ManInBrown

You don't have to retake the tests as long as you renew.
If you let your CDL expire, you will have to start the DMV process all over again.
Really? I know you don’t have to do the road test again, but I thought you had to take the online tests at DMV each time you renew. Is that standard for the whole country? Because I used to have a class C years ago that I eventually dropped, but I did renew it once, and I had to take the online tests where I live.

So you’re saying once you have the class A with all the endorsements, there are no tests ever again at renewal time?

trickpony1

So you’re saying once you have the class A with all the endorsements, there are no tests ever again at renewal time?

Unless they have changed things recently the answer would be "no".

The CDL is a federally monitored license so you would think the standards would be nation wide.

trickpony1

Many of our feeder drivers have ALL the endorsements including tanker and Hazmat. This is in case, for whatever reason, they lose their job in feeders. Another job is just a phone call away.

A CDL class A with all the endorsements is considered GOLD and should treated as such. Don't abuse or neglect it and that GOLD will pay dividends in the future.

jaker

trolling
Many of our feeder drivers have ALL the endorsements including tanker and Hazmat. This is in case, for whatever reason, they lose their job in feeders. Another job is just a phone call away.

A CDL class A with all the endorsements is considered GOLD and should treated as such. Don't abuse or neglect it and that GOLD will pay dividends in the future.
I might look into getting my tanker/hazmat when my renew comes up not a bad idea to have them

trickpony1

I might look into getting my tanker/hazmat when my renew comes up not a bad idea to have them

Don't wait until the last minute.
The hazmat can be a hassle due to background check.
You might call the DMV and ask how long the satisfactory test results are good for so you can coordinate that window of time with your background check and
THE EXPIRATION DATE OF YOUR CDL Class A.

Just a suggestion...

ManInBrown

You dropped it and then renewed it.
I'm guessing this is why you had to retest.
No. I eventually dropped it. But when I renewed it, I still had it. It was set to expire.

Maybe class C and class A are different, but I definitely had to take the online tests again to renew.

barnyard

KTM rider
When I went to the DMV, I read the study guide; at the end of each chapter there is a chapter summary with bullet points. Those were the test questions or test answers. I studied the bullet points and took the test. Very easy to pass.

When I took my behind the wheel portion, I was tested by a UPS employee that was certified by the state to give the CDL test. Say outloud, everything that you are doing and you should pass.

My instructor during my non-productive week had a lot of office work to do and left me alone in the yard for pretty much half the day, 3 of the days. I spent that time backing onto dock doors and backing in a straight line. I lost 2 points on my driving test. I stopped too early in the 'stop with in 5 feet of this thing' backing test and 'stop the bumper within 5 feet of this thing' test.

Instant fails are clipping a curb and shifting while crossing railroad tracks.

You will always be pulling empties, so take your time going through the gears getting to the speed limit. The temptation is to pounce on the go pedal, then you over-rev and it will be tougher to get into the next gear. When accelerating, it is smoother to shift at 15-1600 rpms than 2000.

Ask your instructor if he has written down his pretrip speech. If he/she has, ask for a copy, read that and study it. My productive week supe gave me his and it is very helpful if you go a few weeks or months without working feeders.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Unless they have changed things recently the answer would be "no".

The CDL is a federally monitored license so you would think the standards would be nation wide.

You do not have to take the CDL tests over again.
The only exception I know of is HazMat. The Hazmat endorsement requires fingerprints and to retake the test every 5 years (state specific).
A Hazmat endorsement is the same TSA process that most of us Feeder drivers have to do to gain access to our airport facilities.

Does the applicant have the option to pay for them out of pocket?

I've kept my DMV receipts and hope to add to my deduction list as fees due to work requirement.
We could get a Hazmat or Passenger endorsement but are useless at UPS. Would be a waste of money.
You could always get one to have the option to leave and work somewhere else.
We've had one Feeder driver leave and start his own car hauling company.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When I went to the DMV, I read the study guide; at the end of each chapter there is a chapter summary with bullet points. Those were the test questions or test answers. I studied the bullet points and took the test. Very easy to pass.

When I took my behind the wheel portion, I was tested by a UPS employee that was certified by the state to give the CDL test. Say outloud, everything that you are doing and you should pass.

My instructor during my non-productive week had a lot of office work to do and left me alone in the yard for pretty much half the day, 3 of the days. I spent that time backing onto dock doors and backing in a straight line. I lost 2 points on my driving test. I stopped too early in the 'stop with in 5 feet of this thing' backing test and 'stop the bumper within 5 feet of this thing' test.

Instant fails are clipping a curb and shifting while crossing railroad tracks.

You will always be pulling empties, so take your time going through the gears getting to the speed limit. The temptation is to pounce on the go pedal, then you over-rev and it will be tougher to get into the next gear. When accelerating, it is smoother to shift at 15-1600 rpms than 2000.

Ask your instructor if he has written down his pretrip speech. If he/she has, ask for a copy, read that and study it. My productive week supe gave me his and it is very helpful if you go a few weeks or months without working feeders.

While learning downshifting, I used to find myself losing what gear I should be in.
I would get flustered with the 10 speed shifter and hearing the gears grind was irritating.

Best way to find what gear you should be in :

The speedometer shows numbers scaling from 15, 25, 35, 45, 55
When you lose a gear, look at what speed you are close to and add the numbers.
55 mph (5+5) = 10th gear
45 mph (4+5) = 9th gear
35 mph (3+5) = 8th gear
25 mph (2+5) = 7th gear
15 mph (1+5) = 6th gear

Just a thought I had for future Feeder drivers while reading barnyard's post.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
My trainer always wanted me to start in low. Use low to get rolling, then shift. Really, really easy to over rev in low.
Busted my balls same way first week. By production week I think he just wanted a smooth ride for his naps.

Looking back the whole process was actually really laid back, wish I hadn't stressed out so much about it lol.

fedx

Extra Large Package
Really? I know you don’t have to do the road test again, but I thought you had to take the online tests at DMV each time you renew. Is that standard for the whole country? Because I used to have a class C years ago that I eventually dropped, but I did renew it once, and I had to take the online tests where I live.

If you have hazmat, I believe you have to take that test over again when you renew, even if it hasn't expired yet. Otherwise, you don't have to take any other tests over again (other than hazmat) as long as your current license hasn't expired.