Why would part timers stay in union?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If individuals got the money they put into your pensions and invested you’d be way farther ahead
That's an easy statement to make in recent years, but is very hard to qualify without defining a specific period of time?

I'm guessing those who retired in 2007-08 might tell you a different story...

Time for change

That's an easy statement to make in recent years, but is very hard to qualify without defining a specific period of time?

Well they could have ridden i

Well certainly some lost their butt, but they could have ridden it out and have been way ahead and there was still value even at a loss. Some people lose ALL their pension.

Time for change

So if a part timer at like year 25 gets an education transfer to western states, how would pension be figured? Not that it’s a real possibility for me, but was curious on that hypothetical.

542thruNthru

So if a part timer at like year 25 gets an education transfer to western states, how would pension be figured? Not that it’s a real possibility for me, but was curious on that hypothetical.

I do not know but I think you can only transfer with in your region. If not then I would imagine you'd start at the bottom and slowly accumulate your pension. We don't have set amounts here like other areas.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Depends where you live, might have to work 40 hours. But many of us work 30 hours part time with UPS so wouldn’t be huge jump in hours. All kinds of places. I know I am chastised constantly on here. I provided for my children and also was an actual parent and was there for them after school and putting them to bed. I would have loved a 22.3 job, but even if I could pass DOT physical, there is no way I’d have been a driver as a single parent I’d have missed being a parent all together and not knowing whether I’m getting home at 5 or 10:30 wouldn’t work for my vision of what being a parent is. The Laguna, BUG, TonyQ types have no idea what it’s like being a single mother. They should be ashamed of themselves, but out of touch, fat, white Teamsters can’t really see past their own life situation. I’ve worked just as many hours as a driver but 6-7 days a week with set hours. Not exactly the easy life like the out of touch guys on here portray.
I can sympathize with your situation. The first time I met KH face to face I explained to him as a part time steward my job was to an advocate for people like you or having similar situations. His answer was honestly, I am paraphrasing here but the union "didn't care to much about part timers" That has always stuck with me.
That being said I believe to my core that you will not get a better deal for the combination of pay and benefits for a part time job anywhere and not thanks to UPS but your fellow Teamsters. I missed a lot of ball games and school events for my youngest child because of my second job. I regret that very much but benefits, food on the table and college tuition were my responsibility so I did what I had to. The pay and benefits @ UPS were way better than anything my wife could have received part time. The kids are grown and all have jobs and a good work ethic maybe because of their parents example. The reason I stay after 20 years is because healthcare for my wife would be an extra $500.00 a month when I gross that for 1 week Part time at UPS.

Time for change

I can sympathize with your situation. The first time I met KH face to face I explained to him as a part time steward my job was to an advocate for people like you or having similar situations. His answer was honestly, I am paraphrasing here but the union "didn't care to much about part timers" That has always stuck with me.
That being said I believe to my core that you will not get a better deal for the combination of pay and benefits for a part time job anywhere and not thanks to UPS but your fellow Teamsters. I missed a lot of ball games and school events for my youngest child because of my second job. I regret that very much but benefits, food on the table and college tuition were my responsibility so I did what I had to. The pay and benefits @ UPS were way better than anything my wife could have received part time. The kids are grown and all have jobs and a good work ethic maybe because of their parents example. The reason I stay after 20 years is because healthcare for my wife would be an extra $500.00 a month when I gross that for 1 week Part time at UPS.
KH says that, but I get chastised for considering joining the thousands of other fed up part timers who have left the union. That’s exactly why some have and I’m still considering. Apparently they don’t like our dues either.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
KH says that, but I get chastised for considering joining the thousands of other fed up part timers who have left the union. That’s exactly why some have and I’m still considering. Apparently they don’t like our dues either.
Look at it this way: 2 and 1/2 your hourly rate (union dues) mine are $65.00 per month are worth the $300.00 per week the company puts in for your health benefits. With a requirement of 1 punch per week no less !
I find it hard to believe there are thousands of fed up part timers when most will run you over at the door when you ask them to stay and demand their guarantee.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The first time I met KH face to face I explained to him as a part time steward my job was to an advocate for people like you or having similar situations. His answer was honestly, I am paraphrasing here but the union "didn't care to much about part timers" That has always stuck with me.

Without knowing the context of the statement (and paraphrasing)....

It's not a valid summation.

KH says that, but I get chastised for considering joining the thousands of other fed up part timers who have left the union.

You keep saying "fed up" part-timers are leaving the Union.

Doesn't that "beg the question" ?

If you don't like working part-time @ UPS.... Why stick around ?

-Bug-

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"

-Bug-
Hey Bug, it was the election to the previous one and the man said "we do not care about part timers" I was one on one with the man (KH) and that is exactly what he said. I still voted for him in the last election but not JH.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They don't stick around.

....it's a big problem for UPS, haven't you heard???

~Bbbl~™

And UPS, thinks they can fulfill the ranks of 22.4 positions from part-timers ?

Wishful thinking....

Making a "mountain out of a mole hill".

Look at the pool of employees. Kind of slim pickings.

-Bug-

Time for change

-Bug-

I don’t hate my job and with 14 years it’s tough to beat. Doesn’t mean the union is representing us well, means I have 14 years. Not going anywhere, just debating on paying dues. My local recommending a no vote is potentially making me reconsider if contract passes.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
That's awesome
We were in Philly for a photo op with other teamsters for the campaign. Our pics are on posters and mailings at the time . It was all staged and timed with just a small mention of the current issues. Because it was just a stop in the tour and I wanted to talk for a few minutes about real things maybe he was just blowing me off. After all who is just one part time steward ?......After all that I still believe KH had our (Teamsters)best interest at heart. But make no mistake they are all politicians.