Wages: Lets get to the facts

bbsam

Staff member
Yes we do make more than regional drivers. But from what I've seen they are even less professional and more unsafe than the average ground driver. And those regional drivers do not work for a multi $ billion company that does business worldwide. Again, there is no reason a multi $ billion company who prides itself as a top company to work for to treat it's frontline workers with such disdain. There is absolutely no justification.
It's not disdain. It's business. They don't have feelings one way or another. This is a multibillion dollar worldwide company, not a mom and pop shop. We are parts of a corporation with an aim at maximizing profits.

P

prodriver

I shall remain thankful. Thankful I was innovative in diversifying the way to earn a living.

Not asking for an ego stroking D. I was requesting a thoughtful debate as to my statements. I use sarcasm, facts, and verbally spar. I try my best not to verbally harass or lash out.

Oh yes, being safe in a Fedex vehicle is skilled. Excellent resume point. Your labor provides a significant part of the overall labor market, performing daily production tasks that do not depend on technical abilities. Menial or repetitive tasks are typical unskilled labor positions. Jobs that can be fully learned in less than 30 days often fall into the unskilled labor category.
There is no way you can learn a full route in 30 days, as far as being menial tell that to the lady who had to go to the emergency room because ups misdelivered her meds( we are now delivering it).

!Retired!

$33.19/hr. 31 years in. $101,500 last year. You decide if this is a living wage.
Work for Brown.
Depends on where you live.
There is no way you can learn a full route in 30 days, as far as being menial tell that to the lady who had to go to the emergency room because ups misdelivered her meds( we are now delivering it).
If you can't learn a route in 30 days, you should go do something else.

P

prodriver

[quproblemsIVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U, post: 1280161, member: 45051"]Oh great... Im sure she will be happy to get her package. 6 days late. That will be a big help![/quote]
No problems in over a year.

MAKAVELI

It's not disdain. It's business. They don't have feelings one way or another. This is a multibillion dollar worldwide company, not a mom and pop shop. We are parts of a corporation with an aim at maximizing profits.
It is disdain. They can maximize profits while treating it's workers with respect and rewarding hard work and dedication. It is possible. Gap just increased it's workers minimum wages without a federal mandate or union. I think that is an honorable thing for a company to do for it's workers. It's too bad most of corporate America can't understand this concept.

[quproblemsIVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U, post: 1280161, member: 45051"]Oh great... Im sure she will be happy to get her package. 6 days late. That will be a big help!
No problems in over a year.[/quote]
I guess you dont deliver to my house...The few packages, that I get Fedex HD. Their Is alaways a problem. Im not just saying that, because I wear a brown uniform. Its always a small dollar item= no signature required. It always shows on the fedex tracking site...Customer not home. Then magically a week osr so later, its on my door step. WTF??

Z

ZQXC

If you can't learn a route in 30 days, you should go do something else.

All routes are not equal. Years ago I had to cover a route that encompassed 350 square miles of swamp and scrub brush. Only 1 road in the entire county was named. There was 1 traffic signal where a State highway crossed a Federal highway.

Try and learn that bad boy in 30 days.

P

prodriver

Sure you can get through a route but being good at is different altogether, especially if it is saturated with resis.

P

prodriver

I guess you dont deliver to my house...The few packages, that I get Fedex HD. Their Is alaways a problem. Im not just saying that, because I wear a brown uniform. Its always a small dollar item= no signature required. It always shows on the fedex tracking site...Customer not home. Then magically a week osr so later, its on my door step. WTF??[/quote]
Put house #s up, seriously there are drivers in every opco that just dont care.

P

prodriver

[quote="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1280175, member: 12570buildinghe answer would be the same provided the new hire is allowed to stay on the same route for the entire 30 days.[/quote]
If this was true a couple of the best drivers in my building wouldn't have a job they are around 50 and started out having trouble mapping out routes and scanner issues took a little longer for them guys. I see value in guys that age they don't make stupid mistakes and show up every day.

Serf

$33.19/hr. 31 years in. $101,500 last year. You decide if this is a living wage.

Work for Brown.
It's upper middle class in the Northeast. 100k gross will get you a nice cape cod home in a good neighborhood. 2 cars, 2 kids, maybe a vacation every year or every other year. In midwest on 100k gross you could have much more. But it's all relative to the lifestyle you live and location.

bbsam

Staff member
It is disdain. They can maximize profits while treating it's workers with respect and rewarding hard work and dedication. It is possible. Gap just increased it's workers minimum wages without a federal mandate or union. I think that is an honorable thing for a company to do for it's workers. It's too bad most of corporate America can't understand this concept.
I thin you are projecting. This company has no emotion in how it treats workers.

Serf

I guess you haven't diversified yourself enough to be working an unskilled job with stagnant wages and poor benefits. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would be doing something totally different for a lot more $. Nice try though bro. You are one of the dumb asses just like the rest of us.

FedEx does not hold me or my lifestyle hostage. In fact, it allows for more freedom of movement. If I have a down week, or it's a specific season, Express provides the extra monthly income I don't necessarily depend on but am fortunate to have. Instead it opens up other doors. Like making an extra mortgage payment, a weekend away or in the city, new truck tires, etc. I probably could do something totally different for more money. But my commute to work is less then 5 miles. And the level of commitment they demand from me is much less then other occupations similar or different. I guess misery really does love company stops per hour.

MAKAVELI

FedEx does not hold me or my lifestyle hostage. In fact, it allows for more freedom of movement. If I have a down week, or it's a specific season, Express provides the extra monthly income I don't necessarily depend on but am fortunate to have. Instead it opens up other doors. Like making an extra mortgage payment, a weekend away or in the city, new truck tires, etc. I probably could do something totally different for more money. But my commute to work is less then 5 miles. And the level of commitment they demand from me is much less then other occupations similar or different. I guess misery really does love company stops per hour.
I'm sure it does in purple kool aid land. Trust me you aren't the first to come along and claim you don't need the job, you could be doing something else but chose not to. I have heard it many, many times from people who like to talk about themselves all the time. More times than not it's just someone trying to make up for something they are lacking in their lives. Like I said. If you are as smart as you think you are, you wouldn't be at FedEx, and definitely not an unskilled worker like the rest of us.

P

prodriver

I guess you dont deliver to my house...The few packages, that I get Fedex HD. Their Is alaways a problem. Im not just saying that, because I wear a brown uniform. Its always a small dollar item= no signature required. It always shows on the fedex tracking site...Customer not home. Then magically a week osr so later, its on my door step. WTF??[/quote]
Sounds like smart post.