"On Topic" Unity+Solidarity=Teamwork =Change

Turdferguson

Just a turd
1. If you step off the roof of a ten story building you will fall to the ground.
Not necessarily. Safety harness hooked to belt would keep you from falling, I could go on but I don't wish to be off topic.
So tell me what these universal truths are that no reasonable person could disagree with in regards to UPS.
Not life but UPS since you have posted this in a UPS discussion thread and proclaimed it to be on topic

Integrity

Binge Poster
Please describe the current culture now, in your opinion, and the culture you are striving to create?

If we all agree with you - then we will work as a team to bring about the change you desire.
If you work for UPS it is the culture you experience every day. If you are ok with it then so be it.

If you think it leaves something to be desired then this discussion is for you.

Who is the we you are spokesperson for?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not necessarily. Safety harness hooked to belt would keep you from falling, I could go on but I don't wish to be off topic.
So tell me what these universal truths are that no reasonable person could disagree with in regards to UPS.
Not life but UPS since you have posted this in a UPS discussion thread and proclaimed it to be on topic
You forgot to mention parachute. But your attempt at defying the absolute truth of gravity and the human realities due to it was expected.

I would say this is a fair UPS specific absolute truth:

No UPS employee(even one who may hate his job)who wants to keep his job and continue to earn a living from working at UPS wants UPS to fail.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You forgot to mention parachute. But your attempt at defying the absolute truth of gravity and the human realities due to it was expected.

No UPS employee(even one who may hate his job)who wants to keep his job and continue to earn a living from working at UPS wants UPS to fail.
I didn't forget to mention it. I said I could site other examples but it could be construed as being off topic.
My point before you took it off topic with childish responses was that are no absolute truths that EVERY person subscribes to . Therefore total unity can not be obtained

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

The only absolute truth is that no truth can be truely absolute.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I didn't forget to mention it. I said I could site other examples but it could be construed as being off topic.
My point before you took it off topic with childish responses was that are no absolute truths that EVERY person subscribes to . Therefore total unity can not be obtained

Unity and Solidarity within a workgroup can be a goal and it actually can be obtained.

Subscription to an absolute truth has no bearing on the truth.

Your statement about there being no absolute truths is a self defeating statement.

Do want the culture at your workplace to improve?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Culture is something developed over time, much like in the last 10 years it's gone downhill, it will take 10 more of concerted effort to bring it back up. Ask most anyone on this forum if they'll be here by then, I'd say the majoity won't be. No reason to invest so much time into a change that the company wants to resist due to profitability.

People are just trying to make it to the finish line, I feel for the guys with less than 10 years put in at this place.

35years

Gravy route
Unity and Solidarity within a workgroup can be a goal and it actually can be obtained.

Subscription to an absolute truth has no bearing on the truth.

Your statement about there being no absolute truths is a self defeating statement.

Do want the culture at your workplace to improve?
OK,
You are finally adding some substantial content to your own thread.

I'll bite...

I will agree with you that:

1. relativism is a flawed concept.
Absolute truths exist independent of our acceptance of them.

2. It is in the self interest of every UPS employee that UPS should not fail.

However I disagree that:

1 In the hierarchy of goals, teamwork and/or culture change would likely not be a priority for most workers or the workforce as a whole.

2 Unity is desired by either management or labor. There are strong incentives (monetarily and otherwise) by both to perpetuate the current culture.

3 Having esoteric philosophical debates will not change anything.

In short your goals are not a priority for most UPSers, and in the larger scheme of things are not that important. And no amount of civilized discussion will have a significant impact on entrenched dysfunctional priorities. The UPS culture is a microcosm of the decay of the larger culture as a whole. We may lament the degregation of our once great civilization, but it has it's flaws, and those flaws will cause it to crumble. It's OK, all things temporal are passing. Only that which is eternal is worth the effort.

Integrity

Binge Poster
OK,
You are finally adding some substantial content to your own thread.

I'll bite...

I will agree with you that:

1. relativism is a flawed concept.
Absolute truths exist independent of our acceptance of them.

2. It is in the self interest of every UPS employee that UPS should not fail.

However I disagree that:

1 In the hierarchy of goals, teamwork and/or culture change would likely not be a priority for most workers or the workforce as a whole.

2 Unity is desired by either management or labor. There are strong incentives (monetarily and otherwise) by both to perpetuate the current culture.

3 Having esoteric philosophical debates will not change anything.

In short your goals are not a priority for most UPSers, and in the larger scheme of things are not that important. And no amount of civilized discussion will have a significant impact on entrenched dysfunctional priorities. The UPS culture is a microcosm of the decay of the larger culture as a whole. We may lament the degregation of our once great civilization, but it has it's flaws, and those flaws will cause it to crumble. It's OK, all things temporal are passing. Only that which is eternal is worth the effort.
Awesome post!

The last sentence a big amen to that!

American history reveals that even in light of the fact that the end of this civilization for an eternal civilization is imminent, there have been periods of revolutionary change and revival during our brief history.

Unity of purpose, solidarity of action and the resultant teamwork has led to great change.

This can work for unhappy, disatified workforce.

Sometimes great times of change start with one person with a vision to cast on a dissatisfied, oppressed people.

You never know.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Culture is something developed over time, much like in the last 10 years it's gone downhill, it will take 10 more of concerted effort to bring it back up. Ask most anyone on this forum if they'll be here by then, I'd say the majoity won't be. No reason to invest so much time into a change that the company wants to resist due to profitability.

People are just trying to make it to the finish line, I feel for the guys with less than 10 years put in at this place.
I appreciate you perspective.

This is actually for this guys/gals that are virtually just starting.

Those with time can help intitiate and support change to benefit those who come behind us.

Willingness to sacrifice for the future good has always been a significant theme in times of revolutionary change.