UPS Discounts, do they work ????

SteveOUPS

Me and my helper.
I just ordered a Dell laptop computer for my daughter. Dell did not allow me to use any UPS discount whatsoever. They claim because the system was on sale to begin with, that I was not entitled to any discount. Is this how this program works? Does anyone else out there have similar DISCOUNT FAILURE stories?:biting::biting::biting:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We are flyin to Mexico in July, with another couple. Each couple bought their own tickets. I went through Teamsters Priveledge to order tickets which cost 1350$. Our friends used flight points when getting their tickets, which cost them 1390$. Same flights, seats are 1 row apart. We did save some.

I did purchase a new GMC and used my employee discount and saved alot

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!

I was wondering about that Dill. We were thinking about buying a new truck a few months ago. When I got to studying the discounts it only came up to about 1500.00 off sticker price. Down here as in most of the rest of the country I am sure, they are having a heck of a time getting rid of large SUV's and p/u trucks. Nothing unusual to see a discount of 5 to 8 thousand off a new truck. Did you get the employee discount on top of the dealer price?

Sorry Steve........ didn't mean to hijack your thread!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
HR as a UPS emp we get the same pricing as a GMC employee would get. 10% over dealer cost. Not applicable on all manufacturers. But yes GMC is one. Go to UPSERS and fill out applicable info, print it out, take it to your dealer. Dealer is supposed to show you dealer cost sheet. The Envoy I bought was stickered at about 35K I walked out the door (all costs) at 25K (approx).

J

jedispork

upsers get 25% off sprint cell phones. I think there is a discount for verizon also.
this saves a lot of money over time.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I can't get the verizon discount to work. I have had verizon since they were commnet here. I have an inexpensive plan at $69 a month and when I try to use the discount it always says my plan is under $59 so I don't qualify.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
My wife and I do have the discounted cell phone plan with AT&T/Cingular. We got one phone free and paid about 40 bucks for the second. Then our plan is discounted by 20% each month. Talk about a waste of money. We are on the cheapest plan at 700 minutes a month. I paid the bill for last month and we had 502 rollover minutes left for the month and over 2000 for the year. Think I need a cell phone? Nope. But at least the discount is good and she can get hold of me if need be. UPS does not have my cell phone number!

H

Hanson Brother

Hey Dilligaf, I have been looking into getting an Envoy. What all did you have to do to get the 10K off. Supplier discount, dealer incentives?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is the disclaimer on the employee discount homepage:

"The companies offering discounts in this program are made available through negotiated contracts with the UPS Corporate Procurement Services Department and may not always represent the absolute lowest price available. Additionally, some companies may restrict participation or limit quantities. As with any purchase, employees should be good consumers and research best prices and products. Details of discounts are available from the individual provider."

I also used my GM Supplier Discount for both of my vehicles and also received any rebates that were available for those vehicles; however, I was not able to negotiate below the GMSD price so I may have gotten a better deal w/o the discount. I would think, especially on SUVs, you would get a better price w/o using the discount. Of course, with gas at $3.70/gallon why would anyone want to buy one? We have one station just off the interstate that is getting $3.93/gallon for regular, $3.99 for the next and $4.09 for super. Diesel is $4.59.

The discount for Verizon Wireless is 22% and for the person who has been having a hard time getting their discount applied to their account I would definitely call them and/or visit one of their stores as you should be getting the discount.

I was able to save $500 on my plasma TV and $200 on my blu-ray DVD through the discount program (Panasonic) and did not pay for shipping.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I use a bunch of the discounts that are offered to us. I do NOT use the car or vacation discounts though. You can do better on your own if you know how to bargain, especially on the car. They told me $4500 off on my Volvo thru UPS' plan but I ended up knocking off $7500 on my own.

I do use: shoes.com, Crutchfield, AT&T, Harman, and several other places.

Big Babooba

I can't get the verizon discount to work. I have had verizon since they were commnet here. I have an inexpensive plan at $69 a month and when I try to use the discount it always says my plan is under $59 so I don't qualify.
Try calling them at *611. Talk to a human. I get the 22% discount on my plan and it's below $69 / month. Good luck.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hey Dilligaf, I have been looking into getting an Envoy. What all did you have to do to get the 10K off. Supplier discount, dealer incentives?

That was approximate, and I did as I posted, I went to UPSERS. I also did some research online, finding out what the typical costs/rebates were for the vehicle that I was interested in. And then I went to my dealer and we negotiated. Yes I did get the incentives. I went on a sunday and I think that helped some to. They were slow and wanted the sale. All in all I spent about 6 hrs at the dealers. As bad as fuel prices are right now and as slow as suv's are selling the deals might even be better. Mine is an 06. I love it. It's the first new vehicle I have ever had.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I use a bunch of the discounts that are offered to us. I do NOT use the car or vacation discounts though. You can do better on your own if you know how to bargain, especially on the car. They told me $4500 off on my Volvo thru UPS' plan but I ended up knocking off $7500 on my own.

I do use: shoes.com, Crutchfield, AT&T, Harman, and several other places.

Cement, I was a little disappointed in the travel discount and I probably won't use that again.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I bought my wife a new Ford last November and got it at the "X Plan" price which is about $300 over the Ford Employee Discount. I also got a discount on my cell phone with the discount. Car dealers run a very deceptive business. They use a lot of different ways to price cars. You can use a pricing service like Consumers Reports that offer to find the exact price that the dealer paid for the car you want so you can negotiate the lowest price. Manufacturers will offer dealers special rebates that the customer will not be told about. so when you sign that paper giving the dealer that $1000 rebate back he may be getting twice that.

LKLND3380

Save money! Top online coupons and deals

If you are an online shopper, you’ve probably seen the “do you have a coupon code?” box during the checkout process. Most people skip this because they don’t know a code. Smart consumers have discovered how many coupon codes there are and how easy they are to find and use. They’ve also discovered the incredible deals that exist when combining coupons with sale prices and other discounts.

I estimate that 90 percent of the stores you shop at have a coupon, at any given time. For example, BradsDeals.com is currently tracking over 2,300 active coupons for over 800 stores. Taking 30 seconds to grab a coupon code can save you hundreds or thousands of dollars over the course of a year.

Another way to find outstanding deals is to combine a coupon with a sale price. Here are a few top examples of this:
Dyson DC14 Vacuum $380: This retails for $505 and is on sale at Overstock.com for $439.99. An additional $60 discount is applied through a link on BradsDeals.com, cutting the price to $379.99. $2.95 shipping and no sales tax are an additional savings.

Time magazine subscription, $11: 28 issues has a cover price of $138.60. Magazines.com has subscriptions for $16. Entering coupon code cuts that price to $11.

5-piece Samsonite luggage set $128: This retails for $250. eBags.com has it on sale for $159.99. Entering 20 percent off coupon code cuts the price to $127.99.

Don’t shop online? You should. In addition to thousands of coupon codes and lower prices, many stores offer free shipping and you’ll also save up to 10 percent by avoiding sales tax (if a company is not physically located in your state, your purchase is sales tax free). Many online stores now offer free return shipping, too. For example, at a shoe store (I like Shoes.com or Shoebuy.com), this allows you to order multiple sizes and only keep the pair that fits.

If you’re concerned about safety, just use a good credit card with strong consumer protections. They will back you up if anything bad happens.

LKLND3380

We are flyin to Mexico in July, with another couple. Each couple bought their own tickets. I went through Teamsters Priveledge to order tickets which cost 1350$. Our friends used flight points when getting their tickets, which cost them 1390$. Same flights, seats are 1 row apart. We did save some.

Teamster Vacations:
http://www.teamstervacations.com/

LV_TSC

Going Green!
I ordered a Dell laptop, and got a decent discount.... when I first ran it through and priced it... it was pre tax - about 2000.... when I added the discount, talked to a guy, got a few upgrades... after all of that AND tax, it ended up costing 1800... I'd say that's a good deal.