Rail strike

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I can't remember all the details.

At some point (feel free to correct me) it was paying like 22% interest ?

Honestly can't remember why it was shut down. But, you could roll it into an IRA or 401K ?
It’s was an IRS issue if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
The already had a pretty sweet deal lined up, apparently the sticking point for the two holdout unions was more "unpaid time off".

I have a hard time thinking people here would vote no over not getting 6th punch language if they offered us that money.
You have to understand what an extra board is. You are on the board for weeks at a time. You get called 90 minutes before your start time. You then work 12 hours and the minute you clock out you are allowed 10 hours rest. They will most likely call you 10 hours and 1 minute later. You can do this 6 times in a row before a mandatory 24 hour rest.

So let’s just break it down:

Sunday: Called at 01:00 for 03:00. Work until 15:00

Monday: called at 13:00 for 15:00. Work until midnight

Tuesday: wait all day for a call because lineup says next train is at noon. Actually get called at 23:00. Work from 01:00 Wed until 13:00 Wed.

Wednesday: try and adjust to your now :censored2:ed circadian rhythm. You went to bed at 14:00 and are legally rested at midnight. Also you waited more than 12 hours on Tuesday so you got your own reset.

Thurs: Called at 00:01 for 02:01

Keep going with no days off at all. No sick days allowed either unless you accumulated them or vacation time which is usually after five years. That’s what they’re striking about

MisplacedRailWorker

i find that hard to believe. Most train movements are scheduled and i would think most conductor jobs are scheduled.
the issue being over week end work like everyone else is I'm sure the main issue.
Think again. Even passenger is unpredictable. But freight trains can be posted on a “lineup” and not called for days

And then a new customer pays and next thing you know at 3 AM on Christmas you’re pulling a loaded ethanol train

After waiting for a call for four days how are you gonna be rested at any given time eventually you just go to sleep at night and wake up during the day. So you go to sleep and then get called you have no rest and you’re handling a mile long bomb basically

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You have to understand what an extra board is. You are on the board for weeks at a time. You get called 90 minutes before your start time. You then work 12 hours and the minute you clock out you are allowed 10 hours rest. They will most likely call you 10 hours and 1 minute later. You can do this 6 times in a row before a mandatory 24 hour rest.

Tuesday: wait all day for a call because lineup says next train is at noon. Actually get called at 23:00. Work from 01:00 Wed until 13:00 Wed.

Wednesday: try and adjust to your now :censored2:ed circadian rhythm. You went to bed at 14:00 and are legally rested at midnight. Also you waited more than 12 hours on Tuesday so you got your own reset.

Keep going with no days off at all. No sick days allowed either unless you accumulated them or vacation time which is usually after five years. That’s what they’re striking about
That’s insane

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

So it's like being a new feeder driver.

MisplacedRailWorker

So it's like being a new feeder driver.
No. You have to add in the hotels. You might take a train from Chicago to Cincinnati but it’s an overnight stay and you are not paid for that. Yes the hotel is paid for but you’re only paid if you’re there for more than 36 hours so

Many get left held away for days sometimes.
They stop paying after 24 so you just sit and wait for the next train back. Away from your family. Unpaid.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No. You have to add in the hotels. You might take a train from Chicago to Cincinnati but it’s an overnight stay and you are not paid for that. Yes the hotel is paid for but you’re only paid if you’re there for more than 36 hours so

Many get left held away for days sometimes.
They stop paying after 24 so you just sit and wait for the next train back. Away from your family. Unpaid.
Ya a lot of our new feeder drivers end up on these new sleeper runs the teamsters conceded to in the last contract.

Not a life I want, but they keep coming to feeders, so I guess they're okay with it.

MisplacedRailWorker

Ya a lot of our new feeder drivers end up on these new sleeper runs the teamsters conceded to in the last contract.

Not a life I want, but they keep coming to feeders, so I guess they're okay with it.
Okay but how well are they paid? And let’s gets a little deeper:

Is driving feeders anywhere near as taxing as doing industrial Olympics riding the side of train cars in the worst weather, walking 2 mile inspections up and down or stalling on a hill and having to crank a handbrake wheel every 50 feet on the rear mile end of your train? And then walking back to ride it up a hill, set out half your train in a flat area and then riding your non-hazardous buffer car back 8 miles?

MisplacedRailWorker

Is driving feeders anywhere near as taxing as doing industrial Olympics riding the side of train cars in the worst weather, walking 2 mile inspections up and down or stalling on a hill and having to crank a handbrake wheel every 50 feet on the rear mile end of your train? And then walking back to ride it up a hill, set out half your train in a flat area and then riding your non-hazardous buffer car back 8 miles?
All while giving radio commands and having very narrow side rungs to stand on and hold your entire body weight up

Thebrownblob

Sometimes feeder drivers get to the dounut shop late and miss the long johns, and jelly filled. It traumatic. All that’s left is crappy cake doughnuts.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

All while giving radio commands and having very narrow side rungs to stand on and hold your entire body weight up
Okay buddy.

I've been told that luckily Joe Biden intervened and got them everything they wanted though.

Right?

MisplacedRailWorker

Okay buddy.

I've been told that luckily Joe Biden intervened and got them everything they wanted though.

Right?
Joe Biden can kiss the hairiest part of my @ss. I was told today that any talk of complete negotiation is false because our brothers and sisters that work in the track and signal departments have not yet gotten a new contract.

It’s not about “getting what we want.” It’s a condition of employment that we join the applicable labor union and work as directed in the contract between them and the railroad. That contract expired in 2020.

MisplacedRailWorker

Okay so you think this take by @MisplacedRailWorker is much ado about nothing? They should take the deal your dear supreme leader Robinette got for them?
We just want to be able to, God for bid, have a doctors appointment. Or maybe go on a date. Or if we’ve already been on one maybe have time with a child once a month or a year maybe? And not just be subject to the extra board because $30.95 an hour is not enough to compensate that. $43 an hour where I work is barely enough but all the other railroads are fighting to just get that.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Joe Biden can kiss the hairiest part of my @ss. I was told today that any talk of complete negotiation is false because our brothers and sisters that work in the track and signal departments have not yet gotten a new contract.

It’s not about “getting what we want.” It’s a condition of employment that we join the applicable labor union and work as directed in the contract between them and the railroad. That contract expired in 2020.
If they truly get no days off at all like you say, that's certainly something to strike over.

I don't know the details.
I will say though, we also get zero "sick days". We get 7 option days after 3 years with the company.

MisplacedRailWorker

If they truly get no days off at all like you say, that's certainly something to strike over.

I don't know the details.
I will say though, we also get zero "sick days". We get 7 option days after 3 years with the company.
We are in the same boat. I’m not disagreeing with you, I just want to point out to a fellow craft how evil these railroads are. Just like when I was at UPS but I’m starting to feel like it’s even worse sometimes…