Wages: Lets get to the facts

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
younger individuals with scary thoughts or credentials.
Not young and no scary thoughts nor credentials.
"Socioeconomic class"? Really guys.... I'm guessing MW is not bashing anyone or their pay. I think (and assume) MW is trying to make the point that we're all kind of (more or less) in the same boat. Why hang on classes or try to define quotes into a box. I think (correct me if I'm wrong MW).... he's not trying to figure out what each route makes vs living expenses/life style choices/hardships.... he's more about empathizing that we're all kind of screwed in these jobs/conditions we wish we didn't have to take.
I know, I'd much rather be working a management job making $200K/yr as an investment banker with no physical labor and be my own boss. Forget breaking us all into sub-socialeconomic groups.... we're all in the same boat...... and this boat has rats and vermin we wish weren't on board with us.
(rant over) Hoping and wishing you all a good night and hope you can see my point is.... we should all get along on here, not take posts personal and IF we're gonna hate on anyone... hate "the man".

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
"Socioeconomic class"? Really guys.... I'm guessing MW is not bashing anyone or their pay. I think (and assume) MW is trying to make the point that we're all kind of (more or less) in the same boat. Why hang on classes or try to define quotes into a box. I think (correct me if I'm wrong MW).... he's not trying to figure out what each route makes vs living expenses/life style choices/hardships.... he's more about empathizing that we're all kind of screwed in these jobs/conditions we wish we didn't have to take.
I know, I'd much rather be working a management job making $200K/yr as an investment banker with no physical labor and be my own boss. Forget breaking us all into sub-socialeconomic groups.... we're all in the same boat...... and this boat has rats and vermin we wish weren't on board with us.
(rant over) Hoping and wishing you all a good night and hope you can see my point is.... we should all get along on here, not take posts personal and IF we're gonna hate on anyone... hate "the man".

I don't mean any disrespect, but in a previous post you said that you started reading at page 5. You might want to read a little more before trying to guess what he is trying to say. You may just come up with a different understanding. I don't hate him. I've never met him. I hate no one..

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
I sound like a broken record because the people that I interact with are in denial that my glass is half full, instead of half empty.
Okay, I slugged through the whole thread and damn, ya'll are throwing down some serious points..... BUT forget politics and taking sides..... I still don't think MW deserves to be vilified.
#1 He's a working grunt like all of us.
#2 Sorter, Driver, Unloader, FredEx, UPS, FU delivery service or shuttle driver..... working safely and working hard for your pay is all the same. Sure, some have it better, some have it worse but MW is a "glass is half full, thank god I have a job that pays me a living wage" kind of guy. Some on here are talking about their $90K jobs being not enough $ or worked too many hours.... and then a guy who's making less than $20K sees this is thinking, "hell, I'd love to drive for 15 hours to make that kind of dough".
Yes, we know FedEx is not as good as UPS in terms of pay but before I started at UPS, I've never really had a problem with either service... now I feel sorry for (empathize with the plight of) any delivery driver. These jobs are hard, under-appreciated and frankly at any pay rate underpaid..... unless you're a guy trying to make ends meet on $7.35/hour at 35 hours/week.
I also would like to point out.... yes, I too believe (in my center and with GPS) I could work a driver route and learn it in 30 days. Sure no where near as efficiently as experienced drivers and I'll take a bunch of heat from management..... but friend management. They give us heat because they are scared their jobs will suffer if they don't give us grief and document it.
Let's all breath..... step back and drop this thread to no where.
We are all working long hours and spending a staurday nght posting about who's right, smarter, works harder will not make us any of those things.
I'm off to bed (after posting I'd be signing off in 10 minutes.... and hour ago, so I too am a jackas$)
Good night all and may we all be safe, work smarter and at least be civil (maybe crack a smile) to our fellow brothers and sisters slugging boxes for a living.

White Line

The financial situation of most people in this group who are career employees is similar as it relates to locality/region and time in company/age it is actually easier to presume than one would think. It's like the Military. Nobody is rich except for high ranking officers. And all of us frontline employees are all in the same pay grades so to speak. For example junior enlisted (ME) or employees with under 9 years or so. And you senior enlisted over a decade or so. Using a $14.00-25.00 pay scale everyone is grouped into a similar socioeconomic category regardless of overtime or not.
I do not hold anyone in disdain. On the contrary I love you bastards. Because in a way you all are grunts, and you'll continue to take it on the chin. Also, unfortunately my degree is not doing me an ounce of good. And perhaps I do insult some people here. Or maybe I just ruffle feathers because I do not think like the majority here. Lastly, it's too early to see if the benefit plan is going to leave someone high and dry. But regardless of how crappy a plan it is, it's still a plan. And the catastrophic care plan that it is...has to provide some sort of safety net for you or your family.
Grunts! They are a bunch of truck driving, admin having, package and envelope handling POGs! I am former military also MW I just couldn't resist!

Last edited:

Serf

This member of the old guard has no problems with younger individuals with scary thoughts or credentials. I actually have a great sense of humor and a very open mind. I only have a problem with individuals making assumptions and blanket statements.
Fair enough. You get upset when I make blanket statements that you are middle class, and I could not possibly know your financial situation. The Government does the same thing. Except the expect votes and taxes. I will tell you for free!

Serf

You did say gross pay. So what is his take home pay after all expenses?
90$ a week fuel stipend. 1,500 gross. Married so after taxes a week 1,150. He only uses himself, no other drivers. Truck payment/insurance etc. 500$ ball park number. He said guys have sprinters for as low as $299 a month or box trucks like him for $449. It's the Northeast not Wyoming so insurance is a little higher. So all in all 35 hours on average for a 6-650$ a week take home. And mind you again, it's a bulk stop.

Goldilocks

Welcome aboard.

Uh oh, more sensible, younger individuals with scary thoughts and credentials to piss off the old guard.

MW, just curious, what branch of the Military did you serve? Surely not a Marine, they would have made you more of a humble person. They would have called you a Maggot and knocked you down to earth. You have come on this board with an arrogant attitude.
I have met many people with college degrees that have your same I am better than you attitude. When in fact, they have no common sense. You cant buy common sense. You are born with it. So please until you have walked in our shoes and grown some big boy Cojones with this company, do not talk down to us. You don't have a clue.

Serf

I would consider that a full time job considering he has to take of maintenance taxes the paperwork that FedEx requires etc but still not bad even cut in half. Mr Info what about multi van owners what socioeconomic class are they in?
The owner operators here that overnight freight are paid hourly. I see them at all my stops. They are nice guys, who relish being their own bosses. These grunts are able to earn a nice living (up to 50,000) by bringing freight to regions like Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Baltimore, Etc. They are hard working middle class guys. You, being the multi van owner, obviously make more. That's a good business. So much so that it's an option I may have to pursue. And an option that boosts you into the upper middle class!

Serf

MW, just curious, what branch of the Military did you serve? Surely not a Marine, they would have made you more of a humble person. They would have called you a Maggot and knocked you down to earth. You have come on this board with an arrogant attitude.
I have met many people with college degrees that have your same I am better than you attitude. When in fact, they have no common sense. You cant buy common sense. You are born with it. So please until you have walked in our shoes and grown some big boy Cojones with this company, do not talk down to us. You don't have a clue.
Were you a Marine? Or is that speculation too? The kind of speculation that I take crap for? My college degree does not earn me money. In fact I can think of several better uses for it. To include, cutting lines, fanning my face on a hot day, or coloring paper for a toddler. I have to walk in the shoes of an unskilled laborer and experience abuse longer to have larger testicles? It may seem I am talking down to you, but I assure you. That's only what it feels like because you know what I am saying is true and it hurts.

Serf

Well said Brown cow. I like that. The next step you have to take is infusing your opinions and rants with politics to really ruffle feathers.

bbsam

Staff member
Here you are again making assumptions. Just because someone lives in the same locality/region and earns the same pay does not mean their financial situation is the same. Maybe they have a stay at home wife, or a handicapped child. So many reasons why situations could be different.

Maybe the spouse earns twice what the FedEx employee earns. Or maybe the employee is a single parent. So while we may be grouped in the same socioeconomic category as far as FedEx goes, in the real world, we may have vast differences in our finances.

And while you may think you are being funny calling us bastards, I take offense to that as much as if someone called me a bitch. My parents happened to be married when myself and all my siblings were conceived.
I think we've creeped into an area where people just don't understand insurance. How many times have we heard Express drivers say, "I don't think we should be paid what UPS drivers make, but...". In this area, it seems everyone considers that to be the only acceptable compensation--100% company paid. That's not how most insurance works. That's why Obama got in trouble with the whole"if you like your insurance...". Alot of policies really were woefully inadequate and didn't meet the ACA minimums and gave people a false sense of security. Yes, Fred used the ACA as a way to jack his employees and pad the bottom line. Yes, it sucks compared to the deal UPS gets, but chances are good that it's fairly middle of the road as health insurance goes these days. Single payer can't get here soon enough.

Serf

I think we've creeped into an area where people just don't understand insurance. How many times have we heard Express drivers say, "I don't think we should be paid what UPS drivers make, but...". In this area, it seems everyone considers that to be the only acceptable compensation--100% company paid. That's not how most insurance works. That's why Obama got in trouble with the whole"if you like your insurance...". Alot of policies really were woefully inadequate and didn't meet the ACA minimums and gave people a false sense of security. Yes, Fred used the ACA as a way to jack his employees and pad the bottom line. Yes, it sucks compared to the deal UPS gets, but chances are good that it's fairly middle of the road as health insurance goes these days. Single payer can't get here soon enough.
Well put Sam. I was going to touch on this since I got crap for the whole Cadillac tax, and excise tax thing.. And how FedEx wants us to think they are doing the proactive thing by renovating the plan to save all of us. Truth is, I do believe alot of plans will go to a high deductible.

Goldilocks

Were you a Marine? Or is that speculation too? The kind of speculation that I take crap for? My college degree does not earn me money. In fact I can think of several better uses for it. To include, cutting lines, fanning my face on a hot day, or coloring paper for a toddler. I have to walk in the shoes of an unskilled laborer and experience abuse longer to have larger testicles? It may seem I am talking down to you, but I assure you. That's only what it feels like because you know what I am saying is true and it hurts.

As a matter of fact I am the daughter of a Marine who served for 24 years and was a DI on Paris Island in the 60's. And there you go again, "Unskilled Laborer" Whatever, you truly are still wet behind the ears. I suggest that you train for DG, International, and maybe FT courier, then you can come back on this site and tell us we are Unskilled.

Serf

As a matter of fact I am the daughter of a Marine who served for 24 years and was a DI on Paris Island in the 60's. And there you go again, "Unskilled Laborer" Whatever, you truly are still wet behind the ears. I suggest that you train for DG, International, and maybe FT courier, then you can come back on this site and tell us we are Unskilled.
Well respect to you and yours. I too am from a Military family. Long line dating back to the Civil War. I don't think I could upgrade to full time as I have too many other things going on, but I could go to DG school for no guarantee of extra money our hours.

MAKAVELI

Well put Sam. I was going to touch on this since I got crap for the whole Cadillac tax, and excise tax thing.. And how FedEx wants us to think they are doing the proactive thing by renovating the plan to save all of us. Truth is, I do believe alot of plans will go to a high deductible.
Nobody will take you seriously when you repeat the garbage that Memphis spews out. Instead of taking what they say as the gospel, research it. You will find out 99.99% of the time they are flat out lying or twisting the information to fit their agenda. FedEx is self insured and saves a boatload of cash by doing so. They pay the claims, not Blue Cross or Cigna. The combination of high deductibles and high premiums is what has everybody pissed off. They are essentially making $ off our health plan. Nobody expects to have UPS benefits, but a multi $ billion company can do a lot better than this crap.

MAKAVELI

that's dirt cheap. Go shop around for comparable plans and see just how expensive they are. You aren't getting a UPS deal, but you're doing far better than on your own.
Our health plan is supposed to be a benefit not comparable to what I can get on my own. And checked the exchange. I could get equal or better coverage on my own for what we pay.