Whats happens if you cross the line and scab during a strike?

rod

Retired 22 years
Meredith's threat "to negotiate on the picket line" was no idle threat. In no small part due to UPSurge's pressure on the Teamsters, the union called a strike in the Central States that lasted two weeks, and a strike later in the summer on the East Coast that lasted 13 weeks. After the Teamsters ordered strikers back to work in the Central States, UPSurge led wildcats in several cities in the Midwest, including Cleveland.

I guess we were BOTH right.

542thruNthru

Meredith's threat "to negotiate on the picket line" was no idle threat. In no small part due to UPSurge's pressure on the Teamsters, the union called a strike in the Central States that lasted two weeks, and a strike later in the summer on the East Coast that lasted 13 weeks. After the Teamsters ordered strikers back to work in the Central States, UPSurge led wildcats in several cities in the Midwest, including Cleveland.

I guess we were BOTH right.
Central region was always a bunch of push overs I see.;)

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Because you'll get ratted out by management. There are friendships between drivers and sups, you know. A quick text from a sup to his driver buddy on the picket line, "Hey, you know who is in here working?"

Back in '97, at CHEMA, we had one man cross the line. He was treated like the POS he was when we went back to work. Even management hated him, no one respects a scab. They told him he could work thru Peak, then he had to leave. Hate him or not, you need everyone at Peak!
C6252B17-111A-4770-9B4A-31DD20E2B831.jpeg

Trailer monkey

it was 3 solid months....I was there.......this time we will lose much business to the competition.......ups will not have to call everybody back......ups may lose volume while the union will lose members thus benefits money........a strike is truly ugly and costly to most people as well as a failure in negotiations..........dont forget that most ups stock is held publicly with the voting sway is still with management.........its not like the old days when management had the stock and were on the hook.......most management are way diversified with ups stock at the most 5% of their holdings.....the a/b stocks really changed the negotiating tables........I am retired so have at it folks.....my monthly pension is etched in stone.....the union pensions are fluid and I see if their is a strike will be hard to sustain......
"my monthly pension is etched in stone" Sorry buddy, there is no such thing!

Thebrownblob

Central region was always a bunch of push overs I see.;)
Love you brother but you’re wrong, 😉
When it’s time to nut up central region steps up.

Love you brother but you’re wrong, 😉
When it’s time to nut up central region steps up.
That was 5 years ago...

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
During the '97 strike, a driver cut a hole in his pants pocket and dropped nails out as he walked back and forth. The independents they hired got the message when they started getting flat tires and UPS refused to reimburse them. They refused to haul our packages. On a side note, I saw the driver start limping and he went and sat down in a lawn chair. I asked him if he was ok. "I stepped on a frickin' nail." A good union brother. RIP Marvin.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
OP,
Sneak around back. You will see the fence with the hole in it, crawl through and work. You got that truck payment to worry about.

hole-wiremesh-260nw-336000644.jpg