Why is there such hatred between Ground and Express drivers here?

MAKAVELI

Actually, we're more like ground. No a/c, bulked out loads front to back, pick up strings that make the real money and a paid day that ends when the load says so. We're only like express for the 1st hour and a half, until 1030 am, delivering envelopes and tissue. Then we have to put our big boy pants on and get the real :censored2: done for another 10 hours, for real. THAT's why we make the big bucks.

our
You guys are funny. So why does ground get paid a 1/3 of your salary and no benneys ? Ummm I know. Because they have no union representation. That's why you make the big bucks. Capiche?

UPSGUY72

You guys are funny. So why does ground get paid a 1/3 of your salary and no benneys ? Ummm I know. Because they have no union representation. That's why you make the big bucks. Capiche?

Choices that we have to make in life Union or non-union jobs.... I'll stick with union jobs....

MAKAVELI

Choices that we have to make in life Union or non-union jobs.... I'll stick with union jobs....
And hindsight is always 20/20. But I sure do see a lot of bitching and complaining about the union that negotiated the " big bucks" for you guys. I guess in life their is always a trade off for the choices we make.

UPSGUY72

And hindsight is always 20/20. But I sure do see a lot of bitching and complaining about the union that negotiated the " big bucks" for you guys. I guess in life their is always a trade off for the choices we make.

Some people will never be happy even if they got everything they wanted. Also some people just bitch and complain to have something to do.

On the other hand you don't see to many of those bitching and complaining people going to work for Fed Ex do you.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
On the other hand you don't see to many of those bitching and complaining people going to work for Fed Ex do you.
We used to have a lot of UPSers come to FedEx. And at the time they were happy they did.
I don't think they're so happy about it anymore.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!
Although I generally viewed the HD division as Express views Ground, I changed my opinion after i covered HD a number of times in 2013.

I had my kid run packages during peak for another contractor and she worked both divisions and found Ground to be much more involved because of the "knowing what door, when are they receiving, and working in pickups with the day's emergencies, and still getting it all delivered."

hypo hanna

So what word would you use to describe the Ground driver that I and a clerk from the MBE watched back in to a support column, causing significant damage, in front of the MBE store, and then not make the appropriate phone calls afterward?

I was still in my pkg car, waiting for him to complete his back, so I had no way to tell him that he was too close.

The "new normal". For all fedex opco's.

CJinx

So what word would you use to describe the Ground driver that I and a clerk from the MBE watched back in to a support column, causing significant damage, in front of the MBE store, and then not make the appropriate phone calls afterward?
Unemployed, I hope. That's an instant disqualification if he left the scene of an accident without calling it in.

whenIgetthere

Different at Express now, must report the incident and wait for a manager to show up at the scene, before proceeding with your route. We had one courier who was an innocent victim of an accident a few months back, sat waiting for her manager for three hours (as she was told when she called the manager). All the others in her loop had to help her finish her deliveries because of it.

xFed

Different at Express now, must report the incident and wait for a manager to show up at the scene, before proceeding with your route. We had one courier who was an innocent victim of an accident a few months back, sat waiting for her manager for three hours (as she was told when she called the manager). All the others in her loop had to help her finish her deliveries because of it.
Are you sure that's an official express policy (as opposed to a local policy at your station)? And if so, how recently was that implemented?

As far as I have known (at least at my station), we call a manager and tell them what happened, and unless it's a serious accident they just say to fill out a report when we get in, and we'll get a mandatory check ride on our next shift.

HomeDelivery

Although I generally viewed the HD division as Express views Ground, I changed my opinion after i covered HD a number of times in 2013.

I had my kid run packages during peak for another contractor and she worked both divisions and found Ground to be much more involved because of the "knowing what door, when are they receiving, and working in pickups with the day's emergencies, and still getting it all delivered."

you mean what i've stated in one of my past threads were inaccurate?

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ground-vs-home-delivery.352843/

please update that thread i've link to add any discrepancy that i'm not aware of... for future reference ~ Thanks!:peaceful:

now you know why i said that HD is the easiest of all opcos on team purple.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not that I don't believe you, but how do you know and do you know if the business owner reported it?

This is one of my delivery/pickup stops. I was waiting to back up myself and was watching him back up. He didn't realize he had hit it and didn't seem too concerned about having hit it. According to the clerk the driver just drove away after making his pickup. The strip mall is owned by a local business so I will be curious as to what, if anything, happens.

The business owner did not report it.

fedupforsure

I do not think it is the drivers who hate each other. I think it is the principal that the ground division was bought through the blood and sweat of the express division and then thrown to the back of the bus like the red headed step child. If it wasn't for the express success for many years there would not be any other division.

TUT

I do not think it is the drivers who hate each other. I think it is the principal that the ground division was bought through the blood and sweat of the express division and then thrown to the back of the bus like the red headed step child. If it wasn't for the express success for many years there would not be any other division.

If it weren't for the iPhone there would be no more Mac's. What you write is a nice ideal, warm world. But business finds opportunities and milks them as long as they can and looks out for the next big thing. Fedex saw the long-term need to have ground and when 2008 happened, it changed everything immediately. No doubt it has cost workers, but there would have been a very good chance many wouldn't even have a job to contemplate leaving. We all would love to find our spots and then have things become static, we have wished this since we walked the planet.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If it weren't for the iPhone there would be no more Mac's. What you write is a nice ideal, warm world. But business finds opportunities and milks them as long as they can and looks out for the next big thing. Fedex saw the long-term need to have ground and when 2008 happened, it changed everything immediately. No doubt it has cost workers, but there would have been a very good chance many wouldn't even have a job to contemplate leaving. We all would love to find our spots and then have things become static, we have wished this since we walked the planet.

Bad analogy, because Apple has always been about offering quality products, not crap. Steve Jobs had an obsession for quality, not just profit. Ground is a crap product. If you worked for Express, you would know first-hand what has occurred since Ground came on the scene...a wholesale cannibalization of the Express opco and everything it ever stood for. The lies and rewrites of the Express "contract" are long and discouraging, and every hourly Express employee has been raped so Fred can have a special deal with the Ground scam.