UPS & IBT 2013 Contract - UPS Press Release as of 3/7/2013

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Hoax, nobody is this stupid! This is easily the dumbest thing I have ever heard, or seen, anyone say in the last 5 years! please, for the love of god buy a clue!! Every time you open your gash the public substracts 50 IQ points from everybody they see in brown.
I believe Hoax was usinge satire/sarcasm. I dont believe someone with 94 posts should spout off quite like you did.....Whoa cowboy.

Some of the other forums I'm on use blue font as sarcasm. It makes it nice.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Does that make it maroon proof? LOL

I am truly amazed at the lack of nuanced understanding by some people.

These people are so would up in themselves, they don't take the time or lack the ability to see humor when it surrounds them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I believe Hoax was using satire/sarcasm. I don't believe someone with 94 posts should spout off quite like you did.....Whoa cowboy.

As my Harley buddies say, "You can't fix stupid".

BenBen has been on here for 4 years ... more than long enough to realize that Baba gounj has been advertising the petition to see the Obama birth certificate ever since benben has been on Brown Cafe

http://www.browncafe.com/community/...lic-release-of-bhos-birth-certificate.201367/

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The following is directly from the public facing "Pressroom UPS website" as of March 7th, 2013. It is interesting to read how UPS is portraying our current contract negotiations to the media and to our customers. Apparently, UPS seems confident in reaching an agreement by July 31, 2013. I wanted to post the current information here......in order to monitor how these press releases may change in the coming weeks/months.

"We want a good contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace. We're confident we can reach that goal." (From Below)

UPS & IBT Teamsters Contract FAQs

Q: What is the status of negotiations between UPS and the Teamsters?
A: The current negotiations between UPS and the Teamsters are ongoing. Negotiations began on September 27, 2012, nearly a year prior to the expiration of the current agreement. Progress has been made over the last several months. In the past two negotiations, UPS and the union also began early and arrived at new agreements well before the existing agreements expired. Our present relationship is a positive one. The Teamsters recognize that UPS success translates into jobs and progress for all UPS employees. UPS remains confident we can reach an agreement with the Teamsters in advance of the current contract's expiration date of July 31.
Q: As a customer, should I be concerned about picketing and other union activities I've seen reported in the media?
A: Activities such as information sharing by the union and member meetings are common occurrences during negotiations and are not indicative of the state of negotiations. This is a normal part of the negotiation cycle. The media and other third parties may speculate on key issues or on the substance of discussions. Negotiations, however, take place at the bargaining table. While negotiations progress, UPS is focused on providing outstanding service to our customers while negotiating a contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace.
UPS remains confident we can reach an agreement with the Teamsters in advance of the current contract's expiration date of July 31.
Q: When does the current contract expire?
A: The current agreement is in effect through July 31, 2013.
Q: Who is part of the contract?
A: There are two main master agreements. One covers our part-time and full-time employees in the package operation, and the second covers employees at UPS Freight® - our less-than-truckload (LTL) and truckload company.
Q: When did negotiations start?
A: The Teamsters leadership unanimously agreed to open negotiations early, beginning September 27, 2012. UPS supported an early start to negotiations, which is the right thing to do for our customers, our shareowners and our employees. Both of the last two negotiations started early and finished early.
Q: What happens during the negotiations?
A: A typical cycle has two phases: negotiation and ratification. During a typical negotiation cycle, "non-economic" issues (e.g., work rules, seniority rights, time off, safety, equipment, etc.) and "economic" issues (e.g., pay and benefits) are discussed. UPS and Teamster representatives negotiate the issues; the process normally takes place over several months. Once a handshake agreement is reached, UPS and the Teamsters will make a public announcement. The union then sends the contract offer to UPS Teamster-represented employees for approval, which can take several weeks. Once the contract is ratified, UPS gain makes a public announcement.
Q: What does UPS want to get out of these negotiations?
A: We want a good contract that rewards our employees and allows us the necessary flexibilities to remain competitive in the marketplace. We're confident we can reach that goal.
Q: Why won't you publically disclose the issues raised at the table?
A: UPS does not negotiate through the news media or social media. We have told reporters that UPS will always be a source of accurate information regarding the current agreement. As the talks progress, UPS will not discuss the substance of what is said at the negotiating table. We will not outline to the news media our proposals or those of the union.

THIS PRESS RELEASE SAYS "NOTHING".

Its a worthless piece of paper, like everything else UPS creates and attempts to feed us each and everyday.

We are prepared to strike this company on August 1st should they maintain the position they currently hold.

willstrikeifprovoked.jpg

We mean business, just like they do.

Peace

TOS

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I like blue, my dog is named blue, its my favorite color. All my favorite set of pottery bowls are blue. Other than that I think people should reign in the admonishments of others, when it is clear to anyone who has been here any length of time, that it was sarcasm. Other than that the whole post was filled with vitriol ~~~ is that a word? filled with judgementalism. Ok it was just silliness.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I like blue, my dog is named blue, its my favorite color. All my favorite set of pottery bowls are blue. Other than that I think people should reign in the admonishments of others, when it is clear to anyone who has been here any length of time, that it was sarcasm. Other than that the whole post was filled with vitriol ~~~ is that a word? filled with judgementalism. Ok it was just silliness.

It was funny more than anything else.

C

chuchu

Par timers could control the contract. They could demand that drivers take a 15% reduction in pay and demand a 15% increase in pay for the part time ranks. Would suck for us full timers but could be a good benefit for the part timers. They have the numbers. Surprised that UPS isn't educating the part timers of their power. I guess it would come back to bite UPS in the future, just thinking out loud.

I was told by multiple sources that the company gives the Teamsters X amount of $ per hour and the union divides it up assigning a dollar per hour amount to each group. Any truth to that? If so, maybe you should talk to your BA and or the IBT and let them know what you think about their math.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
( #1) p/t workers are like bhos' low interest voters , they are never told just what power they actually have.
(#2) being always in small groups , they lack knowledge & a way to project that knowledge to make it powerful.
( #3) thus all the wishful thinking done here about making them a powerhouse is just a waste of time & effort .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
THIS PRESS RELEASE SAYS "NOTHING".

Its a worthless piece of paper, like everything else UPS creates and attempts to feed us each and everyday.

We are prepared to strike this company on August 1st should they maintain the position they currently hold.

willstrikeifprovoked.jpg

We mean business, just like they do.

Peace

TOS
Yawn

Par timers could control the contract. They could demand that drivers take a 15% reduction in pay and demand a 15% increase in pay for the part time ranks. Would suck for us full timers but could be a good benefit for the part timers. They have the numbers. Surprised that UPS isn't educating the part timers of their power. I guess it would come back to bite UPS in the future, just thinking out loud.
There are more Ft's then Pt's, that will never happen!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There are more Ft's then Pt's, that will never happen!!

Incorrect, its the other way around. They are for the most part not into union business as much as full timers. A lot are students that are only planning to work for UPS until they finish school. Thats the way I was back when I started. Some are only here for the health insurance they might not get from their second job. If the part time employees ever got together at contract time, they could get just about whatever they wanted. Most of them just don't care.

Incorrect, its the other way around. They are for the most part not into union business as much as full timers. A lot are students that are only planning to work for UPS until they finish school. Thats the way I was back when I started. Some are only here for the health insurance they might not get from their second job. If the part time employees ever got together at contract time, they could get just about whatever they wanted. Most of them just don't care.
UPS have some what of 250,000 union employes 175,000 to 200,000 Ft, rest Pt not good odds.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Simply go to a union meeting and notice how many drivers are there and how many part timers are present.....

I have been through a few contracts since I started in 1975. In the past, UPS gives the IBT a certain amount of money for raises and benefits. Its the union that decides how that is divided up.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
UPS have some what of 250,000 union employes 175,000 to 200,000 Ft, rest Pt not good odds.

I don't know where you get your information from but it is a bad source.

Last time I saw the numbers, there was almost twice as many Part-time employees in bargaining unit positions as there were Full-time.

I don't know where you get your information from but it is a bad source.

Last time I saw the numbers, there was almost twice as many Part-time employees in bargaining unit positions as there were Full-time.
There are 90,000 to 100,000 package drive's in the us. How does that math work when a loader does a set and the cach Bldg is all Ft's (9,000).