The Holiday Fail

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Bingo. Or, you go down to the shipper and tell them the stuff processed after 1859 isn't moving. It doesn't seem like rocket science.

And in the paper the next day is a story about how FedEx refused to pick up a trailer full of Christmas presents.

59 Dano

You don't have the cajones to drive down to the shipper and tell them in-person. You're a poor excuse for a manager. Oh, that's right, you're a pretend manager, so it would be a virtual conversation. Perhaps you could get Thunder to keep them in line for you.

It takes guts to post anonymously without consequences, doesn't it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
When you show up on their doorstep and tell them you want to watch them work and they say no and you end up with a trailer full of freight with improper ASTRA labels. They know that FedEx will get the blame if the packages are delivered late, or even "late" because they have the wrong ASTRA labels.

No, you should get the blame for being a crap manager and not dealing with your shippers. Your concern should be with Memphis. As long as you've got your paperwork and scans covered, you're off the hook.

They could care less about making service. Fred already has the customer's money.

59 Dano

Yes, you are very brave to do the same thing.

I don't post thing about hoping people go to Hell. I don't post about how decisions should be made knowing full well that I'd never be in a position to make them and bear the consequences of them. It's easy to have all the answers when you don't really pay a price for being wrong.

59 Dano

No, you should get the blame for being a crap manager and not dealing with your shippers. Your concern should be with Memphis. As long as you've got your paperwork and scans covered, you're off the hook.

They could care less about making service. Fred already has the customer's money.

Eh, you're off your meds again. I tried.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
When you show up on their doorstep and tell them you want to watch them work and they say no and you end up with a trailer full of freight with improper ASTRA labels. They know that FedEx will get the blame if the packages are delivered late, or even "late" because they have the wrong ASTRA labels.
But, but, but....you're a manager tasked by Memphis to "run a business". How can you meekly accept no for an answer? I am willing to bet that, especially for a persistent problem, you would be given authority from Memphis to pursue a solution with the shipper, even if it meant getting out from behind your computer and actually visiting the offender.

59 Dano

But, but, but....you're a manager tasked by Memphis to "run a business". How can you meekly accept no for an answer? I am willing to bet that, especially for a persistent problem, you would be given authority from Memphis to pursue a solution with the shipper, even if it meant getting out from behind your computer and actually visiting the offender.

You don't go to a major shipper's operation, announce that you are there to help them fix their deficiency, and watch the red carpet roll out, especially when they are overwhelmed and their top concern is to plow through as many orders as they can.

It doesn't work that way.

MAKAVELI

You don't go to a major shipper's operation, announce that you are there to help them fix their deficiency, and watch the red carpet roll out, especially when they are overwhelmed and their top concern is to plow through as many orders as they can.

Why such disdain for the customer? You do realize, without the customer, you don't have a job? The ultimate responsibility lies on the upper management of FedEx. End of story.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Oh OK. We'll send the shipper a Hallmark card and hopefully they'll get the hint.

Right.

59 Dano

Why such disdain for the customer? You do realize, without the customer, you don't have a job? The ultimate responsibility lies on the upper management of FedEx. End of story.

Disdain for the customer? Stating a fact. A customer, during the busiest time of its year, does not want to make changes for one of his vendors when he is struggling to keep up. Sorry, but that's the way the world works.

MAKAVELI

Disdain for the customer? Stating a fact. A customer, during the busiest time of its year, does not want to make changes for one of his vendors when he is struggling to keep up. Sorry, but that's the way the world works.
Customers change vendors when said vendor can not provide service. That's the way the world works.

MAKAVELI

The vendor provided the service as agreed upon. Not the vendor's fault that the customer didn't uphold his end of the deal. Keep trying.
I don't have to keep trying. I couldn't care less if FedEx loses a customer. But whoever didn't do everything they could to keep a large account from leaving should.;)

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
The vendor provided the service as agreed upon. Not the vendor's fault that the customer didn't uphold his end of the deal. Keep trying.
Perception is reality. The vendor shipped the customer's package, who doesn't get it on time. Customer complains. Who gets the blame? The shipping company, because they were too p*ssified to stand up to the offender and get the problem corrected. As management, you own that situation.