Why would part timers stay in union?

Time for change

Unfortunately for me, I believe you are correct. The more I look at the contract and the numbers, the more clear it gets.

I just noticed the new friend.T. driver raises which are significantly higher than ours! 1. 70 cents vs. $2.25 2. 75 cents vs. $3.50 3. 80 cents vs. $3.00 4. 90 cents vs. $3.75 5. $1 vs. jump to Top Pay

UPS can afford to bump drivers up $2-3 chunks each year and the starting P.T. wage 30% or more but can't afford to give senior P.T. even $1 until the last year and zero catch up raises?

It only takes drivers 5 years to make appx. double the starting pay. A P.T. 10 year employee WITH the sort dollar is not even 50% over starting pay anymore!

The numbers don't lie, it's obvious the union and UPS value the full-timers MUCH more than the part-timers (except during Peak of course). Either we can get in line to drive, quit and get replaced with someone making starting pay, or keep getting our meager raises and deal with it.

Like FT drivers we are expected to stay until all work is done regardless of our day job or school schedule. Just like FT drivers we are expected to put UPS first! Yet the pay is substantially less.

Pretty depressing honestly :-( But then again....we're still better off than Fed Ex employees!

Yup part time is not taken seriously and most can get a job elsewhere that is comparable. That’s why we are leaving the union and more are to follow if this contract passes. Cue the Bullies...

PT was always meant to be a stepping stone to FT. People were not meant to be PT for 10, 15, 20 years. That's why they created 22.3 jobs.
PT was never meant to be a stepping stone to FT. If you wanted a FT delivering job you applied for a FT delivery driving job. PT was to help the company with jobs that only worked 3 or so hours a sort and then 5 or 6 hours until the next sort. The company and Union agreed the PT jobs would pay FT wages and benefits to protect the FT Union members jobs. The Union collected FT Union dues from all PT union members and tripled their monthly income.

542thruNthru

PT was never meant to be a stepping stone to FT. If you wanted a FT delivering job you applied for a FT delivery driving job. PT was to help the company with jobs that only worked 3 or so hours a sort and then 5 or 6 hours until the next sort. The company and Union agreed the PT jobs would pay FT wages and benefits to protect the FT Union members jobs. The Union collected FT Union dues from all PT union members and tripled their monthly income.

Yes when you started. Things have changed.

noazrk

Union Steward
Right again! Someone else on here posted the P.T. contract wages from 2002-2007, sadly they were higher than what is proposed for now....over 15 years later! I came in 2007, I do feel blessed that I was hired just a few months before the contract so I got union raises and benefits swiftly. IF the deal passes, at least we part-timers get the $1/year pension increase too and even with significantly rising healthcare costs we still get it free for another 5 years. I'm pretty sure UPS would rather give us higher pension money than raises for two reasons. That way UPS pays a lower payroll tax (as one of my co-workers pointed out) and it keeps a carrot dangled in front of us to stick around even for lower money.

One of our local leaders suspects the contract is getting voted down and that there is already another better proposal ready to go. We'll see!

BrownRecycler

Well. Someone like the part time steward should tell them that if they don’t pay dues they won’t get the health insurance which is call teamsters select / blue cross teamsters plan . Cuz majority of part timers if you ask are only there for the benefits

If they are young, the chances are that they don't see the point of health insurance. They never had health problem and one that finally understand either come too late or have to seek it. Lot of people see their doctor very late.

Time for change

If they are young, the chances are that they don't see the point of health insurance. They never had health problem and one that finally understand either come too late or have to seek it. Lot of people see their doctor very late.

This idea that you have to be in the union to receive health insurance is wrong. And the Teamsters don’t pay for squat, Teamcare was a concession, how they rope people into putting their name on something the company pays for and they do that with pensions too so impressionable Teamsters think they are more relevant or needed and of course so the IBT can get their dirty hands on some money to control(or squander).

BrownRecycler

This idea that you have to be in the union to receive health insurance is wrong. And the Teamsters don’t pay for squat, Teamcare was a concession, how they rope people into putting their name on something the company pays for and they do that with pensions too so impressionable Teamsters think they are more relevant or needed and of course so the IBT can get their dirty hands on some money to control(or squander).

Union is important. So, backing out of the union is not a job security option.

LagunaBrown

Yup part time is not taken seriously and most can get a job elsewhere that is comparable. That’s why we are leaving the union and more are to follow if this contract passes. Cue the Bullies...
Uh no. It’s not comparable wake up and tell me one part time job that is Non Union and offers better. You are Just an anti Union scab that is telling people not to pay dues. @Time for change maybe it’s time for you to quit if you don’t like it.

- $15.00 an hour
- $70,000 paid by UPS to pension if you work 1300 hours a year for the 5 years of contract
- $228.00 a week paid by UPS for healthcare
- Can retire at Peer 80 (years of service plus age equals 80)
- Unlimited cap on retiree healthcare.

Time for change

Uh no. It’s not comparable wake up and tell me one part time job that is Non Union and offers better. You are Just an anti Union scab that is telling people not to pay dues. @Time for change maybe it’s time for you to quit if you don’t like it.

- $15.00 an hour
- $70,000 paid by UPS to pension if you work 1300 hours a year for the 5 years of contract
- $228.00 a week paid by UPS for healthcare
- Can retire at Peer 80 (years of service plus age equals 80)
- Unlimited cap on retiree healthcare.

No not likely I quit my job here, will see how this contract turns out and if our voices aren’t heard then I’ll be leaving something. And although I do get 1300 hours a year, most part timers don’t so I hope that is a wrong number. And substantial bump in starting wage doesn’t do most of the existing part timers that were hired at 8.50 much good. The calling everyone skilled, but only paying some the dollar...yup will get my catch up raise one way or another. Line in the sand, if you don’t like it....well I’ll still be working here and you’ll just have to deal with it.

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

No not likely I quit my job here, will see how this contract turns out and if our voices aren’t heard then I’ll be leaving something. And although I do get 1300 hours a year, most part timers don’t so I hope that is a wrong number. And substantial bump in starting wage doesn’t do most of the existing part timers that were hired at 8.50 much good. The calling everyone skilled, but only paying some the dollar...yup will get my catch up raise one way or another. Line in the sand, if you don’t like it....well I’ll still be working here and you’ll just have to deal with it.
Ok so you can’t get anything comparable to the superior benefits negotiated by the Teamsters’s so your staying with company but your complaining about the union and want to stop paying dues. You are the typical hypocrite on the FB vote no page. Unbelievable. Do you realize the complete nonsense you are posting in this thread. The problem is not Union leadership the problem is spoiled brats like you that cry on social media and create an altered reality.

Time for change

Ok so you can’t get anything comparable to the superior benefits negotiated by the Teamsters’s so your staying with company but your complaining about the union and want to stop paying dues. You are the typical hypocrite on the FB vote no page. Unbelievable. Do you realize the complete nonsense you are posting in this thread. The problem is not Union leadership the problem is spoiled brats like you that cry on social media and create an altered reality.
It’s about years of service. Most places I could do just as well at with 14 years of service and I make almost 5 dollars more an hour at my other job. A driver on the other hand is completely beholden to the union as after 4 years very few places could come close. It’s pretty basic stuff why more part timers are leaving than full timers. You are more dependent on them than we are. It will begin to hurt eventually that the IBT neglected us. Won’t change your mind and you won’t change mine. Time for me to look out for myself like many drivers have been doing for all these contracts. See ya, best of luck

Last edited:

LagunaBrown

It’s about years of service. Most places I could do just as well at with 14 years of service and I make almost 5 dollars more an hour at my other job. A driver on the other hand is completely beholden to the union as after 4 years very few places could come close. It’s pretty basic stuff why more part timers are leaving than full timers. You are more dependent on them than we are. It will begin to hurt eventually that the IBT neglected us. Won’t change your mind and you won’t change mine. Time for me to look out for myself like many drivers have been doing for all these contracts. See ya, best of luck
Add up your part time pension and healthcare contributions for those 14 years genius. Your a complete trainwreck

Last edited:

Time for change

Add up your part time pension and healthcare contributions for those 14 years genius. Your a complete trainwreck
If you’re relying on a pension, you’re the “genius”, my matching 401k at my other job is much safer and will provide more financial security. Health is marginally better here, and I use it, but would not be a huge hit to use mine from other job. Cool thing is, I don’t have to lol!

LagunaBrown

If you’re relying on a pension, you’re the “genius”, my matching 401k at my other job is much safer and will provide more financial security. Health is marginally better here, and I use it, but would not be a huge hit to use mine from other job. Cool thing is, I don’t have to lol!

Here is our pension analysis versus a 401k. Not that your terrible advise isn’t absolutely riveting but I trust an actual economist a tad more.

http://www.wctpension.org/downloads/documents/401k_vs_WCTPT_Ten_Year_Analysis.pdf

Time for change

Here is our pension analysis versus a 401k. Not that your terrible advise isn’t absolutely riveting but I trust an actual economist a tad more.

http://www.wctpension.org/downloads/documents/401k_vs_WCTPT_Ten_Year_Analysis.pdf
Tell that to someone who lost their pension! Companies and unions are fragile. If you feel safe with it, then great. I trust my 401k(s) more than a pension and social security. You can trust the union for everything because that’s what you do, but I’m more confident in controlling my own retirement savings and investments.