New Contract Effectiveness (On Topic)

Over disciplined0123

See we all need to get along and stay strong not divided UPS loves to see that and employees bitching about their union We at UPS are probably the last of strong unions left .. well used to be stronger. Only way we will win this contract being in our favor is sticking together and keeping each other informed

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
See we all need to get along and stay strong not divided UPS loves to see that and employees bitching about their union We at UPS are probably the last of strong unions left .. well used to be stronger. Only way we will win this contract being in our favor is sticking together and keeping each other informed

Sad to say. Unions are just as corrupt as our government now. It is on it's way to extinction. They let the Democrats put in a bill(omnibus bill\obama dem lead congress). Which gave unions the right to cut pensions. The union backed money pit. Where all of our union monies go.

Other unions are following suit. If the constitutional convention is voted for in NY state. All pensions will be cut for public service members. Of course a no vote counts as a yes. The Democratic way of these liberal states. This is how the states and unions get out of the pensions. I just hope insurance isn't lost. The last great thing not cut so far.

I really think UPS wants us to walk. They have the upper hand.

Sad to say. Unions are just as corrupt as our government now. It is on it's way to extinction. They let the Democrats put in a bill(omnibus bill\obama dem lead congress). Which gave unions the right to cut pensions. The union backed money pit. Where all of our union monies go.

Other unions are following suit. If the constitutional convention is voted for in NY state. All pensions will be cut for public service members. Of course a no vote counts as a yes. The Democratic way of these liberal states. This is how the states and unions get out of the pensions. I just hope insurance isn't lost. The last great thing not cut so far.

I really think UPS wants us to walk. They have the upper hand.
If UPS was still a private company I would agree with you. They are too worried about the shareholders and even a whisper of a strike would make the stock tumble.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If UPS was still a private company I would agree with you. They are too worried about the shareholders and even a whisper of a strike would make the stock tumble.
Only for a short time. Say we walk. Hire PVD or merge w say amazon for delivery. For say 20 an hr. Do you think UPS would do it?we would still be outside looking in. Ups killed the union in the last contract. The Union hasn't seen it yet

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
in all honesty, sad to say - if you are missing money from your check, a non-union company is MUCH MUCH easier to deal with and get it corrected than dealing with corrupt union, and company. One phone call to the DOL hours and wages division will get any non-union companies attention. However, with a union, you must be put on hold and find the red tape.

Article 17, any shortages over $40 for full time employees and over $20 for part time emoloyees will be paid by the end of the second day after the employee reports the shortage. If the error is the company's fault and they don't cut you a check in two days, they must pay you an additional half a day's pay for every pay period the check is late. Does the DOL offer that kind of protection?

Also, one difference between Unions looking out for workers and the government looking out for workers is that Unions make sure everyone gets a pay increase, not just minimum wage earners.

Article 17, any shortages over $40 for full time employees and over $20 for part time emoloyees will be paid by the end of the second day after the employee reports the shortage. If the error is the company's fault and they don't cut you a check in two days, they must pay you an additional half a day's pay for every pay period the check is late. Does the DOL offer that kind of protection?

Also, one difference between Unions looking out for workers and the government looking out for workers is that Unions make sure everyone gets a pay increase, not just minimum wage earners.
The union hasn't done D* for the part timers.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The union hasn't done D* for the part timers.
We had a meeting to discuss the contract at our union hall, and that came up. A lot of that has to do with how little attention the part timers pay to the contract negotiation process, and how uninvolved they are in the union itself. So many part timers don't take the job seriously as a career path, so that the ones who do tend to get crowded out. I suggested that it was up to the full timers, and in our best interest, to make sure the part timers were looked out for. Another full timer suggested we agree to only cost of living for the next contract so we can go after better conditions for part timers and benefits for retirees.

We had a meeting to discuss the contract at our union hall, and that came up. A lot of that has to do with how little attention the part timers pay to the contract negotiation process, and how uninvolved they are in the union itself. So many part timers don't take the job seriously as a career path, so that the ones who do tend to get crowded out. I suggested that it was up to the full timers, and in our best interest, to make sure the part timers were looked out for. Another full timer suggested we agree to only cost of living for the next contract so we can go after better conditions for part timers and benefits for retirees.
That's exactly what the company wants. Less for us and a little more for the part timers that don't stick around. It's a big win for the company just like the part time pension. They pay the money in to it but few collect it. The part timers should have a matching 401k so when they quit after a year or so at least they have a little something.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That's exactly what the company wants. Less for us and a little more for the part timers that don't stick around. It's a big win for the company just like the part time pension. They pay the money in to it but few collect it. The part timers should have a matching 401k so when they quit after a year or so at least they have a little something.
I'm pretty happy with the pay level I make/will make, as long as that keeps up with inflation I can't complain. If we can get the part timers to stick around a little longer by negotiating better terms for them, then our cars may eventually be loaded properly, and we can maybe get out of the building after PCM instead of 30 minutes later.
Don't know how the pension works where you are, but here the pension money goes to the same place whether you are a part timer or full, and the company can't touch it. Money that goes in for unvested members who quit before vesting benefits everyone who draws or will draw on the pension by helping to keep it solvent.

I'm pretty happy with the pay level I make/will make, as long as that keeps up with inflation I can't complain. If we can get the part timers to stick around a little longer by negotiating better terms for them, then our cars may eventually be loaded properly, and we can maybe get out of the building after PCM instead of 30 minutes later.
$10 bucks an hour with a 3.5 hours guarantee isn't a good labor wage. Plus no benefits, paid holidays or sick time not much reason for many of them to stick around. And that's exactly what the company wants.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
$10 bucks an hour with a 3.5 hours guarantee isn't a good labor wage. Plus no benefits, paid holidays or sick time not much reason for many of them to stick around. And that's exactly what the company wants.
I'm not following. Does the company want to give more to the part timers or not? Pretty sure part timers get paid holidays and sick time. Or do they not where you are? That would suck. Is this what the company is trying to negotiate for? I'm fairly certain that the company is feeling the pain of high part timer turn over, and I'm happy to maintain what I have to make it easier to negotiate better terms for part timers.

I'm not following. Does the company want to give more to the part timers or not? Pretty sure part timers get paid holidays and sick time. Is this what the company is trying to negotiate for? I'm fairly certain that the company is feeling the pain of high part timer turn over, and I'm happy to maintain what I have to make it easier to negotiate better terms for part timers.
They have to work a year before they get anything. They want a high turnover in unskilled labor.

I knew they had to work a year to get insurance. Thought the rest was up front/automatic. Those things definitely need to change.
They have to work 3 years to get all of the paid sick/personal/ option time.

Small give backs over the years add up. The money always goes to the drivers....they vote.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Only for a short time. Say we walk. Hire PVD or merge w say amazon for delivery. For say 20 an hr. Do you think UPS would do it?we would still be outside looking in. Ups killed the union in the last contract. The Union hasn't seen it yet
You think 300,000 employees losing their jobs would be without recourse?