Union Leadership- Huge Nads!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hats off to the leadership! They stood firm and negotiated a whopping 2.2 percent raise! Way to get us some of those record profits!

Wally

Was expecting a gif though
EagerNegativeDolphin-max-1mb.gif

Bravo Leadership! Replacing up to 25 percent of Package Car Drivers! Well done!

Box Ox

Hats off to the leadership! They stood firm and negotiated a whopping 2.2 percent raise! Way to get us some of those record profits!

There's probably a potential pee pee tape release riding on whether Contract gets pushed through at complete sellout level or not.

Wally

I can't help but wonder if the leadership wants more dues paying members at the expense of current membership?

Blackstream

Notably, it's a 5% raise for people making $13 an hour, and the last dollar is a 6% raise for people making $16.15 (Which is I believe the lowest wage an hourly hired before august 1st could be at).

And UPS raised prices by about 5% from 2017 to 2018.

So because UPS has this massive part time workforce with high turnover, raises are effectively worth way more from UPS's point of view than from an established FTers point of view. In other words, our raises are always gonna suck unless the majority of the workforce becomes either full time, or starts making a lot.

Since I doubt FTers will ever become the majority, I suspect the only way the negotiating team will be able to get us significantly better raises is to keep raising the bottom line so that the absolute value of our raises is worth less to UPS.

tl;dr: $1 raise means a lot more to ups when everyone is making $10 an hour than it does when everyone is making $20 an hour. Fighting for the minimum starting wage to be $15 an hour is probably in our best interests, and making sure the minimum keeps going up with every contract is too.

Wally

Notably, it's a 5% raise for people making $13 an hour, and the last dollar is a 6% raise for people making $16.15 (Which is I believe the lowest wage an hourly hired before august 1st could be at).

And UPS raised prices by about 5% from 2017 to 2018.

So because UPS has this massive part time workforce with high turnover, raises are effectively worth way more from UPS's point of view than from an established FTers point of view. In other words, our raises are always gonna suck unless the majority of the workforce becomes either full time, or starts making a lot.

Since I doubt FTers will ever become the majority, I suspect the only way the negotiating team will be able to get us significantly better raises is to keep raising the bottom line so that the absolute value of our raises is worth less to UPS.

tl;dr: $1 raise means a lot more to ups when everyone is making $10 an hour than it does when everyone is making $20 an hour. Fighting for the minimum starting wage to be $15 an hour is probably in our best interests, and making sure the minimum keeps going up with every contract is too.
You are assuming part-timers vote. They don't. Full timers vote, which is why this gets voted down.

Superteeth2478

I can't help but wonder if the leadership wants more dues paying members at the expense of current membership?
I've pretty much always felt like both the company and the union as entities have their own, money-driven agendas. At the end of the day both entities exist to make money. It's only at the individual level on each side that you get individual people who actually care about, say, the principle of servicing the customer (on the company's side) and the principle of what unions stand for (on the union's side).