Rail strike

newfie

I still remember drivers tell me they put six bucks away for 30 years and had over $100,000 in their account
some did better than that. rolled the thrift plan money into ups stock before it ipo'd. i knew one shop steward in one of the hubs who was sitting on 300 k in ups stock in 20 years ago money.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Thrift plan was a great Investment
some did better than that. rolled the thrift plan money into ups stock before it ipo'd. i knew one shop steward in one of the hubs who was sitting on 300 k in ups stock in 20 years ago money.

It has been awhile but didn’t they eliminate the “Thrift Plan” prior to the “Stock” going public?

The initial 6 dollar a week investment came back to the employees... the interest gained had to be transferred into UPS stock and then went into a 401k subject to an early withdrawal of 30 percent.

I heard some people left their money in the Thrift Plan rather then bother with the whole process. I believe that all of the thrift plan growth had to do with UPS’s airplane investments. I think it was a match 6 in and UPS contributed another 6.

It has been awhile but didn’t they eliminate the “Thrift Plan” prior to the “Stock” going public?

The initial 6 dollar a week investment came back to the employees... the interest gained had to be transferred into UPS stock and then went into a 401k subject to an early withdrawal of 30 percent.

I heard some people left their money in the Thrift Plan rather then bother with the whole process. I believe that all of the thrift plan growth had to do with UPS’s airplane investments. I think it was a match 6 in and UPS contributed another 6.
I was one that did nothing with my Thrift Plan money. After the IPO it had more than doubled to I think $67k. After a while I moved the money into an IRA account which is now worth over $400k even after the recent reverses.

Mr. Marshall

This company was much different when it was private company.
Those days are long gone
I think people forget about the way it used to be. I thought working at UPS was worse when we were private. As an inside part-time loader there used to be two part sups who did nothing but count us every single day and harass harass harass us. I don't even remember the last time PPH was even brought up. The only thing that was better was fewer hours as a big problem used to be how many drivers were under "8". I understand that being private probably doesn't have much to do with those facts as they are more signs of the times and the employees we are able to get inside but I still think people forget what it was like. I also remember things got much worse for a while after the strike so we will have that to look forward to next year.

I think people forget about the way it used to be. I thought working at UPS was worse when we were private. As an inside part-time loader there used to be two part sups who did nothing but count us every single day and harass harass harass us. I don't even remember the last time PPH was even brought up. The only thing that was better was fewer hours as a big problem used to be how many drivers were under "8". I understand that being private probably doesn't have much to do with those facts as they are more signs of the times and the employees we are able to get inside but I still think people forget what it was like. I also remember things got much worse for a while after the strike so we will have that to look forward to next year.
Next year should be very interesting

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was one that did nothing with my Thrift Plan money. After the IPO it had more than doubled to I think $67k. After a while I moved the money into an IRA account which is now worth over $400k even after the recent reverses.

Dude....

You need to buy a Tesla, and join forces with @wilberforce15 to belittle everyone with talk of

EV cars and superior investment strategies. :biggrin:

Now days the PT sups are too busy doing Union work. File a grievance over sups working and you are lucky if you get 10 cents on the Dollar. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I heard stories about people doing pretty well. I cannot personally confirm it because I was not in it long enough to put much money in.

I can't remember all the details.

At some point (feel free to correct me) it was paying like 22% interest ?

Honestly can't remember why it was shut down. But, you could roll it into an IRA or 401K ?

Thebrownblob

I can't remember all the details.

At some point (feel free to correct me) it was paying like 22% interest ?

Honestly can't remember why it was shut down. But, you could roll it into an IRA or 401K ?
I believe I rolled mine into my 401(k). And I did it when they started telling us we had to. Then I found out others were leaving there and nothing happened to them. I could’ve left it there several more years I just didn’t know it. And yes it was paying something like what you’re talking about.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I believe I rolled mine into my 401(k). And I did it when they started telling us we had to. Then I found out others were leaving there and nothing happened to them. I could’ve left it there several more years I just didn’t know it. And yes it was paying something like what you’re talking about.

There are a lot of "conspiracy" theories on why it existed in the first place.