Why would part timers stay in union?

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!
I agree. Vote No if you do not like the contract. I agree to voice your opinion.

What I don't agree with is hurting the Union as a whole by refusing to pay union dues and enjoying the benefits that others who do, get.
Why Vote "No" when it feels so right to say, "Yes" -Message brought to you by UPS Management Team

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
This idea that you have to be in the union to receive health insurance is wrong. And the Teamsters don’t pay for squat, Teamcare was a concession, how they rope people into putting their name on something the company pays for and they do that with pensions too so impressionable Teamsters think they are more relevant or needed and of course so the IBT can get their dirty hands on some money to control(or squander).
Are you kidding me ! You wouldn't have the benefits you enjoy without the Union. The IBT for all it's warts bargained for your benefits. Go somewhere else and get the benefits you enjoy for part time employment. Try being an at will employee and get the benefits you have now. See how life is out side the brown bubble .I get paid very well at my day job and have a $1500.00 deductible and would have to pay $500. per month for my wife if I took their benefits.
Right now if you are part time the company pays $300. per week for your benefits. Try bargaining for that on your own.

Time for change

Are you kidding me ! You wouldn't have the benefits you enjoy without the Union. The IBT for all it's warts bargained for your benefits. Go somewhere else and get the benefits you enjoy for part time employment. Try being an at will employee and get the benefits you have now. See how life is out side the brown bubble .I get paid very well at my day job and have a $1500.00 deductible and would have to pay $500. per month for my wife if I took their benefits.
Right now if you are part time the company pays $300. per week for your benefits. Try bargaining for that on your own.
Given the economy, I think you could bargain that on your own. My overall compensation package IS better at my other job. Part time benefits are good at UPS, doesn’t mean we can’t make the union more accountable on all aspects. I’ll happily pay dues when they negotiate for all members and there isn’t awful language in the contract. Like I said, there is a reason so many part timers are willing to leave the union vs full time is because part timers have way less to lose and can find a comparable (or better) job much easier. The vast majority of full timers are completely beholden to the union because they would be very lucky to make 40% of their income if fired. Basic stuff people, no need to scratch your head as to why part timers are leaving the union.

LagunaBrown

Let’s just start with 22.4.

A yes vote sells out the unborn.

There’s no reason at all to go for this - it’s like the IBT negotiated with their pants down, holding their ankles.
I know its hard for people to wrap their heads around but those spots are currently filled with two tier drivers. They already have part timers (cover drivers) doing the job 50 hours a week. Its been in the contract since 1997 and this new language is actually an upgrade to make them more money, full time positions with pension contributions, earn friend/T progression and and not have to go through a 30 day packet again. A lot of people don't know this

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
I know its hard for people to wrap their heads around but those spots are currently filled with two tier drivers. They already have part timers (cover drivers) doing the job 50 hours a week. Its been in the contract since 1997 and this new language is actually an upgrade to make them more money, full time positions with pension contributions, earn friend/T progression and and not have to go through a 30 day packet again. A lot of people don't know this

It is very misleading on your part to compare PT cover drivers to the new lower paid 22.4 driver.

Cover drivers will work as replacements for full time package drivers only for the purpose of covering vacations, holidays, jury duty, personal holidays, funeral leave, sick days and leaves of absence. The number of cover drivers will be determined by each center but may not exceed the number of persons off for reasons as described in this paragraph

22.34life

I think you’re very mistaken. How would they pass up seniority employees if everyone gets the dollar? Either way if they are already getting the dollar they don’t jump above and beyond seniority employees, and if they weren’t getting the dollar they don’t pass anyone. You can’t rationalize this language to me. Two people with EXACT same seniority date, doing EXACT same job will now have a chance at having a dollar an hour difference in pay. It’s wrong and needs fixing and the union should be ashamed of themselves for really poor language.
example ,if the skilled pay had stayed then if employee x is hired at $13 per hour and a senority employee y who goes to $13.20/hour,then employees x then goes sorter for $1/hour skilled pay then employee x now makes a higher rate of pay.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
Given the economy, I think you could bargain that on your own. My overall compensation package IS better at my other job. Part time benefits are good at UPS, doesn’t mean we can’t make the union more accountable on all aspects. I’ll happily pay dues when they negotiate for all members and there isn’t awful language in the contract. Like I said, there is a reason so many part timers are willing to leave the union vs full time is because part timers have way less to lose and can find a comparable (or better) job much easier. The vast majority of full timers are completely beholden to the union because they would be very lucky to make 40% of their income if fired. Basic stuff people, no need to scratch your head as to why part timers are leaving the union.

I'm curious what are some of these other PT jobs that are comparable.

I would love to start drawing my UPS pension and go get another job that has outstanding free health care and free retirement benefits I could start accumulating.

Time for change

I'm curious what are some of these other PT jobs that are comparable.

I would love to start drawing my UPS pension and go get another job that has outstanding free health care and free retirement benefits I could start accumulating.

Depends where you live, might have to work 40 hours. But many of us work 30 hours part time with UPS so wouldn’t be huge jump in hours. All kinds of places. I know I am chastised constantly on here. I provided for my children and also was an actual parent and was there for them after school and putting them to bed. I would have loved a 22.3 job, but even if I could pass DOT physical, there is no way I’d have been a driver as a single parent I’d have missed being a parent all together and not knowing whether I’m getting home at 5 or 10:30 wouldn’t work for my vision of what being a parent is. The Laguna, BUG, TonyQ types have no idea what it’s like being a single mother. They should be ashamed of themselves, but out of touch, fat, white Teamsters can’t really see past their own life situation. I’ve worked just as many hours as a driver but 6-7 days a week with set hours. Not exactly the easy life like the out of touch guys on here portray.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The Laguna, BUG, TonyQ types have no idea what it’s like being a single mother. They should be ashamed of themselves, but out of touch, fat, white Teamsters can’t really see past their own life situation.

Always with the insults.

You're losing all credibility, with every post you make.

This is (for the most part) an anonymous forum and making constant derogatory remarks

about people you don't know undermines any point you are trying to make.

Are we all supposed to feel bad, about you being a single mother ?

You're obligated to provide for and take care of your children.

It's part of life and being an adult.

Trying to lay the whole "white guilt" trip in every conversation shows an attempt of deflection.

It's your life.... deal with it.

With your education and other job (with more money and better benefits)

Why are you still hanging around UPS ?

-Bug-

542thruNthru

Always with the insults.

You're losing all credibility, with every post you make.

This is (for the most part) an anonymous forum and making constant derogatory remarks

about people you don't know undermines any point you are trying to make.

Are we all supposed to feel bad, about you being a single mother ?

You're obligated to provide for and take care of your children.

It's part of life and being an adult.

Trying to lay the whole "white guilt" trip in every conversation shows an attempt of deflection.

It's your life.... deal with it.

With your education and other job (with more money and better benefits)

Why are you still hanging around UPS ?

-Bug-

It's because her other part time job isn't better she just says it is so that her argument has validity.

If she told us that it's benefits were bad then she'd have a weaker argument. Instead she says it's better or just slightly worse than UPS benefits. Everyone knows it's BS.

Inthegame

I provided for my children and also was an actual parent and was there for them after school and putting them to bed.
Are you suggesting anyone working when their children were getting home from school or going to bed isn't an actual parent?
... and not knowing whether I’m getting home at 5 or 10:30 wouldn’t work for my vision of what being a parent is.
Not many are real pleased with that aspect of the job but it's the sacrifice one makes for the position. Maybe that's why FT's are paid what they are...
The Laguna, BUG, TonyQ types have no idea what it’s like being a single mother.
And you have no idea what it's like being someone who willingly takes the target off your back and puts it on theirs.
They should be ashamed of themselves, but out of touch, fat, white Teamsters can’t really see past their own life situation.
Never heard any of those named ever mention the race of a member they helped, yet you can't stop yourself from your racism.
You know the defining difference between you and them? They may not have lived your life, but they did your job, and you haven't done theirs (or ever will as you're solely about you). Now tell us again who's out of touch?
. I’ve worked just as many hours as a driver but 6-7 days a week with set hours. Not exactly the easy life like the out of touch guys on here portray.
I've yet to read a post where anyone portrays you've lived an easy life.

You need to can the attitude for your own well being.

Time for change

Are you suggesting anyone working when their children were getting home from school or going to bed isn't an actual parent?
Not many are real pleased with that aspect of the job but it's the sacrifice one makes for the position. Maybe that's why FT's are paid what they are...
And you have no idea what it's like being someone who willingly takes the target off your back and puts it on theirs.
Never heard any of those named ever mention the race of a member they helped, yet you can't stop yourself from your racism.
You know the defining difference between you and them? They may not have lived your life, but they did your job, and you haven't done theirs (or ever will as you're solely about you). Now tell us again who's out of touch?
I've yet to read a post where anyone portrays you've lived an easy life.

You need to can the attitude for your own well being.
No I’m saying when you have two parents, and the wife is home, it’s easier for the husband to have a job where he might get off at 5 or 1030. Pretty simple stuff and just pointing out how out of touch some are on here.

Time for change

It's because her other part time job isn't better she just says it is so that her argument has validity.

If she told us that it's benefits were bad then she'd have a weaker argument. Instead she says it's better or just slightly worse than UPS benefits. Everyone knows it's BS.
I said I get paid more at my other job and the UPS benefits are marginally better. I prefer the matching 401k but that’s beside the point. And I do need the second job but losing my ups job would not be a major hit like it would be to a driver. Simple stuff for most to comprehend.

BrownArmy

Where I am (Local 25) cover drivers are RPCD’s. We have TCD’s, but very few.

I realize UPS wants ‘flexibility’, but give an inch, lose a mile.

The entire contract isn’t bad, but 22.4 is unacceptable in my opinion.

I realize not everyone has as strong a local as we do, and for some the contract makes sense and they’ll vote yes, which is fine.

It’s a solid no from where I’m standing.

Get back to me when UPS is in dire financial straits.

542thruNthru

I said I get paid more at my other job and the UPS benefits are marginally better. I prefer the matching 401k but that’s beside the point. And I do need the second job but losing my ups job would not be a major hit like it would be to a driver. Simple stuff for most to comprehend.

I'll take my well funded pension over your 401k match. Since its not my money going into it.

Also we all know losing a fulltime 100k a year job is more costly then losing a PT 30k a year job.

Time for change

I'll take my well funded pension over your 401k match. Since its not my money going into it.

Also we all know losing a fulltime 100k a year job is more costly then losing a PT 30k a year job.
If individuals got the money they put into your pensions and invested you’d be way farther ahead. Obviously your pension out West is better but an individual could still make more investing that money on their own. And I still would never trust a pension, that being said if I had western states pension, I would almost certainly vote yes even with some of the glaring flaws in contract.