Wages: Lets get to the facts

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It's not about hatred, it's about truth. Most likely FedEx would lose it's RLA protection when it came out that they were forcing fulltimers to work long days with a huge split. Never heard of anyone trying that, no way it would fly with state labor boards. Just another R1a scheme to get people to quit before they got that royal reaming he was always talking about. There's a reason he left this board, when nothing came true he wouldn't be around to defend himself. FedEx has enough problems, lying about ones they don't have raises serious credibility issues.

Your cat fight with R1a is well-known. The RLA has nothing to do with the length of a workday either. R1a left because he had decided to put FedEx behind him and focus on his new career. I miss him, and think he was effing brilliant.

vantexan

Your cat fight with R1a is well-known. The RLA has nothing to do with the length of a workday either. R1a left because he had decided to put FedEx behind him and focus on his new career. I miss him, and think he was effing brilliant.
Yeah, cat fight. He viciously attacked anyone who disagreed with him about even a small part of what he was saying. And no, the RLA isn't about the length of the workday. But if FedEx came under fire for putting their employees in such a situation, do you not think every aspect of their business wouldn't be scrutinized? I don't know of any company doing such a thing, and if the RLA allowed them to force such schedules without fear of union reprisal even the Republicans would back away from supporting Fred if the public was outraged. But we'll never know because FedEx isn't stupid enough to risk it. Tell me again what has happened that R1a predicted?

Serf

How about a real wage progression, health benefits plan that we can actually afford to use, and a return of a defined benefits pension plan?

Real wage progression. Like.......UPS? or Like........guaranteed 3% a year as most hourlies get at companies? You can afford to get physicals, mammograms, colonoscopies, cavities filled, antibiotics, pain meds, etc. As for your pension. "Cue the blame Bush soundtrack."

MAKAVELI

Real wage progression. Like.......UPS? or Like........guaranteed 3% a year as most hourlies get at companies? You can afford to get physicals, mammograms, colonoscopies, cavities filled, antibiotics, pain meds, etc. As for your pension. "Cue the blame Bush soundtrack."
A real wage progression such as UPS, or any other place I have worked at over the years. The company makes $ billions every year. There is no excuse for the non existent wage progression at FedEx. Btw we got 2% last year. With increases in premiums every year, that 2% gets eaten up anyway. The so called health care plan is only good if you are healthy. If you or any family member gets seriously I'll or injured, that's when you will see how " affordable" it is. More than $400 a month for this crap plan is hwy robbery. Bush maybe the worst president in history, but how is he responsible for Fred taking away our pension? That's all on Fred. You obviously haven't been around long enough to have a clue as to how much Fred has screwed his frontline workers.

Serf

A real wage progression such as UPS, or any other place I have worked at over the years. The company makes $ billions every year. There is no excuse for the non existent wage progression at FedEx. Btw we got 2% last year. With increases in premiums every year, that 2% gets eaten up anyway. The so called health care plan is only good if you are healthy. If you or any family member gets seriously I'll or injured, that's when you will see how " affordable" it is. More than $400 a month for this crap plan is hwy robbery. Bush maybe the worst president in history, but how is he responsible for Fred taking away our pension? That's all on Fred. You obviously haven't been around long enough to have a clue as to how much Fred has screwed his frontline workers.
Affordable as in better alternative than Obamacare. And Affordable as in will keep you from going bankrupt. To skate penalties from an overly generous plan, employees are being asked to shoulder more costs. Again, thank you Obama. Well the Bush analogy is used for everything so I figured why not. However, the traditional pensions almost everywhere are becoming troublesome. That capped with the fact that the markets are sketchy, your tattered 401k plan was never supposed to be a sole source of retirement income. And Washington has yet to ensure Social Security will be around longer than 2034. We need more jobs to fund SS.
Also, would you agree that it would be beneficial to bring back the incentive based raise system, or would you be happy with a guaranteed 3% annually?

MAKAVELI

Affordable as in better alternative than Obamacare. And Affordable as in will keep you from going bankrupt. To skate penalties from an overly generous plan, employees are being asked to shoulder more costs. Again, thank you Obama. Well the Bush analogy is used for everything so I figured why not. However, the traditional pensions almost everywhere are becoming troublesome. That capped with the fact that the markets are sketchy, your tattered 401k plan was never supposed to be a sole source of retirement income. And Washington has yet to ensure Social Security will be around longer than 2034. We need more jobs to fund SS.
Also, would you agree that it would be beneficial to bring back the incentive based raise system, or would you be happy with a guaranteed 3% annually?
I would be happy with 3 percent every year after I have topped out. Which should be no more than 5 years. Reinstate a defined benefit pension plan, and I real health care plan that we can afford to use, while cutting our premiums at least by 50 percent. That would make me happy.

Last edited:

Serf

I would be happy with 3 percent every year after I have topped out. Which should be no more than 5 years. Reinstate a defined benefit pension plan, and I real health care plan that we can afford to use, while cutting our premiums at least by 50 percent. That would make me happy.
I think we agree on something here. For a company the size of FedEx, guaranteeing 2-3% annually should not be an issue. But, you are also suggesting a wage progression scale first, before the annual raise, yes? By my math, a traditional plan under the old method of calculation would have employees making anywhere from 800.00 (on the low end) to 1,900 (high end) monthly. In the big scheme of things, with inflation this is peanuts. I think I would prefer a guaranteed contribution to a IRA (roth or not) instead of the traditional money. The optimist in me hopes I can get that with Social Security. As far an the healthcare, we are off.

vantexan

I think we agree on something here. For a company the size of FedEx, guaranteeing 2-3% annually should not be an issue. But, you are also suggesting a wage progression scale first, before the annual raise, yes? By my math, a traditional plan under the old method of calculation would have employees making anywhere from 800.00 (on the low end) to 1,900 (high end) monthly. In the big scheme of things, with inflation this is peanuts. I think I would prefer a guaranteed contribution to a IRA (roth or not) instead of the traditional money. The optimist in me hopes I can get that with Social Security. As far an the healthcare, we are off.
Under the old plan a topped out employee who averaged $60k a year over his top 5 years would get $30k a year. With contributions to his 401k and Social Security he'd do ok in retirement. There are strategies to maximize income as well as lower personal expenses too. But with slow pay progression the mid-range employees aren't keeping up with inflation and aren't making enough to fund their 401k's well, unless they have a spouse making good money. We'll see people working much longer and Social Security will be the main source of their retirement income. If FedEx truly cared, and if true they can't afford the traditional pension, then at least they could offer a better match on the 401k and get people up to top out in a reasonable amount of time.

Serf

If FedEx truly cared, and if true they can't afford the traditional pension, then at least they could offer a better match on the 401k and get people up to top out in a reasonable amount of time.
I agree with that. I see some guys still humping at age 57-63. All with 17 plus years in. They do a serviceable job, but it's no secret they have lost a step. As far as the mid rangers go. They tell me: "If I hung it up today, Express would send me a check for 696.00 a month for life." Sarcastically of course. In which I reply: "I hear Kiev is nice."

But on a more serious note, yes. Making 55-60k a year as an old head, 25-30k sounds right.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Here's some facts for you:
I've been with X for 7 yrs. I make mid $18 an hr.
Yes, new guy off the street hired today makes about $1.50 an hr. less than me.
My screen name is for a reason, I used to get 7s on my reviews. I'm not kidding, I know you guys think it's impossible but, it's not.

I have an associates degree in science and was using it in my former profession.
Last night I was gathering up all my tax info. (and laughing at all the money I made in FDX class action lawsuits) and I happen to run across and old file.

Back in 2001, in my former profession, I had a pay raise from $21.xx an hr. to $23.xx. I never asked for a raise while at this company, they just gave them out as they saw necessary. Yes, this other company is in the same region I'm in now and have been for the past ~15 yrs.

dezguy

Here's some facts for you:
I've been with X for 7 yrs. I make mid $18 an hr.
Yes, new guy off the street hired today makes about $1.50 an hr. less than me.
My screen name is for a reason, I used to get 7s on my reviews. I'm not kidding, I know you guys think it's impossible but, it's not.

I have an associates degree in science and was using it in my former profession.
Last night I was gathering up all my tax info. (and laughing at all the money I made in FDX class action lawsuits) and I happen to run across and old file.

Back in 2001, in my former profession, I had a pay raise from $21.xx an hr. to $23.xx. I never asked for a raise while at this company, they just gave them out as they saw necessary. Yes, this other company is in the same region I'm in now and have been for the past ~15 yrs.

I've gotten 2 7's in my 10+ years. Not impossible but unlikely, especially now where managers are discouraged to give anything above a 6.5. I've never gotten anything lower than a 6.6 and have usually ended up with a 6.7 for the past 5 years, mainly because I take sick days.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Thank you, Mr. Officially Assigned To This Site By FedEx (MOATTSBF). Nobody has a crystal ball, and it's quite possible that Mr. Smith realized his precious RLA would be threatened if he did the P2/XS move to Ground. The roller trailers were there...and then they weren't. Caster decks were also installed at some Ground terminals, another indication that they were going to do it.

Maybe you should ask MT3 what they're going to go next time he's got you pressed up against the wall and letting his Happy hands roam.

You suck, Shill-Boy.

1) Make a prediction and swear it will happen.
2) Make excuses when it doesn't.
3) Get mad at anyone who calls you out on your lies.

59 Dano

Don't forget forcing FTer's to 35 hrs a week by making them work 12 hr days with a 5 hour split in the middle. He saw the secret internal documents detailing this. Was supposed to happen more than a year ago.

They ditched that in favor of splitting every FT route into 2 PT ones. I think Fred S himself called him and told him about that one.

59 Dano

I guess you and Dano are kindred spirits, eh? You are conveniently forgetting the massive bump Express has seen in Amazon volume. I have little doubt that big splits were in the works, but got set aside by changing circumstances. I guess you forget that they were actually having people take 3-4 hour splits for awhile. Increased volume and turnover put an end to that.

Dano is an expert knob polisher. Perhaps he can give you some tips. Stow your R1a hatred, and see things for what they are.

But you tell us these things are going to happen and they never do. We're losing faith in you.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Another industry competitor or totally different industry. For the sake of anonymity.

Completely different industry. But, anyone of us could have done this job if you had the vernacular. They would train you up all the way to top pay.

My point is, 14 yrs. ago I was making a lot more money and I would get a (roughly) annual raise just to keep up with inflation. If my company was charging customers more for the work we did, they knew they had to bump our pay a little.

Goldilocks

You are only talking about Preventive Health Care. What happens if doctors find a polyp or a lump or anything? With our current insurance, this could be devastating and leave us financially crippled.

Serf

They would train you up all the way to top pay.
I can dig that.

With our current insurance, this could be devastating and leave us financially crippled.
FedEx is an excise tax in 2018 levied for superior insurance coverage. The new plan being rolled out in 2014 is in part an effort to avoid that excise tax. Deductibles went up 700-2 grand on average. Which is bull, but still better than other options. You might be financially crippled after a medical emergency like that, but you won't go bankrupt.