NFL Boycott - Will FedEx Peak be easier...in current events?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
If you cut tax rates, and eliminate deductions not available to all businesses, at the same time, you get a fairer system and a level playing field.
Property taxes are manipulated like that all the time.
Eliminate ALL deductions and simplify the tax rate. Make everyone pay something.
Sound familiar? Did Trump already propose that?
Then why is repeal of the AMT in the taxcode rewrite?

bbsam

Staff member
Texas and California combined contribute almost 25% of the U.S. GDP. Removing them through secession would bankrupt the U.S. economy. Be careful what you wish for. Being cutesy isn't the same thing as being intelligent.
Texas would be annexed by Texas in 48 hours.

California would have one very large trading partner to it's east that the two would find mutually beneficial.

vantexan

..."And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave..."

This verse doesn't get a lot of play, but Mssr. Key was as racist as racist comes.

He believed blacks were “a distinct and inferior race of people, which all experience proves to be the greatest evil that afflicts a community.”

Land of the free, indeed.

But you know, that's history, so why dwell?
What were you quoting from? And it's my understanding that verse referred to the attacking British soldiers. Nice try putting a racist spin on it. The Left seems determined to tear down every symbol of the past, and ultimately tear down the Constitution, rewriting everything to their satisfaction. With the ultimate goal of remaking the U.S. into some fantastical utopia.

BrownArmy

If it's real history, we must change it.
So goes the thought process with the left-wing cuckservatives.

Not change it, but be aware of the circumstances and facts.

I’m not for taking down Confederate statues either, but we should be frank and aware of their history.

I’m not for changing history, but certainly I’m for being aware and knowledgeable about history.

Being ignorant of where we came from and how we got here is almost worse than erasing or revising history.

YMMV.

vantexan

How fast do you think The Lone Star Country could "build the wall"?
I'm assuming you meant Mexico would annex Texas, not "Texas would annex Texas...?" Ever heard of defense alliances? And there are a lot of Hispanics in Texas who are flat out against Mexico. They don't want what Mexico is selling. The vast majority of Texans are also patriotic Americans. Texas has one of the highest rates of military service. California on the other hand has a lot of Leftists who don't believe in the U.S the way other citizens do. So between the two no doubt California would be the one to secede if it ever came to that.

BrownArmy

What were you quoting from? And it's my understanding that verse referred to the attacking British soldiers. Nice try putting a racist spin on it. The Left seems determined to tear down every symbol of the past, and ultimately tear down the Constitution, rewriting everything to their satisfaction. With the ultimate goal of remaking the U.S. into some fantastical utopia.

I’m quoting Key, those are his lines. Key was a rabid defender of slavery and took such offense that blacks would join the British army (when, at that point they had much better odds at gaining freedom than they did of fighting for the colonists) that he wrote that ‘their blood has wash’d out their foul footsteps pollution’...

Key was a lawyer and tried to have a man hanged for merely possessing abolitionist literature.

Land of the free indeed, unless you’re a slave.

Let’s not forget that it was over a hundred years later that Keys’ poem was made the National Anthem.

I’m not saying get rid of the anthem, but why do these facts upset you so?

vantexan

I’m quoting Key, those are his lines. Key was a rabid defender of slavery and took such offense that blacks would join the British army (when, at that point they had much better odds at gaining freedom than they did of fighting for the colonists) that he wrote that ‘their blood has wash’d out their foul footsteps pollution’...

Key was a lawyer and tried to have a man hanged for merely possessing abolitionist literature.

Land of the free indeed, unless you’re a slave.

Let’s not forget that it was over a hundred years later that Keys’ poem was made the National Anthem.

I’m not saying get rid of the anthem, but why do these facts upset you so?
What upsets me is the purity tests being ascribed to literally everything. So what if he was a racist? The verses we use for the Anthem capture a moment that's symbolic of the fight endured to create a country that was very different from the tyranny people came from. Or would you prefer a country where people can't speak out against their government? For all of it's faults the U.S. started a movement that has made Europe a very different place than it was and has greatly influenced so many other movements worldwide. Do you really want a massive centralized gov't running every aspect of our lives? Because it seems the Left in the U.S. wants that, and is actively trying to remove any reminders of what we were and what we came out of.

Serf

What it comes down to is this: The proverbial table in which we are to come together to discuss issues was literally and figuratively built by Caucasian people. As was the Country. Albeit, with the help of our African brothers. The fact that inconvenient truths exist in our history is why the powers that be are literally rebranding, rebuilding, renaming, everything that once was.

BrownArmy

What upsets me is the purity tests being ascribed to literally everything. So what if he was a racist? The verses we use for the Anthem capture a moment that's symbolic of the fight endured to create a country that was very different from the tyranny people came from. Or would you prefer a country where people can't speak out against their government? For all of it's faults the U.S. started a movement that has made Europe a very different place than it was and has greatly influenced so many other movements worldwide. Do you really want a massive centralized gov't running every aspect of our lives? Because it seems the Left in the U.S. wants that, and is actively trying to remove any reminders of what we were and what we came out of.

Um, I don’t recall rooting for a massive centralized government, and I think the anthem should stand, so there’s that.

BrownArmy

Well then you aren't paying attention because that's the direction the Left is trying to move us.

And you aren’t paying attention if you think the ‘left’ is the only party trying to move us toward massive centralized government.

The ‘right’ talks about it in a different way, but the end result is the same.

bbsam

Staff member
Well then you aren't paying attention because that's the direction the Left is trying to move us.
The Left isn't even in power. You aren't saying they should shut up, are you?

And if a locality votes to remove what it considers an objectionable piece of history, well isn't that how democracy works?

MAKAVELI

Purity tests? You mean like how if you don't stand for the anthem you're not patriotic or disrespecting the flag?