"On Topic" Unity+Solidarity=Teamwork =Change

upschuck

I can't argue long standing big business and big union will have a lot of issues,true.

But unity begins to be established when 2 or more unite(completely agree) on one thing.

It is the "How to eat an elephant approach.-One bite at a time.

One person must take the first step to unite(completely agree) on one thing to establish unity on that one thing.

Then solidarity can then start.
Maybe we need to understand your definition of solidarity, and unity.

A lot of people at UPS don't even think we need a union, and a lot won't give UPS an inch of wiggle room. Get those to agree on anything is a not going to happen.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Maybe we need to understand your definition of solidarity, and unity.

A lot of people at UPS don't even think we need a union, and a lot won't give UPS an inch of wiggle room. Get those to agree on anything is a not going to happen.
Who is this we you are speaking for?

Are you speaking on behalf of a group or for yourself?

I am not concerned about the masses, I am concerned about 2 people.

For this discussion:
Unity: complete agreement in principle to something.

Solidarity: mutual support in feeling and action for this something that they share a mutual personal interest in.

You have to believe that you can get 2 people to agree on something, even if that something is not good.

Can we (you and I) at least agree on this?

FYI
The Company and the Union have already established that agreements can and will be made.

Last edited:

upschuck

For this discussion:

Solidarity: mutual support in feeling and action for this something that they share a mutual personal interest in.

You have to believe that you can get 2 people to agree on something, even if that something is not good.

FYI
The Company and the Union have already established that agreements can and will be made.
2 people agreeing on any subject is not going to change the culture at UPS, which is the theme of this thread.

Integrity

Binge Poster
2 people agreeing on any subject is not going to change the culture at UPS, which is the theme of this thread.

2 people agreeing on something is the start of establishing unity. Once unity is established then solidarity in thought and action toward that something can start;the resultant teamwork in solidarity will facilitate change in any organization.

They have put words on paper, but still don't agree on what those words mean. That is why there is grievances, state panels, etc, etc.

The agreements are made by "The Union" and "The Company" entities that representatives of those entities have entered into on behalf of all those they represent.

The resultant processes are in place for those that are bound by these agreements to iron out difficulties in honoring the agreements that they themselves didn't enter into but had their chosen representatives enter in on their behalf.

Are you demoralized by your experiences?

I know I have asked this before but you have to believe you can get 2 individuals to agree on something, don't you?

upschuck

The resultant processes are in place for those that are bound by these agreements to iron out difficulties in honoring the agreements that they themselves didn't enter into but had their chosen representatives enter in on their behalf.
No, whoever has the best argument at that particular hearing, wins. The outcome changes from case to case.
Are you demoralized by your experiences?
Can't say I am, just a realist.

Integrity

Binge Poster
No, whoever has the best argument at that particular hearing, wins. The outcome changes from case to case.

Can't say I am, just a realist.

Although the local outcome may be disputed the agreement doesn't change until the next contract year and ratification.

Do you agree that 2 people can agree on something?

Integrity

Binge Poster
It is up to interpretation, the contract can be very ambiguous.

Have you read it?

Yes it is up for interpretation. It still does not change the agreement that was entered into by the representative parties.

Yes.

Do you agree that 2 people can come to complete agreement on something?

If you are not going to answer let me know and I will stop asking.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

For this discussion:

FYI

In other words the union is selling us out again. You are telling us to unite and vote Hoffa out. Before our contract. I am all for it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I

I want neither. Sellouts. We need to start fresh

I really don't know the man nor have I done any research on him but I have to think that Hall has his own set of ideas for what he sees as the future of our union.

The days of a "bad ass" Union president are long gone. We need someone with the business savvy to deal with the Company on their own level.

(For some reason Hall with a capital H autocorrects to hall.)