UPS to become the Sears & Robuck Of shipping??

Overpaid Union Thug

My point missed you. I was saying, your train of thought -- "the company is doomed" -- does not encourage the kind of prudence you think it does. If it's the last hurrah, as you seem to say it is, then I say we shouldn't at all tread meekly.

Your point was crystal clear.

Is “not treating meekly” asking for increased pay and benefits (that are already better than what most people have) from your employer as it’s trying to survive and increase profits? Ya know….the money earned after all operational and labor costs. Much of which is reinvested into further growing the company and adding jobs. We’re not there yet but we might be. And sooner than you think. And we don’t need to repeat part of what ruined UAW jobs in Detroit when that time comes. That would be an idiotic move.
Bingo! Not until the rank and file is ready to act, anyway ...

One would think, but I hope one day workers manage to cast off this sham way of life and bring about the demise of all companies in anything like their current form. I'd be happy to trade my pension for that, and, in fact, the usual wisdom is not to count on it anyway since we're in a "race to the bottom."
Good to hear. As long as we keep in mind that "raises" which don't account for inflation are also pay cuts.
Sounds like communist talk to me. Our overall labor/corporate structure in this country isn’t perfect. But it’s still the envy of 99% of the the rest of the planet as is the standard of living it provides for those that participate. Your “reset” of that isn’t worth giving up a pension for.
A sunday school lesson in labor-management relations delivered by a "union thug"?! Yowza.
No lesson. Just a reminder that most companies simply can’t function without employees doing the work and someone else managing the fort.

And my screen name has no relevance to the topic. Nor doesn’t the name represent an accurate depiction of me. But since you brought it up…..i. was called that name by a friend many years ago when I started at UPS who knew perfectly well I was neither overpaid (was rockin $9/hr then) or a union thug (hadn’t even joined yet) which was why the joke was made. Although I have been called that by a few anonymous :censored2:s over the years across many different online platforms. So the the name kinda stuck.

Last edited:

Its_a_me

It’s hard to compete with competition that is able to constantly recycle bodies for a fraction of the pay while also being a publicly owned company. And the latter is how we ended up with ORION. The biggest failure/waste of money ever by UPS.

That is because you think ORION was being used to aid (/control/reduce mileage) drivers vs it's true intentions. ORION is a data collection database that will be used to automate vehicles. It's current iteration is not what it will eventually be used for and they rename it and make it seem better--but it's true purpose is a data repository to get rid of your wages.

With enough data now the automated truck knows what to do for every single address at any given time.

Its_a_me

Monday at 4:26 PM

Yeah they just put in an order for 20 767s because we’re going out of business, lolol. While I do agree the loss of big accounts is somewhat puzzling, UPS isn’t going anywhere.

Feeder Driver

That's so next year when the payment is due on the planes the Union will say the company is very profitable and UPS will point to it's balance sheets and show their revenue was down significantly on higher operating costs.

Watch all the new equipment that rolls into the buildings just before '22 operating year closes--just like last time.

And the Teamsters will roll over with another best contract ever. One that includes another .07 loss of purchasing power after COLA just like Dec 20 to Dec 21 (because the union even got beat on the formula calculations):

source--- CPI Inflation Calculator

go ahead plug in your previous wages and the COLA allowance from Nov'20 to Nov'21 and see what you lost on purchasing power after COLA.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
That is because you think ORION was being used to aid (/control/reduce mileage) drivers vs it's true intentions. ORION is a data collection database that will be used to automate vehicles. It's current iteration is not what it will eventually be used for and they rename it and make it seem better--but it's true purpose is a data repository to get rid of your wages.

With enough data now the automated truck knows what to do for every single address at any given time.

I can’t wait to see the automated trucks trying to deliver a business from the wrong side of a four lane highway while I’m standing on the corner with a cardboard sign.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
We may be doomed, but it's not for ANY of the reasons you listed

Your comparison to Sears does have some validity though, finance elves killed that company too

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
After working for this company for more than 33 years I am utterly shellshocked at the reputation this company has Now. Between people complaining about how packages are late and/or missed delivered not to mention just leaving them at the door after business hours what has happened? we are losing big shippers left and right and no one seems to care And of course we don’t even look professional out there anymore. It’s truly disheartening and with all of the new competition out there it’s hard to believe UPS can be competitive considering where the highest priced in the industry with such a piss poor service with that being said I truly believe this new contract will tell a lot about the direction this company will be going. But I truly believe in the end if we don’t change your ways we will become the Sears & Robuck of the shipping industry bankrupt!!!
Apparently you haven’t seen the bottom line OT the competition

Overpaid Union Thug

9D1612C0-FF98-4236-9D0B-A52436B3FE23.gif

I can’t wait to see the automated trucks trying to deliver a business from the wrong side of a four lane highway while I’m standing on the corner with a cardboard sign.
Well, at least that would get UPS vehicles out of the way of Amazon’s that are coming the wrong way as well.

Whither

Scofflaw
Is “not treating meekly” asking for increased pay and benefits (that are already better than what most people have) from your employer as it’s trying to survive and increase profits? Ya know….the money earned after all operational and labor costs. Much of which is reinvested into further growing the company and adding jobs. We’re not there yet but we might be. And sooner than you think. And we don’t need to repeat part of what ruined UAW jobs in Detroit when that time comes. That would be an idiotic move.
Do tell, what, in your opinion "ruined UAW jobs in Detroit"?
Sounds like communist talk to me. Our overall labor/corporate structure in this country isn’t perfect. But it’s still the envy of 99% of the the rest of the planet as is the standard of living it provides for those that participate. Your “reset” of that isn’t worth giving up a pension for.
That's because it is communist talk. You're making excuses. Why would you take pride in a country that pointed rifles and bayonets against our ancestors (striking workers) and later passed laws (Taft-Hartley above all) to undermine and ultimately destroy unions? To make it clearer where I stand, I will share a joke: the only thing stupider than patriotism for your own country is patriotism for someone else's.

Maybe you haven't gotten the news, but capital has already been doing away with our pensions. Why would a system based on maximizing profit/productivity give two craps about the livelihood of damaged cogs that are no longer fit to keep the machine running? That's "dead weight," it would be a stupid "inefficiency" to shoulder such burdens. :lol:
No lesson. Just a reminder that most companies simply can’t function without employees doing the work and someone else managing the fort.
Sounds like drudgery. You forgot to add the part that, in most companies, someone else entirely is reaping the lion's share of the benefits of all this work. Ironically, no different than was and is the case in Russia and China. Have you heard about all the billionaires the Chinese "communist" system is producing? It's amazing; it's almost like the purpose of all governments is to fortify class divisions while telling those of us within their borders that we're all part of one big, happy, productive family.

UPSER1987

How much less?
Lol. Much less. Nobody cares who tosses their box at the front door. UPS used to be a cut above (safety, service and production) - that is no longer the case. It’s always just some homeless looking guy. I always get my Amazon and/or Fedx packages before UPS deliveries and in better condition. Why pay more for the same or less service?

vvv

Lol. Much less. Nobody cares who tosses their box at the front door. UPS used to be a cut above (safety, service and production) - that is no longer the case. It’s always just some homeless looking guy. I always get my Amazon and/or Fedx packages before UPS deliveries and in better condition. Why pay more for the same or less service?
Not true, the ladies out on my run definitely care about who's tossing it in their box.....especially at the rear door.

Overpaid Union Thug

Do tell, what, in your opinion "ruined UAW jobs in Detroit"?

That's because it is communist talk. You're making excuses. Why would you take pride in a country that pointed rifles and bayonets against our ancestors (striking workers) and later passed laws (Taft-Hartley above all) to undermine and ultimately destroy unions? To make it clearer where I stand, I will share a joke: the only thing stupider than patriotism for your own country is patriotism for someone else's.

Maybe you haven't gotten the news, but capital has already been doing away with our pensions. Why would a system based on maximizing profit/productivity give two craps about the livelihood of damaged cogs that are no longer fit to keep the machine running? That's "dead weight," it would be a stupid "inefficiency" to shoulder such burdens. :lol:

Sounds like drudgery. You forgot to add the part that, in most companies, someone else entirely is reaping the lion's share of the benefits of all this work. Ironically, no different than was and is the case in Russia and China. Have you heard about all the billionaires the Chinese "communist" system is producing? It's amazing; it's almost like the purpose of all governments is to fortify class divisions while telling those of us within their borders that we're all part of one big, happy, productive family.
Oh wow you really are a communist. And the worst kind. Reaping the benefits of the very system you want to replace it with instead of moving somewhere else that already has it in place.

4B3635C1-FF53-4CFB-B0CC-731697F192D8.jpeg