Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We have 2 TDP runs both are feeder drivers on our seniority list and bid in the feeder dept, but are dispatched by the package centers and are done with DIADS and they both show on the package drivers ops report.
That's how we do it. Got 4 TDP runs now, day work as long as you don't mind handling a few packages.

Johney

That's how we do it. Got 4 TDP runs now, day work as long as you don't mind handling a few packages.
One guy delivers 50-70 stops out of a P/C then goes and swaps out a couple trailers. The other delivers a couple p/o out of a feeder then swaps out trailers.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Yea and the TDP work counts against package so you have less package cars going out. We have 5 less routes going out because of it and the rest of the drivers getting screwed

Johney

Yea and the TDP work counts against package so you have less package cars going out. We have 5 less routes going out because of it and the rest of the drivers getting screwed
Also I've heard that since TDP runs are tied to package that they are supposed to be held to SPC standards, but since you can't give a TDP driver 180 stops it affects the other drivers giving them more work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Also I've heard that since TDP runs are tied to package that they are supposed to be held to SPC standards, but since you can't give a TDP driver 180 stops it affects the other drivers giving them more work.
Our guys don't get held to any of those delivery center standards or production numbers. I'm sure the center cares about it at some level but there's not a lot they can really do.

Johney

Our guys don't get held to any of those delivery center standards or production numbers. I'm sure the center cares about it at some level but there's not a lot they can really do.
Nor do ours, what I'm saying is they are considered another p/c driver on-road so if SPC that day are 180 per IE then the dispatcher has to adjust how many routes to put in to make that. So if you have two routes that can't make SPC that work has to go somewhere.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That sounds like a dream job for someone in package with a CDL.
We've got a couple in our building that didn't like feeders and do package, but this would be the best of both worlds.

I have not seen that on any feeder bid so far, but possibly could be a new thing they are pushing.

Johney

That sounds like a dream job for someone in package with a CDL.
We've got a couple in our building that didn't like feeders and do package, but this would be the best of both worlds.

I have not seen that on any feeder bid so far, but possibly could be a new thing they are pushing.
Both our guys love them. Daytime hours and you don't really kill yourself like most packages drivers do.

oldngray

nowhere special
Both our guys love them. Daytime hours and you don't really kill yourself like most packages drivers do.

We had TDP drivers and they preferred delivering near home despite more traffic. They hated it when they would get loaned to feeders. The package centers didn't like taking the big hit on SPC with TDP routes but had no choice. They just bumped up the package drivers so they would still hit their targets.

TDP is nothing new. Maybe some centers didn't have them. They used to be called CPU before the name change to TDP.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
My building still calls them CPU. We have a dozen of them and you are right the ODD sups are always complaining that they screw up their SPC but the center wants the credit for the volume they handle.

Travwise

So do the backup feeder drivers cover when the TDP driver is gone? When I signed the bid to go to feeder school the TDP run didn’t exist. Now I’m pulled off of my bid pacakage route constantly to cover it. How is it handled in your buildings? Thanks.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
So do the backup feeder drivers cover when the TDP driver is gone? When I signed the bid to go to feeder school the TDP run didn’t exist. Now I’m pulled off of my bid pacakage route constantly to cover it. How is it handled in your buildings? Thanks.
In my building the TDP runs are bid feeder runs, so yes they are covered by our cover drivers.

CoolStoryBro

I'm curious why (what should be a newly acquired feeder run) would then get a bid posted in our center as a TDP/Package car job. We've never had TDP jobs in our center yet they've been cutting Feeder runs left & right? Why would they not assign this new business to Feeders?

WTF are you talking about?

Cool Story, bro.

CoolStoryBro

trailer delivery/pickup.

some believe it's a further attempt to chip away at the feeder dept by having pkg drivers doing our work.

Yeah, we have one of those (and sometimes 2 at peak). A DIAD wielding feeder driver who does deliveries then pickups.

And also an army of 24' box trucks that are regular drivers.