Wages: Lets get to the facts

Serf

And you know this how? Miss Cleo, is that you?
Well, I cannot speak to cancer. As that would be pure speculation. But I can speak to an employee who had an accident and broke both legs with compound fractures, and fractured ribs. He said he's on the hook more for the several thousand it the ambulance ride cost him. Not the medical bill itself.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Well, I cannot speak to cancer. As that would be pure speculation. But I can speak to an employee who had an accident and broke both legs with compound fractures, and fractured ribs. He said he's on the hook more for the several thousand it the ambulance ride cost him. Not the medical bill itself.

What!? Are you admitting that you are speculating? Surely that can't be so. You came here challenging the intelligence of everyone here, and yet you resort to speculation? Hmmmm. You disappoint me.

Serf

What!? Are you admitting that you are speculating? Surely that can't be so. You came here challenging the intelligence of everyone here, and yet you resort to speculation? Hmmmm. You disappoint me.
Actually kind sir, I did not come here to challenge the intelligence of everyone here. That would be a major folly on my part. If you read carefully I said I could not comment accurately on the costs of cancer and the new plan. It's just to early in the game and I have no hard facts. So I did not want to speculate. However, I did offer a similar and serious medical situation (breaking one's legs so severely that one would need steel rods implanted.) Also do not fret. The average life span of a delivery driver or someone who is in the trucking industry is 16 years less than the national average. If your a career employee you will most likely die before any of this could financially cripple you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Actually kind sir, I did not come here to challenge the intelligence of everyone here. That would be a major folly on my part. If you read carefully I said I could not comment accurately on the costs of cancer and the new plan. It's just to early in the game and I have no hard facts. So I did not want to speculate. However, I did offer a similar and serious medical situation (breaking one's legs so severely that one would need steel rods implanted.) Also do not fret. The average life span of a delivery driver or someone who is in the trucking industry is 16 years less than the national average. If your a career employee you will most likely die before any of this could financially cripple you.

My point, Sir, is that you have no idea what the financial situation is of anyone on this forum. How would you even dare to presume what could or could not bankrupt anyone?

I should correct my previous statement. You may not have come here to challenge the intelligence of the members, but you do INSULT the intelligence of people here that you assume are less intelligent than you. You obviously are disdainful of career employees for some reason. I love when a rookie comes on here and thinks he knows it all just because he has a degree under his belt. Trust me, there are MANY senior employees at FedEx with degrees who chose FedEx a long time ago, over their field of study because FedEx was a great place to work. You really might want to consider knocking it down a notch or two.

Serf

My point, Sir, is that you have no idea what the financial situation is of anyone on this forum. How would you even dare to presume what could or could not bankrupt anyone?

I should correct my previous statement. You may not have come here to challenge the intelligence of the members, but you do INSULT the intelligence of people here that you assume are less intelligent than you. You obviously are disdainful of career employees for some reason. I love when a rookie comes on here and thinks he knows it all just because he has a degree under his belt. Trust me, there are MANY senior employees at FedEx with degrees who chose FedEx a long time ago, over their field of study because FedEx was a great place to work. You really might want to consider knocking it down a notch or two.
The financial situation of most people in this group who are career employees is similar as it relates to locality/region and time in company/age it is actually easier to presume than one would think. It's like the Military. Nobody is rich except for high ranking officers. And all of us frontline employees are all in the same pay grades so to speak. For example junior enlisted (ME) or employees with under 9 years or so. And you senior enlisted over a decade or so. Using a $14.00-25.00 pay scale everyone is grouped into a similar socioeconomic category regardless of overtime or not.
I do not hold anyone in disdain. On the contrary I love you bastards. Because in a way you all are grunts, and you'll continue to take it on the chin. Also, unfortunately my degree is not doing me an ounce of good. And perhaps I do insult some people here. Or maybe I just ruffle feathers because I do not think like the majority here. Lastly, it's too early to see if the benefit plan is going to leave someone high and dry. But regardless of how crappy a plan it is, it's still a plan. And the catastrophic care plan that it is...has to provide some sort of safety net for you or your family.

MAKAVELI

I can dig that.

FedEx is an excise tax in 2018 levied for superior insurance coverage. The new plan being rolled out in 2014 is in part an effort to avoid that excise tax. Deductibles went up 700-2 grand on average. Which is bull, but still better than other options. You might be financially crippled after a medical emergency like that, but you won't go bankrupt.
I'm sorry that you fell for this bs hook, line and sinker. For one I doubt our coverage before the crap we have now would've met the threshold for the excise tax. This is part of the brainwashing FedEx does and you fell for it. Secondly, even if it did, they had till 2018 to tweak the plan. This sudden and drastic change was to increase profit. Pure and simple. But the kool aid drinkers such as yourself believe it's because of Obamacare.
http://www.uhc.com/united_for_refor...ovisions/excise_tax_on_high_cost_coverage.htm

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The financial situation of most people in this group who are career employees is similar as it relates to locality/region and time in company/age it is actually easier to presume than one would think.

Here you are again making assumptions. Just because someone lives in the same locality/region and earns the same pay does not mean their financial situation is the same. Maybe they have a stay at home wife, or a handicapped child. So many reasons why situations could be different.

Maybe the spouse earns twice what the FedEx employee earns. Or maybe the employee is a single parent. So while we may be grouped in the same socioeconomic category as far as FedEx goes, in the real world, we may have vast differences in our finances.

And while you may think you are being funny calling us bastards, I take offense to that as much as if someone called me a bitch. My parents happened to be married when myself and all my siblings were conceived.

P

prodriver

The financial situation of most people in this group who are career employees is similar as it relates to locality/region and time in company/age it is actually easier to presume than one would think. It's like the Military. Nobody is rich except for high ranking officers. And all of us frontline employees are all in the same pay grades so to speak. For example junior enlisted (ME) or employees with under 9 years or so. And you senior enlisted over a decade or so. Using a $14.00-25.00 pay scale everyone is grouped into a similar socioeconomic category regardless of overtime or not.
I do not hold anyone in disdain. On the contrary I love you bastards. Because in a way you all are grunts, and you'll continue to take it on the chin. Also, unfortunately my degree is not doing me an ounce of good. And perhaps I do insult some people here. Or maybe I just ruffle feathers because I do not think like the majority here. Lastly, it's too early to see if the benefit plan is going to leave someone high and dry. But regardless of how crappy a plan it is, it's still a plan. And the catastrophic care plan that it is...has to provide some sort of safety net for you or your family.

Please tell me where I fall in this socioeconomic category since I'm a contractor I'll give you my years 15. You seem to have everyone else in a category NOT.

Serf

Please tell me where I fall in this socioeconomic category since I'm a contractor I'll give you my years 15. You seem to have everyone else in a category NOT.
Pardon me. I should have specified Express employees. Although, I do know a ground guy who has his own route at a nice little medical spot. He's into several things (real estate, stocks, fishing boats). But he did divulge his 1 route gross's between 14-1600 dollars a week. And he's 8 years in to my recollection. By those numbers alone. And the fact that he puts in less than 40 hours a week to earn that. I'd say he's doing pretty well. But still middle class. Maybe upper middle class. eh?

Serf

Here you are again making assumptions. Just because someone lives in the same locality/region and earns the same pay does not mean their financial situation is the same. Maybe they have a stay at home wife, or a handicapped child. So many reasons why situations could be different.

Maybe the spouse earns twice what the FedEx employee earns. Or maybe the employee is a single parent. So while we may be grouped in the same socioeconomic category as far as FedEx goes, in the real world, we may have vast differences in our finances.

And while you may think you are being funny calling us bastards, I take offense to that as much as if someone called me a bitch. My parents happened to be married when myself and all my siblings were conceived.
Winner, winner chicken dinner. Sorry operational needs. I was at my other job. Correct you are, the locality does not mean the situation is the same. Although it is somewhat relevant. But if they have a stay at home wife and are Express employees they are middle class at best, if they have a handicapped child they are middle class at best, (and God bless by the way). Many different scenarios but all leading to the same outcome. I guess what I am trying to hammer home is: The majority of Express employees outside very senior couriers and management and above are all middle class. Some, lower middle class. The list of random hardships do not matter.

In the shuttle driver klan I am in, one guy has a wife who is a psychologist. They do alright. He has his share of worries. Also a nice little family. He is 14 years in by the way. Still hustling in the middle class like us all. Single parent? I shouldn't speculate, but since the law says they are entitled to alimony, child support, tax breaks, etc. I will say still middle class. Sorry for the offensive statement Ma'am.

HeyNowBrownCow

Your poor planning is not my issue.
I jumped in at page 5, but why the hostility towards migrant worker? The ""bastards" comment obviously included himself in there... I read it as such. Why take things personally or as a dig on here?Migrant, I read your very long post about workers and really dug it.... which lead me here after seeing your name on the feed.I don't think MW is being rude, disrespectful nor insulting anyone's intelligence.But hey, I too am a newbie here with a college degree that's worthless and I DO feel like a bastard slinging boxes when I think about the time and money I wasted on college.... to end up getting yelled at by kids half my age with so little intelligence they can't even tell their superiors why the sensor is covered, running around like monkeys to "show us" how to fix it... when they don't understand you can't operate a mechanical switch like a video game.
We're all in the same boat. Okay, my dinghy is a bit smaller but it still gets me on the water. ;-)

P

prodriver

Pardon me. I should have specified Express employees. Although, I do know a ground guy who has his own route at a nice little medical spot. He's into several things (real estate, stocks, fishing boats). But he did divulge his 1 route gross's between 14-1600 dollars a week. And he's 8 years in to my recollection. By those numbers alone. And the fact that he puts in less than 40 hours a week to earn that. I'd say he's doing pretty well. But still middle class. Maybe upper middle class. eh?

I'd say those numbers are off, the years in for a contractor dont matter since we dont have pay progressions based on years of service. We used to get a yearly bonus for years of service but fedex did away with that.

STFXG

I'd say those numbers are off, the years in for a contractor dont matter since we dont have pay progressions based on years of service. We used to get a yearly bonus for years of service but fedex did away with that.
Why would you say those numbers are off?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Serf

Fair enough. Either way. Cut that in half, not bad for a part time owner/operator job.

Serf

But hey, I too am a newbie here with a college degree that's worthless and I DO feel like a bastard slinging boxes when I think about the time and money I wasted on college.

Welcome aboard.

Uh oh, more sensible, younger individuals with scary thoughts and credentials to piss off the old guard.

P

prodriver

Fair enough. Either way. Cut that in half, not bad for a part time owner/operator job.

I would consider that a full time job considering he has to take of maintenance taxes the paperwork that FedEx requires etc but still not bad even cut in half. Mr Info what about multi van owners what socioeconomic class are they in?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Welcome aboard.

Uh oh, more sensible, younger individuals with scary thoughts and credentials to piss off the old guard.

This member of the old guard has no problems with younger individuals with scary thoughts or credentials. I actually have a great sense of humor and a very open mind. I only have a problem with individuals making assumptions and blanket statements.

P

prodriver

Why would you say those numbers are off?

Sent using BrownCafe App

You and I both knows what routes typically pay but migrant worker seems to think he has everyones financial situation figured out so I'll let him tell me.