Preload Pay - 2018 Contract (On Topic)

Yolo

My building is bumping up to $15 starting in a week as well. We are in the middle of the country and have no minimum wage worries.

So are the preloaders that are currently making $15/hr getting any sort of bump in pay? Or are they all of a sudden at the same pay rate as newbies?

542thruNthru

Drivers have pay progression and have had regular pay increases for the past 3 decades.

PT car wash makes as much a driver. He's PT so he should get a 5 dollar raise also? We all agree that PT should be paid more but I don't see them raising every PT 5 dollars because new guys now start at 15.

MeLlamoMud

I'm going to disappoint you.
We can't keep new employees to last through first break and you want them to last 90 days? After 30 days they are being offered a PT sup position.
My daughter started in October....they are all pushing her towards pt sup....I told her...dont do it...they will ask you to sell your soul

MeLlamoMud

I feel that part of the problems is PTers aren’t informed. Sure drivers know all about the union and what’s going on but a lot of the new hires don’t even know UPS is unionized unless they develop a relationship with a driver or steward that educates them about union issues (that or they stumble across this forum) others may not know how to vote, or simply don’t stay long enough to hit a voting cycle.

I started a thread on this very topic. They do not know and there is no one to tell them. It is assumed they are suppose to just know and if they don't its their fault. While that is technically true..it doesn't help the cause to ignore the issue of the uninformed.

MeLlamoMud

Ignorance is no excuse. They get a contract book like anyone else. Some choose to read it others do not. They are only short changing themselves.
No book was given to my daughter, so I imagine many other new hires arent getting them either. I went online and found it.

TBH, our benefits are changing and I'm looking for a FT or PT job and keep UPS.

Job security. My president even drops in once in awhile and gives a darn. Talks to all of us if we wanna talk. It's nice he's fighting for the higher pay in our building and attending to all the grievancea. By next month literally everyone around us will be making 15, as we are "fully staffed". We need more routes and new drivers and better PTers.

I just got an email from a large company in my trade who snagged my Indeed and LinkedIn. The starting pay for this physically demanding with overloaded troubleshooting and more work; is 10.50/he to the 13 to 15 an hour you can get standing around at Michael's or Target or everywhere else even the gas stations.

I've sent all my job materials to local cashier jobs. If they're gonna pay me 15 to stand around and run a till, why the fucj would anyone want UPS? $4.50 less pay than for unload.

If they want six days a week and can't open new routes or run timely air, it's the preloaders who end up paying for their fkcj-ups inevitably. Faster, unsafely, varying start times, SmartScan, cuts. Load fifty 30# boxes organized for your driver; oh no sorry move them across the building into a bricked out car.

Did you guys see the article of UPS failing peak? Some of them are pretty damning. I bet you at 15 an hour no preloader would be calling out. Pay outside people more and the inside people spite them because they're bent over.

I once asked a passing-by district manager why they don't use us for loading then helping or PVD. His answer? It'd be unsafe.

UPS suddenly cares of safety when it comes to the razor thin profits on the large amount of scabs. I can tell you definitively that almost everyone worked slower and safer than I've ever seen. The 18 year old can move the 5 refrigerators off the 50 piece cut.

They could pay us 15 and cross train us and double shift us or get outside greenhorns, pay more retain more perform better and that is how you make money, no?

I've had jobs that double shifted 8-12 hours or gone to another job. How is that different for an inside PTer double shifting? Midnight to noon, noon to six, eight, ten. That's not impossible.

Last edited:

Grieve It

Local 174
The point is that you need to know that you want or need one before you can get one. And most PTers aren't even aware that we have a contract.

Many of the drivers also have no clue.

This could be an issue with locals not doing adequate jobs. I know that with my local, everyone in my hub that has 6+ months of seniority (those who stick it out for the long haul), are often aware of the unions hard work. I would like to think that we have one of the most militant locals in the country. Members and union leaders alike.

Nope. Should drivers get a bump also because of these newbies?

Yes. There is enough to go around.

At least in my center, we have to opt in for the union. We’re not required to join as preloaders here. And nobody knows to join since nobody gets word of the union when they start.

I have worked as a preloader for 6 months never got anything from the union. If/when I am forced to join it makes absolutely no sense to pay them for minimum wage horrible hours and bust your ass work! Even with the benefits I don’t see why people would stay the math doesn't make sense. Then you get revolving employees and crappy loads which effects all...