ups in America shrinking in upper management.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Re: U.S. Central Region to be consolidated (UPSers.com)

While y'all are consolidating, my keys are on the hook next to the dash, remember that August 1st.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It says to me, that these rah rah supervisors don't know what is going to hit them when the directive comes from above. With computers, there is less and less need for direct supervision. With driving, all management needs anymore is a center manager and one or two sups to do safety rides. In feeders, they're getting a system ready to eliminate the majority of the people in the dispatch department. Instead of us calling in at the gates and having the ladies tell us where to put our trailers, the new system will tell our IVIS where to put the trailers. But the system isn't on-line yet. When it is, though, it's not very hard to see where it's heading. All of those ladies in the dispatch office will be gone. Maybe one or two will be left, to man the computers, but the rest will be history, I'm sure. So, it's not hard to see that the same treatment with on-car and on-road supervisors. Upper management really doesn't care about their supervisors like they used to in the past.

They are just like us now. Oh how the wheel turns.

curiousbrain

I would echo Dracula's sentiment, and I don't regard this as a phenomenon unique to UPS.

Job elimination due to technological advancement isn't something unique to labor jobs (e.g. automotive manufacturing); it just takes a little longer to make management redundant (I'm sure many people would argue that point) - at which point, their jobs go out the window too.

Hell, in a Douglas Adams'esque absurd future, one might even see large chunks of executive government being handed over to some person sitting behind a computer, with no real idea how it all works, but trained just enough to "help" the computer make the "right" decision - all in the name of controlling cost.

InsideUPS

Just heard that ups America went from 3 regions too two, east and west.

Is this good or bad, let's toss some crap around on this.

I heard that they eliminated the UPS Central Region to start training the laid off management from that Region for driver and sorter jobs...... available on August 1, 2013. (Hoaxterism)

Indecisi0n

We just got a new sup last week:

Johnny%205%20from%20Short%20Circuit.jpg

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
If this were the case. My center of 22 ft areas. Has 10 management positions thru out the day. Ft is the target this contract. From upstanding the union.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We would be a better, stronger company if we got rid of even more of our bloated, top-heavy layers of management and simply empowered our local management people to make operational decisions. My job would be a lot easier if my center manager quit having to jump through the hoops and generate the stupid metrics that some fatass Regional Manager dreams up in a cubicle 500 miles away.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It says to me, that these rah rah supervisors don't know what is going to hit them when the directive comes from above. With computers, there is less and less need for direct supervision. With driving, all management needs anymore is a center manager and one or two sups to do safety rides. In feeders, they're getting a system ready to eliminate the majority of the people in the dispatch department. Instead of us calling in at the gates and having the ladies tell us where to put our trailers, the new system will tell our IVIS where to put the trailers. But the system isn't on-line yet. When it is, though, it's not very hard to see where it's heading. All of those ladies in the dispatch office will be gone. Maybe one or two will be left, to man the computers, but the rest will be history, I'm sure. So, it's not hard to see that the same treatment with on-car and on-road supervisors. Upper management really doesn't care about their supervisors like they used to in the past.

They are just like us now. Oh how the wheel turns.

I find it funny that direct supervisors would love to use technology to discipline us. Guess what if that happens they will soon be looking for a job.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Hell, Hoax will tell you...UPS has been treating their sups poorly for quite a while now. Probably just as bad as us...maybe worse.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hell, Hoax will tell you...UPS has been treating their sups poorly for quite a while now. Probably just as bad as us...maybe worse.

Fortunately, I cannot do that.
I have worked in a process management group in the Corporate structure.
No one is treated poorly as long as they are producing.

District operations sups have always had a tough job but were compensated more than sups in support functions.
Based on what I have heard from reliable sources, operations sups have it even rougher now than 20 years ago.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
......Based on what I have heard from reliable sources, operations sups have it even rougher now than 20 years ago.

Other than the occasional center manager change and the PT supes that seem to change like the seasons, we've had the same basic management team for twenty years or so. Poor SOB's are just as jaded as the hourlies.