What are the chances this contract passes?

TimeForChange

Is there an independent party watching over the vote counting? If not there should be..

There is both an independent company who checks the eligibility of mailed-in ballots, and who counts the votes. There are also members, not controlled by Hoffa, Inc., who will be observers. So the whole process is fair and square.

The following paragraph is part of the information contained on this webpage:

UPS and UPS Freight — FAQs: How the Contract Vote Works | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

Who counts the votes? The count will have an independent agent in charge, hired by the IBT. Due to past legal action, observers (members) not beholden to the Hoffa administration will be present. The unopened ballots will first be sorted by Local Union (there is a local union notation on the envelope), and the count will be then done separately for each local. The count will begin on or about June 20 for UPS Package.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Experts like "DAVE" have no clue what they are talking about.

LESS than 10% of the total membership in the country will cast a ballot. Of those, early predicitions show this proposal dies on its first attempt. Every LOCAL in the country, except maybe "DAVES" has a majority of members expressing a wish to VOTE NO on this proposal.

The Teamsters have NEVER had a complete voter turnout on a contract.

VOTE NO.

Peace

TOS

The contract will pass. The Teamsters will sell it, and most FTers will buy into it. Most are smart enough to recognize that that will be earning (by 2018) nearly $100K alongside no-cost benefits for menial work. Most won't care about the retirement benefits, since they'll be eligible, or close to being eligible, for Medicare by the time they retire. Unlike BC, most are realistic and not thinking "wahhhhh.... I earned less than $60K in 2001 but now I'm earning $100K.... wahhh my wage hasn't kept up with inflation." They know they're fortunate to be earning what they are.

The PTers? A large chunk isn't even eligible to vote (Right to be ORLY!) and much of the rest won't bother.

I will pass, by a wide margin.

RealPerson

The contract will pass. The Teamsters will sell it, and most FTers will buy into it. Most are smart enough to recognize that that will be earning (by 2018) nearly $100K alongside no-cost benefits for menial work. Most won't care about the retirement benefits, since they'll be eligible, or close to being eligible, for Medicare by the time they retire. Unlike BC, most are realistic and not thinking "wahhhhh.... I earned less than $60K in 2001 but now I'm earning $100K.... wahhh my wage hasn't kept up with inflation." They know they're fortunate to be earning what they are.

The PTers? A large chunk isn't even eligible to vote (Right to be ORLY!) and much of the rest won't bother.

I will pass, by a wide margin.

YEP....
This problem with most not being able to vote, is the High Turn over rate and long wait for benefits and long wait for FT positions.
FT driving in my building is Quick. 6 months to a year, so people are lucky I guess. Again lots of new drivers can not handle the stress, and long days...

This is why starting wage should be $14+ per hour. a Nice catchup raise from part time to full time, and progression stay at 3 years...
No Spit raises either
RECORD PROFITS IN A BAD ECONOMY! Are the profits going to double with all this money saved and economy getting better...

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
YEP....
This problem with most not being able to vote, is the High Turn over rate and long wait for benefits and long wait for FT positions.
FT driving in my building is Quick. 6 months to a year, so people are lucky I guess. Again lots of new drivers can not handle the stress, and long days...

This is why starting wage should be $14+ per hour. a Nice catchup raise from part time to full time, and progression stay at 3 years...
No Spit raises either
RECORD PROFITS IN A BAD ECONOMY! Are the profits going to double with all this money saved and economy getting better...

UPS is giving us billions in wages, benefits & productivity changes in this contract - it's not saving any money. Unquestionably, the pressures major shippers placed on UPS forced it to give us more than it desired. You have to remember that much of UPS's profit is driven by supply chain, logistics, international operations, etc. Additionally, shippers are increasingly placing pressure on UPS (and others) for lower cost, less profitable services. You're assuming that UPS will continue to hike its rates up by 6% or more every year, which may or may not be true. It's probable the company's hitting the wall on some aspects of its services, in terms of greater-than-inflation increases.

I'm voting "no" symbolically as I'm certain the contract will pass, but I'm upset with the continued growing imbalance between PT & FT.

No I voted before(20 years of service) it's just that I can't believe all the pessimism on this forum about how this contract will pass in a likely "under the table" deal.

It's not an "under the table" deal. If you're FT, it'd be in your best interests to pass this contract. More PT labor to subsidize a 100K wage for you in five years... imagine that, being among the top 5% of all wage earners in the country doing a job at least 25% of the population would be willing & able to do for your wage....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No I voted before(20 years of service) it's just that I can't believe all the pessimism on this forum about how this contract will pass in a likely "under the table" deal.

Same way 5 years ago.
​Always a lot of big, negative talk until their wife and life sets them straight.

Unfortunately,I think it'll pass. In my hub,everyone wants to complain,but they won't vote. A few people I have talked to don't even know what's in the contract. I get more enthusiasm from a brick wall.

ups hero

Unfortunately,I think it'll pass. In my hub,everyone wants to complain,but they won't vote. A few people I have talked to don't even know what's in the contract. I get more enthusiasm from a brick wall.
I honestly don't get how someone could be so lazy and not vote. My opinion if the majority of upsers vote , which is unlikely. The majority will vote no , but it will pass with flying colors. Call me what you want , but I feel if the union likes it : it will pass regardless what the members think. If the union doesn't like it ; it won't pass. Unfortunately the union approves.

Brown_Star

Methods Man

Sad but true! I was friggin shocked this morning talking to a few 20 plus year vets stated "our vote don't count this is the new ups"!!!!

Pissed me off!!

Im voting No!

UPS_Brown

How can anyone vote yes, when we don't even have the health care ironed out? Like ObamaCare, we can't pass this contract to see whats in it!!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Both our government and ups management and teamsters are 100% honest and reliable and would never ever try to get anything over on us general public........

stink219

It doesn't matter who casts what votes. All that matters is who is counting those votes, and because of that reason alone my guess is the contract will pass by a large margin. JMHO.
Have you ever been involved in a vote count? It's is a very intense process. To say that their will be "foul play" is irresponsible on your part.

This contract is differnent then some of the others in recent years. Most of the locals weren't really agree with the negations. Now IBT is saying the locals are endorsing this conract. The locals are push the members to vote yes on their supplements. But master, not so much at least in my local. I think it could be down to the wire. Has any one heard anything from their locals on this.