The Holiday Fail

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Our West Coast station did well. Some worked on Friday but freight was minimal. We were even lucky enough to send drivers home early Thursday. Because of DRA, some of us actually look forward to peak. 10 years ago, my truck would have been filled to the gills. All four shelves and the floor 5 feet high with freight. This year, I had days when I only used two shelves and placed large boxes under those shelves leaving my truck resembling a Saturday route. Peak is no longer a thing to worry about because of DRA, with my route.

No DRA on my route.

dezguy

I don't even know how my sta did. Personally, don't care. Came in from off my route on Thursday and didn't even look around to see what it looked like. Filed my paperwork and was practically running out the door. Off till Tuesday. If there is anything that was supposed to be delivered for Christmas, I'll deal with it then.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We were as well, but there were a lot of perishables that had gone bad, and man did the those cans stink! We were told to take them out and have them refused, I told the Saturday manager I was leaving them behind. So after I did so, quite a few followed suit. A lot of couriers took that stuff on road, can only imagine the customers reaction.

On the perishables. Isn't it heartwarming, ethical, and honest to knowingly deliver perishables that have gone bad? This crap needs to go in the dumpster. But no, we have to take it out. That way, the customer gets to call the shipper call center and wait, along with thousands of others trying to get their money back, which is probably an exercise in futility. Plus, it's a Christmas present, meant to be enjoyed 2 days ago. Mmmm...a rotten styrofoam box full of Omaha Steaks premium filet mignon that smells like a hotel dumpster. Merry Christmas from FedEx!!

Personally, I'm thinking a lot more got missed than they are revealing. Look at some of the other posts on this thread, which indicate misinformation from the hub about actual late inbound.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mr. Fedex: thank you for the plane info. I'm noairline expert but I do know that the A300's and 310s are still being used on passenger routes to this day. I wonder if Smith's stated resolve to reduce the number of air crew personel may be his way to get back at them because he finally had to sign a union contract with the APA.

FedEx has ordered quite a few new 767s and 777s from Boeing, and they have options for more. Fred's initial 777 order had a clause that allowed him to cancel if the RLA was amended to make it easier for FedEx workers to organize, something the Obama administration was attempting to do at that time.

Smith could be getting back at his pilots, but I personally think it's more about having a more fuel-efficient fleet. A smart move, but about 20 years late.

Guess what? The senators from Boeing (Washington State), plus Fred's influence killed the RLA liberalization move, and Fred bought the planes. I fully expect that there is similar language in his current contract with Boeing. It's stuff like this that make Smith such a legendary weasel, as in politically leveraging however possible to keep us non-union and under his cheap thumb. What an A-hole.

Last edited:

Purplepackage

On the perishables. Isn't it heartwarming, ethical, and honest to knowingly deliver perishables that have gone bad? This crap needs to go in the dumpster. But no, we have to take it out. That way, the customer gets to call the shipper call center and wait, along with thousands of others trying to get their money back, which is probably an exercise in futility. Plus, it's a Christmas present, meant to be enjoyed 2 days ago. Mmmm...a rotten styrofoam box full of Omaha Steaks premium filet mignon that smells like a hotel dumpster. Merry Christmas from FedEx!!

Personally, I'm thinking a lot more got missed than they are revealing. Look at some of the other posts on this thread, which indicate misinformation from the hub about actual late inbound.

I fully agree that we were kept in the dark about how much we actually didn't get. Where in other years we knew damn well how much we didn't have.

With everything that is coming in now, if it all came in on Wednesday and Thursday like it was supposed this honestly would've been the busiest peak I have ever seen and I have seen a lot.

My station had almost unmanagble Inbound on Wednesday and at this point I assume we were missing at least 2k pieces of freight

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We were as well, but there were a lot of perishables that had gone bad, and man did the those cans stink! We were told to take them out and have them refused, I told the Saturday manager I was leaving them behind. So after I did so, quite a few followed suit. A lot of couriers took that stuff on road, can only imagine the customers reaction.
That stuff that rotted is the company's fault 100%. Let MT3 and upper management try to deliver that crap.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Typical X. They'll sign up anything. Saw once with my own 2 eyes Ground hauling ice cream.

Yup, I had a decent sized blue box of dippin' dots on Xmas eve... The customer and I thought it was weird that it was being sent via ground instead of express... It did made it intact since he quickly opened it in front of me

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Spoke to a ramp agent who said Amazon was supposedly 'restricted' to two bulk trailers a night, but would send six or seven instead. The unscheduled trailers were left sitting in the parking lot until they could work them in, days in some cases. So there is something to the claim of unexpected volume.

Similar situation here. There's a big shipper that hit us with one extra trailer load just about every day that was arriving about an hour too late for the freight to make the flights each night. This is the 3rd straight year this shipper has created this problem. They've been told that the cutoff for orders to be shipped out the same day that they are placed is at 1900. After 1900, they are to change the ship date in the software, but they didn't do it (again).

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Fed Ex made a mistake and parked too many planes in the desert . They never thought Amazon volume would be so high. Go figure

Their expectations, and thus their planning, was based on the numbers that were presented to them by Amazon and other large shippers. Getting shippers to provide accurate projections is a very big deal. When they don't do it, it causes problems for everyone.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Similar situation here. There's a big shipper that hit us with one extra trailer load just about every day that was arriving about an hour too late for the freight to make the flights each night. This is the 3rd straight year this shipper has created this problem. They've been told that the cutoff for orders to be shipped out the same day that they are placed is at 1900. After 1900, they are to change the ship date in the software, but they didn't do it (again).
And Memphis will continue to kiss their butt as if nothing ever happened. So guess what will take place next year? The same ol' crap.

Sparky

I'm still delivering packages with current day Astra's that were ordered a week or two ago, people are still refusing late Christmas gifts

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

OK. So drive down there at 1859, and observe them changing the ship date. Simple. If they've lied to you in the past, they shouldn't mind a check-in visit. If they ship anyway with an unchanged date, call Memphis and tell them you have an issue.

Management fail.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm still delivering packages with current day Astra's that were ordered a week or two ago, people are still refusing late Christmas gifts

As well they should. Any rotten food? If so, tell your manager and they'll throw a "Peak Appreciation" BBQ with all the bad meat.

Oh, Bronczek sent out his post-peak letter to employees, which completely glosses over the fail and congratulates everyone on a superb Peak season.

Delusional.

Purplepackage

And Memphis will continue to kiss their butt as if nothing ever happened. So guess what will take place next year? The same ol' crap.

As soon as December 26th comes they forget about how bad Amazon nails us with freight since they really don't ship that much through us the rest of the year