Union Leadership- Huge Nads!

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your being generous. Lol

My Local averages 28%.

Whether it is a Local Union election, National contract, or the IBT General election.

I'm sure those in package car won't bother to vote with a whopping 2% raise?

So many people "say" they vote....

But, the numbers don't lie.

So the IBT gets us a subpar deal because of low voter turnout?

Subpar deal.... in comparison to what ?

And yeah, it does make a difference.

Don't you remember the brash arrogance of Dave Murray back in 1997 ?

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I've pretty much always felt like both the company and the union as entities have their own, money-driven agendas. At the end of the day both entities exist to make money.

Hold on....

The company is a "for profit" business.

The Union is not.

The Union needs money to exist. Period.

I don't see UPS members standing in line, willing to work for free.

-Bug-

What'dyabringmetoday???

Hold on....

The Union is not.

-Bug-
I am probably confused, but you aren't suggesting that "employees" of the union work for free are you? Where I come from, they pay themselves a bunch.

Superteeth2478

Hold on....

The Union is not.

-Bug-
Perhaps a better way to put it is that, seeing as how union leadership salaries are paid by dues money, more dues money means that the leadership can afford to give itself raises (I mean, look at the salaries of some of them...). So at the individual level there are money-driven people in the union. Idealistically, as an entity the union should exist for the reasons I stated above.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Maybe I'm confused, with what you are saying.
You said that you don't see UPS members standing in line willing to work for free. I was just curious if you were suggesting that union officials or officers or whatever you want to call them work for free. The folks in my neck of the woods treat the local coffers like a personal piggy bank.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hold on....

The Union is not.

-Bug-
They get money through dues. More jobs, more dues, even if it is at the expense of current workers. 25 percent of jobs-poof, gone, toast, history.

In a way, the union is shipping high paying jobs overseas.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
They get money through dues. More jobs, more dues, even if it is at the expense of current workers. 25 percent of jobs-poof, gone, toast, history.

In a way, the union is shipping high paying jobs overseas.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the current level of Regular package car driver jobs is protected, so the company cannot convert a RPCD position to a hybrid job when current RPCDs vacate them.

If this is not true you guys should absolutely vote no. Go read what happened to the USPS letter carriers when the City and rural carrier assistant positions were created with weak protections.

Basically long story short as regular carriers retired they were replaced with 15 dollar a hour CCAs with no benefits, it is now virtually impossible to get regular letter carrier job

browned out

The language is deceptive. Our center has 60 Full Time Package Car drivers. All 60 will definitely be considered RPCD drivers. You are interpreting to mean that UPS will have to keep 60 RPCD positions protected. I believe that is incorrect. In our center we only have about 30 drivers who actually are working M-friend. due to the massive number of routes cut on Mondays. Read the language again.

The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building, shall be verified and agreed to by
each Local Union and the Company Labor Representative, as of August 1, 2018 and shall be protected jobs. “Protected jobs” shall
include RPCDs that will continue to be replaced by employees covered under Article 41, Section 2

The Union refuses to acknowledge if the protected jobs will only be the actual # of drivers currently working M-friend.

And then you have this misleading language.

The number of 22.4 combination drivers shall not exceed twenty-five (25%) of the total number of RPCDs in the building.

Notice how the protected jobs # is based only on the # of drivers who actually work M-friend but the 25% max of hybrid drivers is based of the total number of RPCDs .

So what you would get in a 60 driver center would be 30 protected jobs because only drivers who actually work M-friend count as protected jobs. You would get 15 Hybrid drivers based on the 25% being calculated from the TOTAL number of RPCDs in the building. (not M-friend drivers; the TOTAL # of RPCDs)

UPS would not be be required to replace 15 RPCDs in order to comply with the 25% max total. The center would end up with 45 RCPDs and 15 hybrid drivers. The center stands to lose 15 RPCD positions due to this very underhanded deceptive language.

We need clarification from the union. Hoffa/Taylor please explain if the above scenario is correct.

browned out

How about.... you report back....

After you have attended your Local's contract review meeting.

How about...you read the language?

All existing regular full-time package car drivers (RPCD) shall be considered RPCD drivers for the purpose of this Section.
The number of 22.4 combination drivers shall not exceed twenty-five (25%) of the total number of RPCDs in the building.

The number of RPCDs working a Monday through Friday schedule in each building, shall be verified and agreed to by
each Local Union and the Company Labor Representative, as of August 1, 2018 and shall be protected jobs. “Protected jobs” shall
include RPCDs that will continue to be replaced by employees covered under Article 41, Section 2

I have been an active steward and a committee man both as a part timer and full timer. I am all too familiar with the workings of UPS mgmt. and the local union in our area which is a very large local and joint council area. This language is not vague; it is clear cut and not open to interpretation. The 25% is determined by the total # of RPCDs and the total # of protected jobs is based off only those current FT package car drivers that work M-friend.

No matter what is said at the union meeting; this language does not change. Unless the master is voted down.

DirtySouth

The current Tues-Sat "drivers" will be protected as RPCDs even after the transition of all RPCD routes to M-friend.

The "jobs" will not be protected and will not count towards the "protected jobs." Those jobs will eventually be lost via attrition.

That was said by Denis T, directly, in Minneapolis to the supplemental committees.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
BUG..........

Browned out's interpretation of what is written is what a number of us have been saying since the very first day details were released!! To further complicate the issue is the fact its written that RPCD's will not work weekends. What happens when the company holds back AND advances loads to show more volume for Saturdays and Sundays? The company will show cause to hire even more 22.4's thus eroding the 25% "limit."

RPCDs are not scheduled on Saturday per the contract so th,e "no RPCD shall be laid off while a 22.4 works inside the building," is not applicable!