Tony Q

Ive been a pre loader for over a year now. Let me preface by saying I have a full time career during the day as a marketing executive for the past 10 years; started pre load to pay off debt faster. Ive never seen a corporation so messed up by Union BS and I have worked with numerous national and international corporations and non profits over my marketing career.

So, after working for UPS for a year as an "hourly" I have to say the Union is more of a detriment than a boon.

First, albeit, Im not familiar with Union style work environments, the Union seems to make our life harder. We have 5 belt supers and all they want to do is help...... but they can't, because the "old school" Union people keep complaining. FYI OLD GUYS, THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP US!!! Its so upsetting when I get stacked out, my supe tries to help catch up and then they have to stop cause some, usually an older driver working pre load, threatened to file a grievance, even after I tried to defend my supe and say I asked for help.

Curious if this is just here or if it happens at multiple locations? Im in a mid size warehouse, 250K city pop. that delivers to about 700K total pop local and surrounding towns.
Is this $11 an hour job helping you knock down those debts?

tadpole

If PT sups we’re allowed to help, they would do it the entire shift. They would send people home and have the sups finish up the work.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Ive been a pre loader for over a year now. Let me preface by saying I have a full time career during the day as a marketing executive for the past 10 years; started pre load to pay off debt faster. Ive never seen a corporation so messed up by Union BS and I have worked with numerous national and international corporations and non profits over my marketing career.

So, after working for UPS for a year as an "hourly" I have to say the Union is more of a detriment than a boon.

First, albeit, Im not familiar with Union style work environments, the Union seems to make our life harder. We have 5 belt supers and all they want to do is help...... but they can't, because the "old school" Union people keep complaining. FYI OLD GUYS, THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP US!!! Its so upsetting when I get stacked out, my supe tries to help catch up and then they have to stop cause some, usually an older driver working pre load, threatened to file a grievance, even after I tried to defend my supe and say I asked for help.

Curious if this is just here or if it happens at multiple locations? Im in a mid size warehouse, 250K city pop. that delivers to about 700K total pop local and surrounding towns.
If PT sups we’re allowed to help, they would do it the entire shift. They would send people home and have the sups finish up the work.
in otherwords if pt sups were allowed to "help" you either would have been hired last week, instead of last year Or not hired at all. So my question is this how would that have assisted you in paying off your debt? When i was on the preload i asked and allowed mtg to "help" sparingly in otherwords only at peak. Knowing it was, "that most special time of year" once peak was over i took every opportunity to remind mgt the solution wasn't helping me or others but hiring more. Once we came to that mutual understanding things went smoother.

CoolStoryBro

Is this $11 an hour job helping you knock down those debts?

Come on, man. Every little bit helps. WE don't know his exact financial situation.

I work as much Saturday Air as they let me. It's usually 4-6 hours at ~56 dollars an hour. So I probably make on Saturday what a preloader makes all week. I'm thankful for that extra money. I can easily make 10k extra a year doing Saturday Air. That pays for gasoline, groceries plus some other stuff for the year.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It maybe my inadequate experience in this kind of field.... but just seems silly to punish the Union employees by saying "no, management can't help you, that's stealing work from you" when Union knows (or should know) how hard asks physically intensive our job is.

I wouldn't normally say this to another union member, however, your understanding of the bargaining work concept requires an exception: you need to pick up the pace so your poor, poor supervisors don't have to do your job for you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You need to educate yourself before coming here and bashing unions

Makes you look ignorant

rod

Retired 22 years
You've been there a year and still don't realize what the problem is? NOT ENOUGH HOURLY EMPLOYEES--BELT RUNNING AT TOO FAST. Its that simple. Management has agreed to keep their hands off union work per contract. Hold them to it.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Ya dude my life of sups working this past year is that %90 of the time they are making up for a truly atrocious amount of workers NCNS'ing. Of the twelve times a sup has pulled for me. I filed twice and got a cute $10-30 check next week. In a perfect world I would've filed all twelve times, but the attendance of PT preloaders really is an equally frustrating mess.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ya dude my life of sups working this past year is that %90 of the time they are making up for a truly atrocious amount of workers NCNS'ing. Of the twelve times a sup has pulled for me. I filed twice and got a cute $10-30 check next week. In a perfect world I would've filed all twelve times, but the attendance of PT preloaders really is an equally frustrating mess.

Not your problem

Tony Q

Come on, man. Every little bit helps. WE don't know his exact financial situation.

I work as much Saturday Air as they let me. It's usually 4-6 hours at ~56 dollars an hour. So I probably make on Saturday what a preloader makes all week. I'm thankful for that extra money. I can easily make 10k extra a year doing Saturday Air. That pays for gasoline, groceries plus some other stuff for the year.
@CoolStoryBro

dogs.bite.me

It maybe my inadequate experience in this kind of field.... but just seems silly to punish the Union employees by saying "no, management can't help you, that's stealing work from you" when Union knows (or should know) how hard asks physically intensive our job is.

They could hire a floater who could help. But the corporate bs that you are backing says they can’t. We have like 12 preloaders in my bldg and there are 5 supes. That ratio doesn’t add up.

You’re placing the blame on the union when in actuality is the corporate attitude and their unrealistic production standards.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
You are a marketing executive, and you don't understand how contracts work? I can assure you, UPS doesn't need the union's help to be messed up. The company agrees to staff their operations properly, then refuse to do so. Because they don't staff properly they can't get people to stick around.

Management can't be union because that is about as close to the definition of a conflict of interest as you can get. Whose side does the union take when a manager fires an employee for a bogus reason? That would be like hiring a defense attorney who works for the prosecution.
Easy peasy. If the firing is within the very well defined grounds for termination, it sticks. If an outside arbitrator is needed for appeal process, so be it.