Not Drinking Enough water!!!

The same doctors who say hydration is important in heat, also say don't over exert yourself in that same heat. If we get punished for not hydrating properly, IE should get punished for forcing us to over exert ourselves and management should get punished for not having the balls to stand up to IE in defense of their drivers, about whose safety they are deeply concerned.

UPSGUY72

The same doctors who say hydration is important in heat, also say don't over exert yourself in that same heat. If we get punished for not hydrating properly, IE should get punished for forcing us to over exert ourselves and management should get punished for not having the balls to stand up to IE in defense of their drivers, about whose safety they are deeply concerned.

What you don't understand is that everything comes down to profits. UPS will try to squeeze every penny than can get out of every part of their operations to deliver profits to there shareholders..... Eventually the IE people won't be able to squeeze anymore of those penny out and someone will figure out that some of the bright ideas that the IE desk jockeys came up with are costing the company more money to implement and run than they are getting in return. Till that day comes your local management team works just as we do as directed in order to keep there job....

I do understand that. That's why all of this safety nonsense is just that; nonsense. UPS does not care about safety; only about making money. They need to be honest and stop being so two faced.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Is it a specific method to stay hydrated by drinking a specific amount of water, or not?

I don't pretend to know the answer to this; I am not a driver supervisor, and I am not a driver.

However, I do know, that if "XYZ" is a specific method, and you don't follow it, however trite it may be, if they want to use it against you, they will use it against it you. That's all I'm saying.
THEY have told drivers to go ahead and dr apartment complex that they feel, in their minds, are "safe". That is not part of the methods. THEY tell drivers a lot of things that go against the methods. One thing is certain- nothing will get solved on this forum. It will make some people feel good about themselves though. Happy Mother's Day to all that it applies to.

curiousbrain

THEY have told drivers to go ahead and dr apartment complex that they feel, in their minds, are "safe". That is not part of the methods. THEY tell drivers a lot of things that go against the methods. One thing is certain- nothing will get solved on this forum. It will make some people feel good about themselves though. Happy Mother's Day to all that it applies to.

I agree, nothing will get solved.

This forum is an exchange of ideas, not a medium of redressing grievances.

It makes me wonder why I post anything, at all, ever ...

UPSGUY72

I do understand that. That's why all of this safety nonsense is just that; nonsense. UPS does not care about safety; only about making money. They need to be honest and stop being so two faced.

They do care about safety but only after you get injured. They also know drivers cut corners everyday in order to get there routes done they could careless as long as there number look good. There number include people getting hurt. When they do a ORO or try to follow you around unnoticed it's just part of there job. If they didn't find something to gig you on then there boss would be saying they weren't doing there job.

If my boss told me I didn't drink enough water I would let it go in one ear and out the other as I do with most of the crap they tell me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
its a CYA action by the company. This will protect them from BS lawsuits in case an employee suffers a heat related injury and claims he/she had NO idea he/she should Hydrate in the heat.

Yeah, I do get that part. Thanks ;)

I was trying to help Mr. Brownbaggin understand that no one has the right to force others to put things into their body, no matter if it is in their "policy" or "rules" on the job, or anywhere else. It's laughable. I believe if the effects from the brown kool-aid wore off, it'd be easier for him/her to understand. :obeyhypnosmiley:

Previously I have been written up more than once for not "having hydration with me". One occurance on-road, I did in fact have hydration closeby, sitting in my lunch bag (an apple and drinkable yoguart) yet the supervisor said neither were a source of water. I laughed at him and refused to sign.

The second time I had just finished drinking a 16 ounce water I had in my bag, and the supervisor auditing safety said I was to always have water nearby. I politely asked him when the two broken down, smashed area bubblers (inside hub) were going to be fixed for use and RTS'd.

Gooood luck with those ticky-tack observations to fill a quota of "not good enoughs". ;)

CharleyHustle

Is it better to have an employer who is concerned about your health, even if it may be in a self-serving way, or one that doesn't care at all?

The high school I deliver to has won a state championship in football. The coach is of course a wonderful and well informed guy. I've heard his speech on hydration before his summer conditioning program and it is pretty much along the lines of what we get at work. The point tho is more focused on if the players correctly hydrate they can workout harder during the summer months and be better conditioned when the games start in the fall. If you cut back the work(out) load when its "too" hot, then forget about getting back to the title game.

Obviously UPS would like to maintain production during difficult conditions. More so, accidents and injuries do to poor hydration are costly and certainly affect the bottom line. I guess it is something that agree with or not I would expect UPS or any other corporation to address.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Is it better to have an employer who is concerned about your health, even if it may be in a self-serving way, or one that doesn't care at all?

The high school I deliver to has won a state championship in football. The coach is of course a wonderful and well informed guy. I've heard his speech on hydration before his summer conditioning program and it is pretty much along the lines of what we get at work. The point tho is more focused on if the players correctly hydrate they can workout harder during the summer months and be better conditioned when the games start in the fall. If you cut back the work(out) load when its "too" hot, then forget about getting back to the title game.

Obviously UPS would like to maintain production during difficult conditions. More so, accidents and injuries do to poor hydration are costly and certainly affect the bottom line. I guess it is something that agree with or not I would expect UPS or any other corporation to address.

I think what frustrates us as employees the most is the amount of lip service and empty gestures that the company offers in regards to safety.

I'm not going to argue the fact that adequate hydration is important, or that it is appropriate for the company to inform us of this fact. The point that I will argue...is that we have heard it already. We have heard it dozens, if not hundreds of times before. If the company was truly concerned about our health and well being during heat emergencies, then the resources that the company is currently devoting (supervisors doing OJS's and sneaking around to spy on us) towards covering its ass would instead be applied towards lowering the dispatch on heat emergency days, or taking steps to lower the temperature inside of the package cars and facilities. None of these things will ever happen, of course; nor do I expect them to. I am well paid for the work that I do and I accept the fact that harsh climactic conditions of all kinds are part of what I accepted when I chose to work here. But I do get really tired of having my intelligence continually insulted by a company who feigns concern for my well being with a bunch of feel-good buzz phrases. When its 100+ outside I dont need "3 bloated salaries in an air-conditioned Lexus" following me around to audit my water intake, what I need is 15 fewer stops and/or a fan in the package car to mitigate the heat. Talk is cheap.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think what frustrates us as employees the most is the amount of lip service and empty gestures that the company offers in regards to safety.

I'm not going to argue the fact that adequate hydration is important, or that it is appropriate for the company to inform us of this fact. The point that I will argue...is that we have heard it already. We have heard it dozens, if not hundreds of times before. If the company was truly concerned about our health and well being during heat emergencies, then the resources that the company is currently devoting (supervisors doing OJS's and sneaking around to spy on us) towards covering its ass would instead be applied towards lowering the dispatch on heat emergency days, or taking steps to lower the temperature inside of the package cars and facilities. None of these things will ever happen, of course; nor do I expect them to. I am well paid for the work that I do and I accept the fact that harsh climactic conditions of all kinds are part of what I accepted when I chose to work here. But I do get really tired of having my intelligence continually insulted by a company who feigns concern for my well being with a bunch of feel-good buzz phrases. When its 100+ outside I dont need "3 bloated salaries in an air-conditioned Lexus" following me around to audit my water intake, what I need is 15 fewer stops and/or a fan in the package car to mitigate the heat. Talk is cheap.
If they were so worried about safety, they would not have one person scanning on preload. Why? Because this is the exact scenario that led to my injury. Imagine, the one scanning now has asked me about my symptoms, what I felt before I-finally- went to the hospital. Go figure he has the same ones. Safety, my ass.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We did an all day S&V and during the 10 hr ride the supervisor noted that driver did not hydrate enough and he documented it. He was supervising you, he was doing his job..period.

Did he do something wrong? No. If you worked at a different company would you still piss and moan about it? Anyone that has their people working in a hot environment are going to make/tell them to stay hydrated. If you were in the military and you were standing down or resting on an op, what do you tell your people...drink water. Landscapers carry water on their trucks...its not for the lawn.

Diet Pepsi - Apples - Yogurt - and everything else you can name are not going to replace..

WATER.

Not interested in you writing on the S&V about clarification on why you are not drinking water.

So once again...to beat the heat.

Start drinking water the night before
Get a good nights rest
Stay hydrated thru out the day
Take your lunch and break (some place cool, make sure you drink water and eat something)
and hope you have 15 less stops that day and don't have to go help someone.

Dragon:grouphugg: