Cyclops

Are there any online studying materials to prepair for feeder driver training? I live a good way away from work and I work at night. If not, I’ll have to just go up to HR during the day. Just thought I’d check here.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Go to your state dmv office and get a book on class a license.... I wouldn’t look too much on line about how to hook and unhook, etc since ups has their own way of doing it....they will teach you all of that when you go in for feeder school... just study now to get your cdl....

ManInBrown

There are apps you can download that don’t have the exact questions but pretty close. I used an app called DMV genie. That will help you with the online tests you have to take at DMV.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Are there any online studying materials to prepair for feeder driver training? I live a good way away from work and I work at night. If not, I’ll have to just go up to HR during the day. Just thought I’d check here.

First, you have to go to the DMV and put your application in for the CDL.
Follow your state's CDL online instructions to fulfill requirements.
You will need to apply for the Class A and pass the Combination Vehicle, Doubles/Triples, and Air Brake exams.
In my state, there is a time limit on how long the permit is good for.
You will have to pay for all DMV fees on your own, so make sure you are imminent in getting the call.

When you pass, you will receive what we called the Goldenrod. It is a yellow/orange paper that shows you have done everything the DMV asked.
This paper is needed to go to Tractor Trailer school, Feeder school, and for your final road test by your state.
When your name comes up on their list, UPS will send you for a drug screen.
The only thing I ever received from UPS was some sample questions so you will have to do your homework.

Best website I found for test questions (state specific)- Free DMV Practice Test for Driving License and Learner's Permit 2018

Best Youtube video I found productive -
(watch all their videos over and over for a better understanding of important things to know)

In general, Youtube was a fantastic source to get info and techniques on everything CDL

Bone up on your manual shifting. Even though UPS tractors are becoming automatic, you will have to qualify with a 10 speed and splitter. Takes awhile to get comfortable, but when you do it will be big.

Go on your state's DMV website and download the PDF of your state's CDL manual

Last edited:

jaker

trolling
I did practice test's from some online vendor which was cheap and it helped a lot.
I said don't depend 100 percent online stuff , I aced all the test online and when I went to test at the DMV there was a section that wasn't covered online but was in the dmv book

Johney

I said don't depend 100 percent online stuff , I aced all the test online and when I went to test at the DMV there was a section that wasn't covered online but was in the dmv book
That's funny all the online stuff I studied had nothing concerning triples and doubles so I only had my DMV book to study from and oddly enough that section I did poorly on the test....passed,just did poorly.

ManInBrown

Here’s a funny one. I barely passed the online stuff but did fine in school. Passed on my 2nd trip to dmv. Anyone that’s already a feeder driver ever go to renew their cdl and fail the online stuff and there license expired. Get pulled off the road? I’m horrible at tests. It crossed my mind. Even know you’re out there every day doing it, it would still be possible to fail the computer tests to renew your license.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Here’s a funny one. I barely passed the online stuff but did fine in school. Passed on my 2nd trip to dmv. Anyone that’s already a feeder driver ever go to renew their cdl and fail the online stuff and there license expired. Get pulled off the road? I’m horrible at tests. It crossed my mind. Even know you’re out there every day doing it, it would still be possible to fail the computer tests to renew your license.

You don't have to retake the tests as long as you renew.
If you let your CDL expire, you will have to start the DMV process all over again.

trickpony1

That's right. (post #20).
I know a feeder driver who faxed his DOT Med card to the DMV. They said they didn't get it.
Guess what?
He had to take all the written tests and driving test over.
Not fun.

Johney

That's right. (post #20).
I know a feeder driver who faxed his DOT Med card to the DMV. They said they didn't get it.
Guess what?
He had to take all the written tests and driving test over.
Not fun.
Bummer, bet he/she won't do that again. I go on the DMV site a couple days after sending to check to see it's been updated.

trickpony1

after sending to check to see it's been updated.

I go to the tag agency after the paperwork is given to me at the DOT to renew my DL.

I'm talking about the DOT Med card. You can fax, email or personally hand carry it to the DOT so they can update it in the system. I faxed mine twice and mailed it once. I then emailed them to make sure they got it.
You have 30 days after your Med card expires to get the new one to the DMV otherwise your Class A gets downgraded to a Class D.

Not fun.

Johney

I go to the tag agency after the paperwork is given to me at the DOT to renew my DL.

I'm talking about the DOT Med card. You can fax, email or personally hand carry it to the DOT so they can update it in the system. I faxed mine twice and mailed it once. I then emailed them to make sure they got it.
You have 30 days after your Med card expires to get the new one to the DMV otherwise your Class A gets downgraded to a Class D.

Not fun.
Yes I knew what you meant, I scan my DOT card and send it to the DMV and go back and check to see if it's updated. They have an actual picture of your card on their website. If you go to the DMV and update your card here they charge you $6.50 plus the long wait in line, screw that.Here your DL goes back to an "E" we no longer have "D".