What can I do with my 401k when I quit?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Got a job with the state. Union contract, paid benefits like your beloved UPS, 15 sick days a year, 7-3 with overtime after 8 hours, pension, 2 weeks vacation after a year, and start making several dollars per hour more than a first year driver.
Good for you man. Us Drivers do make good money. But it's not the end all be all to having a good life. Even if you never make as much as we do, those hours are amazing. The crappiest part of this job to me is the lack of time I get to see my young daughters. Congrats!

Good for you man. Us Drivers do make good money. But it's not the end all be all to having a good life. Even if you never make as much as we do, those hours are amazing. The crappiest part of this job to me is the lack of time I get to see my young daughters. Congrats!
I worked those crappy hours and made that money so momma could have that time with the kids.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I worked those crappy hours and made that money so momma could have that time with the kids.
You can't seriously tell me you don't think about all the time away from them that you'll never get back hasn't gotten you down a little bit. Can you?

You can't seriously tell me you don't think about all the time away from them that you'll never get back hasn't gotten you down a little bit. Can you?
Yes i do think about it. Everything in life is a trade-off. I made my family and it's my responsibility to take care of them.

Would it be better for both parents to be working too lesser jobs?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Yes i do think about it. Everything in life is a trade-off. I made my family and it's my responsibility to take care of them.

Would it be better for both parents to be working too lesser jobs?
Totally agree Gumby. I switched careers and took this job solely to take care of my family as well.

It would be better for the kids yes, not for the bank account.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
And i got them through college with very little debt.
We are blessed and cursed at the same time.
Very respectable sir. Mine are still in grade school. I gotta long way to go before I have to deal with that. Although the college fund I guess is dealing with it. Hopefully I can survive

rod

Retired 22 years
Chances are a state job has about the same pay rate as UPS. They do ok in that department. My wife was a State worker all the time I was at UPS. It used to 'P" me off that I had to take a weeks vacation just to make sure I could get off for a 43 day fishing trip with the guy but she could take her vacation in as little as 15 minute increments. I ended up with 7 weeks paid vacation but even though she only got 4 when you factored in paid sick days, comp time and more holidays than UPS gets she actually had more "paid" time off than I did. Speaking of Govt. workers I know a guy who works for the City Parks dept (just a flunky laborer like the rest of us) and he makes $33.75 an hour. Hell--I make $20 an hour just riding around on a mower for the Township and $25 an hour working Recycle days about 8 times a year. .

Very respectable sir. Mine are still in grade school. I gotta long way to go before I have to deal with that. Although the college fund I guess is dealing with it. Hopefully I can survive
College is way more than you think. Just make the most out of this brief moments you have with your kids
They do remember it.

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years

The hell with college---send them to a trade school (if they aren't drafting kids again by then).

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
The hell with college---send them to a trade school (if they aren't drafting kids again by then).
By the time they're old enough for college you're probably right. Colleges don't have any prestige anymore. You can't even discuss different viewpoints anymore. Welding school it is