Massive NE Snowstorm

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
This topic got me thinking about the tv meteorologists & personalities. I wonder if all areas of the country, or world are similar this way.
In New England growing up, we had Dick Albert as THE meteoroligist. Not just a weather man, but a nice man, a funny man. He gave more than just the forecast. Always tried to teach you something. For lack of a better term, he was beloved.
We had Shelby Scott. If ever we had a bad storm, she was out in it. Always up to her :censored2: in a snow bank.ome
You New England guys of course remember Chet & Natilie. And we cant forget Al Kaprielian.
So my question is, is it the same in your area. Do you have tv personalities that you remember fondly. Someone you always watch? Some real characters???

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our local weather personality is Tom Messner. He has been reporting the weather here for the past 20 years or so. He can be seen on the movie "Frozen River". His wife used to teach at our local mddle school before quitting to become an author. Tom likes to visit kids at our local schools and they all love to see him.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Our local weather personality is Tom Messner. He has been reporting the weather here for the past 20 years or so. He can be seen on the movie "Frozen River". His wife used to teach at our local mddle school before quitting to become an author. Tom likes to visit kids at our local schools and they all love to see him.
Thats pretty cool.These days, for the most part, it almost seems like a beauty contest on the news. Each station trying to outdo each other with a better looking news anchor, reporter, etc. Idk, I guess no real substance???? Hey, sex sells right?

moreluck

golden ticket member
BishR20130210_low.jpg

over9five

Staff member
This topic got me thinking about the tv meteorologists & personalities. I wonder if all areas of the country, or world are similar this way.
In New England growing up, we had Dick Albert as THE meteoroligist. Not just a weather man, but a nice man, a funny man. He gave more than just the forecast. Always tried to teach you something. For lack of a better term, he was beloved.
We had Shelby Scott. If ever we had a bad storm, she was out in it. Always up to her :censored2: in a snow bank.ome
You New England guys of course remember Chet & Natilie. And we cant forget Al Kaprielian.
So my question is, is it the same in your area. Do you have tv personalities that you remember fondly. Someone you always watch? Some real characters???

In New England growing up, we had Don Kent. (Before Dickie's time). Kent was a real meteorologist before there were the computer "models" that the current TV stars rely so heavily on now.

Don Kent, 92; WBZ-TV weatherman whose gimmick was credibility - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

Last edited by a moderator:

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

In New England growing up, we had Don Kent. (Before Dickie's time). Kent was a real meteorologist before there were the computer "models" that the current TV stars rely so heavily on now.

Don Kent, 92; WBZ-TV weatherman whose gimmick was credibility - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe
Before my time, but sure know the name. I love the old maps. Not like today's graphics

ROSCOE

here in ct we got up to 40 inches .... 10:45 am sunday and my road is still not plowed .
Question is im in my 30 day seinority...can they hold it against me if i cant get to work on monday?

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Harry Wappler

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

here in ct we got up to 40 inches .... 10:45 am sunday and my road is still not plowed .
Question is im in my 30 day seinority...can they hold it against me if i cant get to work on monday?

If you can't make it in,that's life.
Milford took the cake at 38 inches...
Milford Gets Most Snow In Tri-State Region - Milford, CT Patch

How could Milford take the cake with 38" when ROSCOE just said they got 40" where he lives?

This is why it is best to leave threads such as these to those who are actually going through it. Google is nice but it does not give you context. ROSCOE has context---his road hasn't been touched yet while your wife busted her butt shoveling your fairly short driveway before you came home from work. This is why I get so upset at moreluck when she posts about Nemo and Sandy from 3,000 miles away----she has no context.

ROSCOE---go to upsers.com to see if there any operational updates for your center. If the road is still not plowed by tomorrow morning, take your cell phone out to the street, take a picture and send it to your supervisor. Follow that up with a phone call. If you can make it our of your driveway but that's as far as you can get there is nothing that you can do about it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
How could Milford take the cake with 38" when ROSCOE just said they got 40" where he lives?

This is why it is best to leave threads such as these to those who are actually going through it. Google is nice but it does not give you context. ROSCOE has context---his road hasn't been touched yet while your wife busted her butt shoveling your fairly short driveway before you came home from work. This is why I get so upset at moreluck when she posts about Nemo and Sandy from 3,000 miles away----she has no context.

ROSCOE---go to upsers.com to see if there any operational updates for your center. If the road is still not plowed by tomorrow morning, take your cell phone out to the street, take a picture and send it to your supervisor. Follow that up with a phone call. If you can make it our of your driveway but that's as far as you can get there is nothing that you can do about it.
Oh yeah, remember how you said Sandy was going to U-turn and go out to sea.....good times.....so funny!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was wrong but then again you didn't see me repeatedly copy and paste or post links about a storm with which I had no context.

We got 10" from the storm on Friday. Made for a really tough day. They got upwards of 40" in other areas. The only context I have that allows me to relate to this is when I lived in Mass and we had the Blizzard of '78. So, since I lacked context I have refrained from posting on the impact this storm has had on the area as I am not there nor am I going through it. Our roads are plowed and my parking lot has been cleaned out. Tomorrow it is going to 40 degrees.

C&P and posting links from 3,000 miles away does not give you the context for what ROSCOE, Over, Heff, Sleeve and Baba are going through.

moreluck

golden ticket member
News events and pictures of the events are almost instantaneous today.......no more 5 day pony express for the 3000 miles.
Catch up......get with the times!!

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Ever think on walking ?
Use snow shoes , cross country skis ?
They remember those that show up , even if you're late .
It's because you made the effort .
Where ever I have worked , those that live the far away always seem to make it in , yet those who live close by never do.

ROSCOE

this is a pic of my street 12:07 pm feb 10th....if you look at snow total for hamden ct you will see the 40 inches,
was informed that town plows may not get to us till tuesday....

photo[1].jpg
photo[1].jpg