zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You want to file a grievance for them taking work off of you and getting done at a reasonable time??

I was already about two and a half hours past reasonable. I want the time, they assigned the work. They don't care about a reasonable time, they want to make sure they can either work me a full 14 on Friday, if needed, or work me Saturday. Either of which I'm fine with. The problem for me is when they cut back on my hours during the week, then don't use me later, and I get a 50-hour check instead of a 60-hour check. I'm here to work and get paid, not sit on the bench.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nope,

Done with the idea they can work us unreasonable hours and just pay more.

This is about basic human dignity.

All hours over 11... voluntary year round.
Yeah, not happening. What you forget is that the union is equally complicit in the respect/dignity fading away. A great example are stewards not on the 9.5 list working 60 hour weeks, and also stewards (or anyone for that matter) who, in groups, joke about other workers who refuse to work endless hours of OT.

Again, we've seen people on BC showing their pay stub, bragging about earnings. What kind of idiot does that, especially at UPS?

To me it's shameful enough working here, but even moreso having to work OT.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've said it many times, all OT at double time rate will screw with their numbers and they will be forced to hire more people.
It will force a stronger base of employees than the paper-thin roster UPS tries pushing through every year until seasonals.

brownIEman

I've said it many times, all OT at double time rate will screw with their numbers and they will be forced to hire more people.
It will force a stronger base of employees than the paper-thin roster UPS tries pushing through every year until seasonals.

This and or paying pension and HW based on all hours worked would reduce or remove the company's incentive to load up the routes and keep staffing low.

UPS will never go for it though. In the center I was in doing that would raise payroll costs about 8- 10%. Now, 10% does not sound that bad but if that translates company wide ( and I have no idea if it would) with all else being equal, it would put UPS in the red, at least for package operations and quite possibly overall.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
For those of you who have had a bad peak being forced to work excessive hours do you think there is any hope of the Union fighting for less hours worked in the upcoming contract? This year is nothing short of ridiculous.
No. Peak is peak. We will work the hours needed to to complete the work.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah, not happening. What you forget is that the union is equally complicit in the respect/dignity fading away. A great example are stewards not on the 9.5 list working 60 hour weeks, and also stewards (or anyone for that matter) who, in groups, joke about other workers who refuse to work endless hours of OT.

Again, we've seen people on BC showing their pay stub, bragging about earnings. What kind of idiot does that, especially at UPS?

To me it's shameful enough working here, but even moreso having to work OT.
So people that like money are shameful?

That's awful judgmental

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hef, now with this huge tax break ups and other companies will be getting there should be NO issues with us getting paid....none what so ever.... it’s still early but apple alone could be saving up to 30-40 billion a year....this should be a total win for the teamsters for negotiations, but then again Hoffa is still at the helm so who knows what might happen.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hef, now with this huge tax break ups and other companies will be getting there should be NO issues with us getting paid....none what so ever.... it’s still early but apple alone could be saving up to 30-40 billion a year....this should be a total win for the teamsters for negotiations, but then again Hoffa is still at the helm so who knows what might happen.
What in the hell does Apple have to do with UPS? Abney would strangle Tim Cook in Madison Square Garden for Apple's margins.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
i always find it interesting that Jan-Oct, the union fight; it's all about reduced OT, at least in the centers/drivers ; but then Nov/Dec it's like if you are only working 50, you are not a hero and not working enough hours.

I've seen people working triples 15-20 hours and somehow it's "cool" to do that. IMO it makes you look bad and sets a bad precedent, giving UPS more leeway to hire less seasonal help and perhaps even expect, that everyone does triples - etc.

It's really sad to think of the bass ackwards battle fighting OT all year, but JMO if there is ANY time AT ALL there should be reduced OT it is during Nov-Jan, and for many very valid reasons other than family and holidays
When I was PT, it was the month I could make as much money as possible and stash it away for when times were tough. Whether someone wants to work doubles/triples is their choice, not yours.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
NO ONE CARES! It's not always about you! You 10 car supe! ;)
BA101CCA-FB00-4A09-9253-398CED5633EF.gif

Dr.Brownz

When I was PT, it was the month I could make as much money as possible and stash it away for when times were tough. Whether someone wants to work doubles/triples is their choice, not yours.

When I was a new PTer I was bullied and intimidated into working non-consecutive doubles when it wasn't even peak.... And look where it got UPS, they now have me as a steward filing every grievance possible. Great long term planning UPS, masters of logisitics!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So people that like money are shameful?

That's awful judgmental
I didn't say people who like money are shameful. What you did there, basically, was create a new argument by twisting what I said. aka strawman logical fallacy

Because you "like" money does not mean you need to brag about it, post paystubs, and basically seek attention. Additionally, when you do this to knock down those who do not want OT, do not want to "stick it to the company", it is even worse.

I have no problem with people wanting endless overtime, really, until it affects me and others. I have zero interest in soaking the company and soaking up overtime.

JMO

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't disagree at all. their choice of working 100 hours a week (yes, we have a 22.2 that has made 125k this year SO FAR), should not in any way affect contractual rights, or otherwise, to those who don't want to live at UPS.

None of my views are out of jealousy/envy. Everyone's situation is different and unique.

For the record, I was most likely the first and maybe only jerk who pushed the 10-hour rule in New England this peak ;)

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
This and or paying pension and HW based on all hours worked would reduce or remove the company's incentive to load up the routes and keep staffing low.

UPS will never go for it though. In the center I was in doing that would raise payroll costs about 8- 10%. Now, 10% does not sound that bad but if that translates company wide ( and I have no idea if it would) with all else being equal, it would put UPS in the red, at least for package operations and quite possibly overall.
Complete BS.
What kind of fuzzy math does IE use?
Even if we use your numbers (8-10%) which are suspect...
9% increase in payroll cost (only) for hourly domestic employees (only) would not result in putting UPS overall in the red.

Paying H&W on an hour or two of overtime per day for hour-lies only does not increase the overall center payroll by 10%. And certainly not a 10% increase in overall costs. Give me a break! The propaganda machine has started...

Get real.
We are not drinking the Kool-Aid

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How about a peak surcharge for hourlies just like the company imposed on shippers? I dont see anything wrong with that.
I don't disagree at all. their choice of working 100 hours a week (yes, we have a 22.2 that has made 125k this year SO FAR), should not in any way affect contractual rights, or otherwise, to those who don't want to live at UPS.

None of my views are out of jealousy/envy. Everyone's situation is different and unique.

For the record, I was most likely the first and maybe only jerk who pushed the 10-hour rule in New England this peak ;)

What’s the 10 hour rule ?

35years

Gravy route
We had a part timer last peak who worked 24 hours in a row.
He normally works more than 12 hrs per day.
Time and 1/2 after 5 hours.
He is under the pre-1982 rules...Driver pay per hour, just like
PT Car Washer
on Brown Cafe.
You do the math...

Last edited: