Not Drinking Enough water!!!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This thread makes me laugh. Years ago when being trained as a delivery driver the suit training me finally let me make a delivery to a business on my own while he waited in the package car. It was at a bank where he could watch through the widows every move I made. It was one of the hottest days of the year so I quick grabbed a sip or 2 of water out of the drinking fountain on the way out. As I stepped up into the truck his exact words were "Sure- as soon as I turn my back on you you go to **** on me". He wasn't talking about my delivery methods he was criticizing me for taking extra time to sneak a drink of water. I learned early on that UPS speaks out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to safety issues. I know I have posted this story before but I had to do it again because I know upstate likes to hear my tales of days gone by.
I hope to be able to last long enough to be able to tell tales such as these 15+years from now. This is why I love old timers on BC, the stories over the years are priceless.

brownedout

Is it better to have an employer who is concerned about your health, even if it may be in a self-serving way, or one that doesn't care at all?

The high school I deliver to has won a state championship in football. The coach is of course a wonderful and well informed guy. I've heard his speech on hydration before his summer conditioning program and it is pretty much along the lines of what we get at work. The point tho is more focused on if the players correctly hydrate they can workout harder during the summer months and be better conditioned when the games start in the fall. If you cut back the work(out) load when its "too" hot, then forget about getting back to the title game.

Obviously UPS would like to maintain production during difficult conditions. More so, accidents and injuries do to poor hydration are costly and certainly affect the bottom line. I guess it is something that agree with or not I would expect UPS or any other corporation to address.
Unfortunately it took the heat stroke related death of then Minnesota Viking Korey Stringer to get high school college and even NFL coaches to get serious about their players hydration. When I played HS and College in the early to mid 80's we received 1 water break for a 2 hour practice. Anyone needing or wanting more was not conditioned properly. This philosophy was not unique to my coaches it was rampant through all levels of play. Since the dehydration death of Stringer water and/or sports drinks are available at any time during any practice for any athlete requiring hydration. Equally unfortunately I regretfully feel the need to express it will take a similar tragedy at UPS for management to begin to be truly serious about this hydration matter. Rise above the BS people hydrate properly, do it for yourselves, do it for your families, don't do it because you feel like you're being ordered to.

Last edited:

satellitedriver

I do not drink water, fish have sex in it.......joke.
Never on any OJS ride have I even heard the topic brought up.
Year round I carry a 3gallon Igloo water cooler in my pkg car.
Every morning, while loading my car, I drink a quart of gatoraid. Water during the day, and a quart of Texas well water sweet tea while I eat my lunch.
Hydration is just good common sense.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The actual "method" on the form simply states; "Drinks water throughout the day." To me this is pretty cut and dry and does not require a medical licence. The on road supervisor is simply making an observation from the ride; did he observe the employee drinking water throughout the day. If he did not then he puts a "no" in the box. If he does, he puts a yes.

If you want to get technical, it does specifically state water. Diet Pepsi, or any other soft drink, does not classify as water last time I checked.
Diet Coke is not water? I'm shocked by the ignorant comments. Guess it's not really that important in the grand scheme, but shows how short-sighted the UPS system is.

Johney

The first ingredient listed on Diet Coke is water. Although carbonated it's still water. From my understanding the first ingredients listed are the most that is in a product. So.....

over9five

Staff member
The first ingredient listed on Diet Coke is water. Although carbonated it's still water. From my understanding the first ingredients listed are the most that is in a product. So.....
Same with coffee. Guess what? If you're drinking coffee all day, you're drinking WATER all day.

OCRookie

I am not sure if you guys are being intentionally dense or are just arguing for arguing sake. To call me ignorant for stating Diet Pepsi is not water because you say the main ingredient in Diet Pepsi is water is just ludacris. Clearly water (carbonated) is in Diet Pepsi, but carbonated water does little to nothing in hydrating the body, the same with coffee with it's caffeine.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am not sure if you guys are being intentionally dense or are just arguing for arguing sake. To call me ignorant for stating Diet Pepsi is not water because you say the main ingredient in Diet Pepsi is water is just ludacris. Clearly water (carbonated) is in Diet Pepsi, but carbonated water does little to nothing in hydrating the body, the same with coffee with it's caffeine.
You are wrong and arguing with adults, I was trying to politely inform you that you're misled or otherwise. I'll stop responding, then, the point remains.
"More Info: Many carbonated beverages, such as sodas, beer, and tonic water typically have added sodium, sugar, and calories. As an example one energy drink contains nearly two tablespoons of sugar and three times the amount of caffeine than a can of cola. Seltzer water, or purely carbonated water, usually has no other added ingredients. The carbonation process does not alter the water in such a way that hydration does not occur. Therefore, drinking carbonated water can hydrate you."
Does Carbonated Water Hydrate You? | Sophisticated Edge

" Ludicrous"

P.S. Diet Pepsi is 99% carbonated water.

HomeDelivery

i know that i will feel it the next day when i don't hydrate enough (headaches, muscle aches, etc.)

when I do hydrate enough, my body can recover faster... just common sense <shrugs>

back then when i was an unloader/preloader, i'd have a gallon of diluted gatorade; those were the days of getting paid to work out!

[video=youtube;kA_uR_XkR_w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_uR_XkR_w[/video]

HomeDelivery

Where do leg camps come into play in this water intake talk?

seriously?

traditional theories say that hydration plays a part of this...

Muscle Cramps Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - How can muscle cramps be prevented? on MedicineNet

Good hydration before, during, and after the activity is important, especially if the duration exceeds one hour, and replacement of lost electrolytes(especially sodium and potassium, which are major components of perspiration) can also be helpful. Excessive fatigue, especially in warm weather, should be avoided.

another common-sense thinking for me, eventhough later medical studies are starting to question it.

----------------------------

everyone's different with dealing with dehydration; let the person gauge his / her own intake depending on their own physical limits, not the management's forcing this crap on you.

I normally take a gallon of fluids with me, but it's not summer time yet & some days i don't finish off the whole gallon.(summertime, though, is when i take 2-3 gallons on board)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No One ever said it was a bad Idea, its common sense. What we/I have said is our supervisory team should not judge what is enough. They dont know what enough work is, on our trucks. I dont think they are qualified to judge how much water in my body is enough. They can suggest it all day, and talk about it ad nauseum, just like they do safety. But they are not the jury, or the judge.

tourists24

No One ever said it was a bad Idea, its common sense. What we/I have said is our supervisory team should not judge what is enough. They dont know what enough work is, on our trucks. I dont think they are qualified to judge how much water in my body is enough. They can suggest it all day, and talk about it ad nauseum, just like they do safety. But they are not the jury, or the judge.
Management has absolutely no clue how much water it actually takes. They are "told" by higher ups and that is the word

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Management has absolutely no clue how much water it actually takes. They are "told" by higher ups and that is the word
Yea the same ones who decided we should pull in our mirror at every stop.............
I know I know I need to drink, I drink. I know what I need. And as much as they would like to say heat exhaustion can be eliminated by drinking, the heat of the car, the roads, whether country or city area add to it, and guess what, sometimes it just dont matter. If your body suddenly says, thats it Ive had enough, you are going down.
You could have a heart problem, you dont know about, or a kidney ailment. And all the water in the world will not help, and could hurt. Yes 12 pages of a person telling you how to drink, when they sit at a desk.
Ill do all the little fancy exercises in futility, stretching etc, which Ive already done before I leave my home. . I drink all day, and as much as I need. I have bottles of water all over my truck, I do it for ME. I so far want to live in the heat. I have ice, to cool myself. if I run out I will pull to go get it, safety first.
if I have to go off area, I will. its just so stupid, I work for an excellent company, quit treating us like idiots.