Not a win for Local 804

804 member

I am glad the drivers got their job back but at a price.

Each driver loses 10 days for suspension, $250,000 of our dues and Liam banned from any UPS facility.

If anyone calls this a victory like they claimed with the Melville mess they haven't a clue.

browned out

This is a long way from over and legal action should be forthcoming from the non management parties involved. I will not repost here again what I have posted in other related posts. The drivers are not bound to the union and company agreed to 2 week suspension and have many other legal avenues they will pursue.

teamster 804

I will agree no victory here whatsoever,bottom line should never have happened.You would think after mistake was made previously in Melville there would have been a lesson learned.Obviously lesson was not learned it lost our local money back then and even more money this time.Thankfully it did not cost 250 members there jobs, although it cost them a couple of thousand a piece which i am sure to some of them it was a big blow.They should never had followed Liam out the door and by no means Liam should have led them out the door knowing and stating to all of them that there was a chance they could be fired or suspended.His actions were reckless and inexcusable he has cost this local and our drivers alot of money.By his actions he could have destroyed our local financially if this did not work out.He should not be working on our dime any longer.I support our local and alot of guys i work with do also, and we all agree the man does not deserve to keep his job.He is supposed to be a business agent to help keep our brothers and sisters employed not deliberately put them in harms way to lose there jobs.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would be ticked off if my union dues went up to pay for the 250 who walked. Do the crime and pay the fine.

By the way, I hope the union negotiates that number down. Lets see the numbers in real time.

UPSGUY72

This is a long way from over and legal action should be forthcoming from the non management parties involved. I will not repost here again what I have posted in other related posts. The drivers are not bound to the union and company agreed to 2 week suspension and have many other legal avenues they will pursue.

I would think that each driver would have to sign a paper agreeing to the settlement and if they refused than they would be unemployed......

Fragile

I would be ticked off if my union dues went up to pay for the 250 who walked. Do the crime and pay the fine.

By the way, I hope the union negotiates that number down. Lets see the numbers in real time.

Let's see if everyone will keep that in mind when you get terminated.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Let's see if everyone will keep that in mind when you get terminated.

Terminated? For what?

Keep in mind, I was in full support of the drivers keeping their jobs. However, I don't think the innocent should pay for action of others. Also, we really don't know the final numbers, do we?

browned out

I would think that each driver would have to sign a paper agreeing to the settlement and if they refused than they would be unemployed......

Even if drivers sign off on, or accept the 2 week suspension, they can still file a complaint thru the Nlrb or other government agencies.

Was Reyes granted his Weingarten rights?

Mack Grant

I am glad the drivers got their job back but at a price.

Each driver loses 10 days for suspension, $250,000 of our dues and Liam banned from any UPS facility.

If anyone calls this a victory like they claimed with the Melville mess they haven't a clue.
It's pretty obvious that Liam had a grudge against the company, but it was unfortunate the way he went about exercising the grudge at the potential cost of those drivers.
I didn't think the drivers would be reinstated and am glad that cooler heads prevailed.
Would like to see Liam take the long walk off a short plank, having been barred from any facility he's pretty much useless now.

Fragile

Even if drivers sign off on, or accept the 2 week suspension, they can still file a complaint thru the Nlrb or other government agencies.

What makes anyone think the NLRA will protect drivers involved in the walkout? The NLRA specifically outlaws anyone who wildcats or participates in a illegal job action? The supreme court has ruled in the past that once you wildcat you are beginning to bargain out of your collective bargaining agreement and therefore not entitled to any contractual rights authorized strikers would be. (See Emporium Capwell Co. v. Western Addition Community Organization)

So whether Reyes was granted his Weingarten rights has absolutely nothing to do with it. If he wasn't, he may be the only one who has any kind of case with the NLRB.

UPSGUY72

IF they have to sign anything they are going to sign there rights away to grieve the punishment. Also the union brass has made an agreement with UPS to get these drivers there jobs back you think they are going to back a driver in 804 that files a grievance about this situation..... :rofl:

browned out

IF they have to sign anything they are going to sign there rights away to grieve the punishment. Also the union brass has made an agreement with UPS to get these drivers there jobs back you think they are going to back a driver in 804 that files a grievance about this situation..... :rofl:

It would be illegal For Ups to include any language restricting
an employees rights under federal law. Rest assured that Ups legal knows this and they would not be so incompetent to try to do so.

If Reyes wants to take action, he can. If ups is found to have violated his rights, he would get bsck pay and have his record expunged regarding this discharge.

Other drivers than could be able to take action based on the fact that the government has found UPS in violation and therefore the drivers would not be in violation of the contract.

The government does not rely on what UPS or the union actions are.

oldngray

nowhere special
The drivers can reject the settlement with 10 day suspension and try to fight UPS on their own but would be terminated until if and when they were able to win a case against UPS. Even if they won the arbitration would probably be time off with no pay so they would probably lose more by fighting. Yes, they can reject the current settlement but would be stupid if they did. And where did you get that "fact" of the government finding UPS in violation?