Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Our on cars would be higher quality if they were able to stay union. More former drivers who actually know wtf is going on out there would apply.
Talk to UPS about that. They are the ones that would never allow it. They need obedient little soldiers that question nothing. If they had union backing, they'd question upper management decisions without any fear, like drivers, lol. I'd love to see where you guys work, it must be Disneyland compared to the rest of the buildings for you to even be this naive about the union - management relationship in the first place!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Or, how about just the center manager is non union? Why do pt sups need to be union?

The National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the nation’s primary law determining the rights of employees to join unions and bargain collectively, excludes “supervisors” from the definition of “employee” (29 USC 152 (3)). A “supervisor” is defined as:

any individual having authority, in the interest of the employer, to hire, transfer, suspend, lay off, recall, promote, discharge, assign, reward, or discipline other employees, or responsibly to direct them, or to adjust their grievances, or effectively to recommend such action, if in connection with the foregoing the exercise of such authority is not of a merely routine or clerical nature, but requires the use of independent judgment. (29 USC 152 (11))

Quoted from this article
https://www.epi.org/publication/ib225/

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Easy peasy. If the firing is within the very well defined grounds for termination, it sticks. If an outside arbitrator is needed for appeal process, so be it.

When has the language ever been well defined? When has the company not tried to twist definitions so they can do whatever they want? If the union had to back both sides, they might as well skip the grievence process and go straight to arbitration every time. You know how expensive that would be?

Talk to UPS about that. They are the ones that would never allow it. They need obedient little soldiers that question nothing. If they had union backing, they'd question upper management decisions without any fear, like drivers, lol. I'd love to see where you guys work, it must be Disneyland compared to the rest of the buildings for you to even be this naive about the union - management relationship in the first place!

The NLRB are the ones who would never allow it. Under the NLRA, they cannot be a part of the bargaining unit.

Trailer monkey

Ive been a pre loader for over a year now. Let me preface by saying I have a full time career during the day as a marketing executive for the past 10 years; started pre load to pay off debt faster. Ive never seen a corporation so messed up by Union BS and I have worked with numerous national and international corporations and non profits over my marketing career.

So, after working for UPS for a year as an "hourly" I have to say the Union is more of a detriment than a boon.

First, albeit, Im not familiar with Union style work environments, the Union seems to make our life harder. We have 5 belt supers and all they want to do is help...... but they can't, because the "old school" Union people keep complaining. FYI OLD GUYS, THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP US!!! Its so upsetting when I get stacked out, my supe tries to help catch up and then they have to stop cause some, usually an older driver working pre load, threatened to file a grievance, even after I tried to defend my supe and say I asked for help.

Curious if this is just here or if it happens at multiple locations? Im in a mid size warehouse, 250K city pop. that delivers to about 700K total pop local and surrounding towns.
Your job is to perform your job to the best of your ability. If you still get backed up after doing so, it is not your problem. It is the company's problem, and it can be solved by higher pay, double shifting or more full-time jobs. The company agreed that supervisors are not to do bargaining unit work, staffing is their problem, not yours. Also, the union is not "pushing" for a 7 day week, scheduling is something that is agreed to.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Ours try to do that too (pull and us load), but apparently even touching a package to move from X to Y is a grievance issue. Its gotten to the point that Ill try to keep an eye out for a supe helping just so I can provide a counter statement for "it was an over 70 pound " or "new employee first day" to help our supes. Our supes really try to help; Ive read alot of the posts on here and I guess our supes are in the minority as they are all great. We are in TX though, lol, we all have a help you're neighbor attitude in these parts.
I never understood why its an issue. The loader isn't getting paid any less if a sup touches a package or helps?

F

Frankie's Friend

I never understood why its an issue. The loader isn't getting paid any less if a sup touches a package or helps?
Loaders aren't on salary. Therefore, if someone helps you finish your work it lessens the time you're on the clock and you are paid less...not on the hour but for the day.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
Loaders aren't on salary. Therefore, if someone helps you finish your work it lessens the time you're on the clock and you are paid less...not on the hour but for the day.
I can see that would matter in smaller centers but in mine, one that serves an area of almost 2 million people the packages never stop coming down the belts or slides. From what I have seen even when some of the sups do help, it doesn't really make that big of a difference. The loaders are still loading up to 9am sometimes a little later.

BrownRecycler

Ive been a pre loader for over a year now. Let me preface by saying I have a full time career during the day as a marketing executive for the past 10 years; started pre load to pay off debt faster. Ive never seen a corporation so messed up by Union BS and I have worked with numerous national and international corporations and non profits over my marketing career.

So, after working for UPS for a year as an "hourly" I have to say the Union is more of a detriment than a boon.

First, albeit, Im not familiar with Union style work environments, the Union seems to make our life harder. We have 5 belt supers and all they want to do is help...... but they can't, because the "old school" Union people keep complaining. FYI OLD GUYS, THEY ARE TRYING TO HELP US!!! Its so upsetting when I get stacked out, my supe tries to help catch up and then they have to stop cause some, usually an older driver working pre load, threatened to file a grievance, even after I tried to defend my supe and say I asked for help.

Curious if this is just here or if it happens at multiple locations? Im in a mid size warehouse, 250K city pop. that delivers to about 700K total pop local and surrounding towns.

Supervisor isn't allow to help on union ground. I don't care how old they are.

No point made about regulation being hard on them just ranting for unbalanced friendship.

I can see that would matter in smaller centers but in mine, one that serves an area of almost 2 million people the packages never stop coming down the belts or slides. From what I have seen even when some of the sups do help, it doesn't really make that big of a difference. The loaders are still loading up to 9am sometimes a little later.

If it doesn't really make a big difference, you don't need the help. If you need the help and only a sup is available, your belt is improperly staffed.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
If it doesn't really make a big difference, you don't need the help. If you need the help and only a sup is available, your belt is improperly staffed.
Won't get any arguments there from me. The place is improperly managed. They take any swinging d*ck after being there a few months and make them a sup. So understaffed its almost comical. Putting newbies on three heavy cars, Saturdays they are sending home guys that it would be there 6th punch to try and make the guys that are supposed to come in on Saturday come, but they aren't so it doubles the work on guys that did show up. Having just two guys on a belt to cover 19 cars every Saturday, medium to moderate loaded cars.

Won't get any arguments there from me. The place is improperly managed. They take any swinging d*ck after being there a few months and make them a sup. So understaffed its almost comical. Putting newbies on three heavy cars, Saturdays they are sending home guys that it would be there 6th punch to try and make the guys that are supposed to come in on Saturday come, but they aren't so it doubles the work on guys that did show up. Having just two guys on a belt to cover 19 cars every Saturday, medium to moderate loaded cars.

Sucks for your drivers, but it takes as long as it takes.

F

Frankie's Friend

Dude, they have to hire more people called hourly workers.

Production isn't our responsibility and so if the co refuses to staff any operation then it's on the company. Why do hyou think it's your problem? SMH

Raising the pay=s retention of hourly workers.

And I've said it before, the management never wants to do hourly work until they got into management.

Fuzzy Brown

If you have worked at UPS for a year you should know you don’t work in a warehouse.
I don’t believe you actually work for UPS, you’ve been there a year and the statement you aren’t familiar with a “union style work environment” doesn’t ring true.
UPS is a union company if you don’t like it GTFO.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
It's getting more and more ridiculous.

I did the math on Friday, and 30% of the preload areas in my center were filled by people who were hired within the last two weeks.

I can only guess at the unload, and other areas, but I'd guess somewhere close to that figure.

We just can't keep people. They made a brand new loader last week quit, because they put her in the heaviest spot in the building and left her to crash and burn. Her third day in the building.

I don't even care about the money, at this point.
But they need to slow the belts the *$&% down, stop jamming up the belts, and lighten things up so that we actually get people to stay.

Local McDonald's posted a hire rate of $12/hr. Our pay is $11.
We're getting the people McDonald's won't hire. Think about that.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
It's getting more and more ridiculous.

I did the math on Friday, and 30% of the preload areas in my center were filled by people who were hired within the last two weeks.

I can only guess at the unload, and other areas, but I'd guess somewhere close to that figure.

We just can't keep people. They made a brand new loader last week quit, because they put her in the heaviest spot in the building and left her to crash and burn. Her third day in the building.

I don't even care about the money, at this point.
But they need to slow the belts the *$&% down, stop jamming up the belts, and lighten things up so that we actually get people to stay.

Local McDonald's posted a hire rate of $12/hr. Our pay is $11.
We're getting the people McDonald's won't hire. Think about that.
Another thing that would be wise is a good steady pace. Some days its even flow, not light but not heavy and it gets done on time, sometimes early. Most days for preload its a never ending pile up ass :censored2: till about 20 minutes after break, but by then guys have stacked out and have frayed nerves.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Just reading this last page, they're sure cute when they are noobs. :D

Nothing's going to change, except PPH will increase for no good reason, as will the expected workload and size of packages. I can say this with confidence after seeing firsthand 10 or so of 17 years at UPS, on the preload.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Today was entertaining for a Monday AM, to see several trucks in our center with 350-500 pcs. going out in 1000's and 1200s, and already bricked out before the operation staretd (from Saturdays advanced volume)

WTFm8

Having just two guys on a belt to cover 19 cars every Saturday, medium to moderate loaded cars.

Follow the lifting/lowering and egress methods. Shut the belt down if you have to stack out too much. Take your time lifing/lowering and pivot don’t twist LOL. The union doesn’t recognize the companies production stadards, you’re just expected to do a fair days work for a fair days pay.

SameRightsForAll

The union is not pushing for a 7 day work week. UPS is asking for that. The union sees that the competition is offering 7 day service and is trying to accommodate UPS in this regard in order to stay competitive. And you won't be working 7 days, so it's not more hours. It's that UPS operations can/will run 7 days a week.

To accommodate UPS doesn't require agreeing to the T-friend or W-Sun drivers being paid less for doing the same work without 9.5 protection. This is not called accommodation. It's called somebody has been paid under the table to push this crap through. UPS is going to operate 7 days a week whether the "22.4" passes or not, so let's not say we're accommodating UPS by agreeing to a lesser class of a driver we can crap on as if they're chopped liver grade workers.