Numbers game - PPH

pretzel_man

wrong...good quality service pays us...........something this co has lost sight of....get real upservice people back on the board...............remember the kool aid will kill us all.

Delivering service at a VALUE is the goal....

The definition of Value is Quality / Cost.

Remember, we are no longer the low cost provider. Customers don't want to pay the high prices and shareowners have choices where to invest.

We not only have to provide service, but we have to do it at a cost the customers can afford.

Poor service will put us out of business. But so will perfect service at a low margin.

Some may remember the years where we only focused on Quality..... Do you know what happened?

Costs went through the roof, and service also got worse.

We need to provide service AND focust on PPH and production.

Sorry, but thats how it is. Its been that way forever.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Remember, we are no longer the low cost provider. Customers don't want to pay the high prices and shareowners have choices where to invest.

We not only have to provide service, but we have to do it at a cost the customers can afford.

Poor service will put us out of business. But so will perfect service at a low margin.

Some may remember the years where we only focused on Quality..... Do you know what happened?

I can't believe "they" are making you work on Labor Day Weekend.

even for management...we are there before you get there and long after you leave.....
Come on you are coaching your son or daughters little league games while I'm delivering at seven o'clock and smelling everyone's steak on the grill. Hay ups guy you want a beer no I've still got 10 stops left and by the time I get home I'll be to tired for a beer.

annoyed804

annoyed804

Pretzel man......can you stop and open your eyes....when you deliver good quality service everything else falls into place. It's when you send packages down the belts on the preload at a rate where it's hard to keep up that damages occur, now it takes man hours to rewrap and repair. When the loaders can not keep up and the drivers have to stop and fix their loads it's wasted hours. Sups going out on the road to move or deliver off routes....more wasted time......pph is a number that has gotten out of control, unless of course you are one of the I.e dept. Puppets who can make anything work on paper but not in a real life situation......bring back the service and save the company....maybe a few less non upsers on the board of directors would help.

pretzel_man

Pretzel man......can you stop and open your eyes....when you deliver good quality service everything else falls into place. It's when you send packages down the belts on the preload at a rate where it's hard to keep up that damages occur, now it takes man hours to rewrap and repair. When the loaders can not keep up and the drivers have to stop and fix their loads it's wasted hours. Sups going out on the road to move or deliver off routes....more wasted time......pph is a number that has gotten out of control, unless of course you are one of the I.e dept. Puppets who can make anything work on paper but not in a real life situation......bring back the service and save the company....maybe a few less non upsers on the board of directors would help.

Everything you say is true (at least most things), and they have been true since George Smith's day.

It does not change my point that I expect PPH AND service. You even make that point. Have a good managed flow, and cost can be reduced.

My eyes are open and I also have the benefit of many years of experience behind me. I lived through a time where we said all that cost didn't matter. Where every time there was a problem, we added staff to take care of it.

Do you know what happened ? BOTH cost and service got worse.

Production problems is managment's failure, as you outlined. The answer is NOT to give up on the metric, but to better manage to it.

annoyed804

Everything you say is true (at least most things), and they have been true since George Smith's day.

It does not change my point that I expect PPH AND service. You even make that point. Have a good managed flow, and cost can be reduced.

My eyes are open and I also have the benefit of many years of experience behind me. I lived through a time where we said all that cost didn't matter. Where every time there was a problem, we added staff to take care of it.

Do you know what happened ? BOTH cost and service got worse.

Production problems is managment's failure, as you outlined. The answer is NOT to give up on the metric, but to better manage to it.

the two words that you should remember are...............reasonable expectations, and here is another quote...........an honest days pay for and honest days work...........remember we are not machines.

blue741

How's PPH calculated for loaders? Is it from the time you start and clock out? A lot of times I help out other loaders at the end of my shift. My manager has been giving me crap lately because I couldn't reach 210 PPH.

8up

i just saw a report on GSR, (Guaranteed Service Refund). we guaranteed (TiT),time-in-transit, and when we don't make it, for whatever reason we pay for it, the entire cost of the package. The report listed 687 packages, at a total refund of $10.877.80, the report was only showing a one day run 9/26. If this is representative of the other sort days in Sept. how then are we making any money? I saw everything from pm service failure, rail failure, feeder failure, air mech failure, late by day, late by time. I would hope that these report is not like this everyday. I'm afraid to ask, it probably was not meant to be left out to be seen by just anyone.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I may be wrong but I believe GSR has been changed to where the refund is not for the full original shipping cost but only for the difference between that cost and the next level of service. For example, if you have a NDA EAM that is late, the shipper would only get the difference between NDA EAM and NDA.

pretzel_man

I may be wrong but I believe GSR has been changed to where the refund is not for the full original shipping cost but only for the difference between that cost and the next level of service. For example, if you have a NDA EAM that is late, the shipper would only get the difference between NDA EAM and NDA.

Pretty sure the GSR is for the whole shipping charge. I have not seen anything different....

We ship 15 million packages a day. If 1% are late (which is great service), that's still 150,000 late packages a day.

It just goes with the territory.

8up

Pretty sure the GSR is for the whole shipping charge. I have not seen anything different....

We ship 15 million packages a day. If 1% are late (which is great service), that's still 150,000 late packages a day.

It just goes with the territory.

well if that is acceptable, i guess i can live with that and know that the future is secure from us going broke. thank you for that perspective, although i would not want that 1% to be my NDA package that might be extremely important, at least to me.

pretzel_man

well if that is acceptable, i guess i can live with that and know that the future is secure from us going broke. thank you for that perspective, although i would not want that 1% to be my NDA package that might be extremely important, at least to me.

I used the 1% as an example....

You may not know it, but UPS has a system that checks every single package on whether it makes service. The system also checks if we provided proper visibility on the package.

Before that system, we really did not know our % of on time service. We would sample, audit, etc. Now we know, and service has improved greatly since then.

Last I saw, our ground service was significantly better than the competition. Air service was about identical to the competition and at a very high rate. Much higher than 99%.

egorj26

Your PPH relates to how efficent you are running you sort. The higher your PPH is the more cost efficent your sort is. If you PPH is low you are not running a cost efficent sort, this in turn cost your sort money and you center money. If a local sort allows a damage package to go out this also affect the cost of the local sort and the center.

jace1319

if your perception that pph is basically pointless why do you think the company stresses that so much? i can tell 1/3 of these people dont know how to manage a business no wonder their below a pt sup in which they love to criticize. friend/t or p/t hourly no matter how much you can try put down a p/t sup.. we're still above.. and no matter your pay rate you will always do as instructed by a person that probably makes alot less than you =]

menotyou

bella amicizia
if your perception that pph is basically pointless why do you think the company stresses that so much? i can tell 1/3 of these people dont know how to manage a business no wonder their below a pt sup in which they love to criticize. friend/t or p/t hourly no matter how much you can try put down a p/t sup.. we're still above.. and no matter your pay rate you will always do as instructed by a person that probably makes alot less than you =]

Which would you rather be?
1)dumb truck driver who makes $80,000
Or
2)pt sup who make $25,000, but can give an order

Gee, that is soooooo difficult. Whatever will I chose?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The PT sup position would be ideal for a college student looking to both take advantage of the tuition reimbursement and the plus of having "UPS Management" on their resume. With the direction the company is taking if I were a PT sup I would be updating my resume and applying for work elsewhere upon my graduation from college.

We have two PT sups who "run" the preload. The PDS actually runs the preload and has his two puppets to "supervise" the loaders, which involves little more than handing them add/cut sheets and taking down the lane number placards as the preload wraps up. They are clearly underutilized and are not being prepped for possible advancement. I don't see either of them with the company beyond the next 5 years, if not sooner.

Yes, drivers make $80K with benefits, but a PT sup who bides his time and gets their degree can parlay that experience in to a mgt position elsewhere easily making $80K or more.