Rail strike

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
I’m a staunch Republican and I can tell you for a fact that while Trump might not have had any impact, Biden made the situation between the union and the carrier much much worse. Blocking a strike, agreeing that “labor does not contribute to profits

That’s a real statement from the CEO of BNSF!

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We are in the same boat. I’m not disagreeing with you, I just want to point out to a fellow craft how evil these railroads are. Just like when I was at UPS but I’m starting to feel like it’s even worse sometimes…
I hope they get a fair deal and make them pay for stalling this for 2 years. This crap where people work under old expired contracts is BS.

It puts the unions in a losing position.
Our new leadership says they won't take that route and I hope they stick to that.

Thebrownblob

I hope they get a fair deal and make them pay for stalling this for 2 years. This crap where people work under old expired contracts is BS.

Our new leadership says they won't take that route and I hope they stick to that.
If the vote no they will be punished by this administration.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
If the vote no they will be punished by this administration.
This administration has punished me in ways beyond sexual assault

Paystub:
8EDBEACE-F343-4450-94B1-7EA78F0E7E78.jpeg

trickpony1

I believe because of the opl stock that they could hide send their earnings overseas

They shut it down because the IRS said the plan was illegal but eventually it was figured out the plan was not illegal
Our company has an annoying habit of saying government enforcement agencies said something they really didn't say.

I wonder if this was one of those situations?

newfie

You have to understand what an extra board is. You are on the board for weeks at a time. You get called 90 minutes before your start time. You then work 12 hours and the minute you clock out you are allowed 10 hours rest. They will most likely call you 10 hours and 1 minute later. You can do this 6 times in a row before a mandatory 24 hour rest.

So let’s just break it down:

Sunday: Called at 01:00 for 03:00. Work until 15:00

Monday: called at 13:00 for 15:00. Work until midnight

Tuesday: wait all day for a call because lineup says next train is at noon. Actually get called at 23:00. Work from 01:00 Wed until 13:00 Wed.

Wednesday: try and adjust to your now :censored2:ed circadian rhythm. You went to bed at 14:00 and are legally rested at midnight. Also you waited more than 12 hours on Tuesday so you got your own reset.

Thurs: Called at 00:01 for 02:01

Keep going with no days off at all. No sick days allowed either unless you accumulated them or vacation time which is usually after five years. That’s what they’re striking about
thats our Q list in feeders.

Thebrownblob

Lol. Good try. Pointing out contract violations is bitching? Not much to ask to have your precious company follow the contract. The hourly employees are expected to follow the rules. You seem bitter. I'm sure it's a bummer to know that hourlies make more money than their supervisors. Lol.
Oh my God I think you said something good about the union. Is the Apocalypse upon us? 😂. And I’m just kidding, often I agree with the things you’re upset about, just don’t agree with your outlook on the future and what can or can’t change.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Oh my God I think you said something good about the union. Is the Apocalypse upon us? 😂. And I’m just kidding, often I agree with the things you’re upset about, just don’t agree with your outlook on the future and what can or can’t change.
I'm mostly referring to my local. But in general I believe that I am correct about the union allowing UPS to do as it pleases. Maybe it will change with new regime. Time will tell...

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I hope they get a fair deal and make them pay for stalling this for 2 years. This crap where people work under old expired contracts is BS. >Having to work after the contract expired is part of the Rail Labor Act, which covers Rail, Air, (and Maritime, I think?) Transportation Industries.<

newfie

Lol. Good try. Pointing out contract violations is bitching? Not much to ask to have your precious company follow the contract. The hourly employees are expected to follow the rules. You seem bitter. I'm sure it's a bummer to know that hourlies make more money than their supervisors. Lol.
and worked a lot more hours milking the clock to get it. lol

newfie

I'm mostly referring to my local. But in general I believe that I am correct about the union allowing UPS to do as it pleases. Maybe it will change with new regime. Time will tell...
did you ever get involved in the process to have more than a guess to complain about? ever been at any local or national panels and listened to the cases to see if your union represented you? I knew a lot of good shop stewards that went toe to toe with management about issues and then had to listen to you grenade throwers hiding in the back row trying to push them into positions that were not covered by the contract.

newfie

What’s a Q list?
just what you described . A list of qualified feeder drivers that did not have scheduled runs that were on call for work that became available. part of paying your dues until you had enough seniority to bid on a run.
many of them could have bid on weekly jobs but liked have the flexibility to cover jobs day to day.

newfie

It’s the most ridiculous way feeders is avoiding hiring permanent feeder drivers I’ve ever heard. Trying to do it in my local and we are absolutely not allowing it.
driver calls out an hour before his start time. How do you cover the run in feeders?