Will the trickle down economics actually work?

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
2033 I hear what your saying but it doesn't paint the entire picture. Was 35% in and of itself high? YES! But you have to look at the "effective" tax rate. After all the loopholes and carve outs (99% of which are still in place-my assumption here as I have not read any of the Tax Cuts and Jobs bill) US corps were only paying 18% with many corps paying close to 0%. Why do you think Trump has not released his taxes?

bbsam

Staff member
Don't just take my word for it please! Go get more information from...oh say; CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, BBC TAKE YOUR @#$%ING PICK!

Sheeple like you are what has gone wrong with this country. Idiots who can not think for yourselves and must be told what to think by FAUX entertainment service.
Those are all "lame street media" outlets.

I recommend when dealing with these cases, source material that will be harder for them to simply ignore as being "leftist".

Like...

The Great Kansas Tax Cut Experiment Crashes And Burns

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
CBO_Infographic_2016.png

corporate taxes are :censored2:-all in the scheme of things

honestly i think corporate taxes should be at 0%, as they only drive work overseas or pass the costs down to the consumers anyways

all taxes these days should be income taxes, at a highly progressive rate; everything else is a big meh

Benben

Tax breaks for the poor don't do anything, since most don't pay any federal income tax anyway, and many qualify for tax credits, and that money comes from somewhere.

Careful, too broad of a brush stroke! Everyone and everything seems to qualify for some tax credit or some kind! Even those who don't, "pay any federal income tax anyway," still pay FICA and Medicare taxes.

The main thing that needs to change is taxing small businesses/self employed at personal income tax rates. Many don't actually bring in enough revenue to pay themselves a decent salary, especially when starting up, let alone make a profit. A lot of the needs our country has can be best met by small businesses, rather than large corporations, but the tax code, among other challenges, makes it nearly impossible to get the ball rolling.

Again, I hear what you are saying and it was exactly what was said, no it was SHOUTED, in Kansas when the grand experiment began. This national bill mirrores Kansas' in that the targeted cuts went to "corporations." Now what we learned in Kansas is this, Corporations included lawyers, 85% of the state lawmakers, doctors, LOBBYISTS, Real Estate agents and "moguls", Koch Industries and all of it's subsidiaries, even Bill Self (KU basketball coach) accountants, pharma reps, ect, ect, ect. Basically everyone who does not receive a W-2! And, like it or not, that is typically the top 1%

If they wanted to help, "get the ball rolling" then target the bill to the first $50K or so. Or drop it to 21% AND close all the loopholes and carve-outs. But they didn't do either.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
2033 I hear what your saying but it doesn't paint the entire picture. Was 35% in and of itself high? YES! But you have to look at the "effective" tax rate. After all the loopholes and carve outs (99% of which are still in place-my assumption here as I have not read any of the Tax Cuts and Jobs bill) US corps were only paying 18% with many corps paying close to 0%. Why do you think Trump has not released his taxes?

It's not simply a tax issue. It's a free society issue. Current corporate structure and laws have allowed the ultra wealthy to turn a capitalist republic into a quasi feudal serfdom.

Any attempt at restructuring the tax code without addressing the upward funnels of wealth that are corporations is mostly a red herring to distract us from the real problem. Too much wealth in the hands of too few people stunts economic activity.

We limit the amount of money professional atheletes make, and no one seems to have a problem with that because it levels the field for all teams to be able to compete. I don't see why we can't fix the laws so that the wealthy can't take advantage of the working class with such reckless abandon.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Careful, too broad of a brush stroke! Everyone and everything seems to qualify for some tax credit or some kind! Even those who don't, "pay any federal income tax anyway," still pay FICA and Medicare taxes.

Again, I hear what you are saying and it was exactly what was said, no it was SHOUTED, in Kansas when the grand experiment began. This national bill mirrores Kansas' in that the targeted cuts went to "corporations." Now what we learned in Kansas is this, Corporations included lawyers, 85% of the state lawmakers, doctors, LOBBYISTS, Real Estate agents and "moguls", Koch Industries and all of it's subsidiaries, even Bill Self (KU basketball coach) accountants, pharma reps, ect, ect, ect. Basically everyone who does not receive a W-2! And, like it or not, that is typically the top 1%

If they wanted to help, "get the ball rolling" then target the bill to the first $50K or so. Or drop it to 21% AND close all the loopholes and carve-outs. But they didn't do either.

I don't think we exactly disagree. I'm more of a "less taxes for everyone" guy. But I understand that means government spending has to decrease with taxes, or you end up with debt. And giving tax breaks to corporations without putting protections in place to ensure the extra money goes where it should is the same as handing the wealthy a blank check that they will cash at the expense of the workers.

We limit the amount of money professional atheletes make, and no one seems to have a problem with that because it levels the field for all teams to be able to compete. I don't see why we can't fix the laws so that the wealthy can't take advantage of the working class with such reckless abandon.
Who limits athletes salaries????

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It's not simply a tax issue. It's a free society issue. Current corporate structure and laws have allowed the ultra wealthy to turn a capitalist republic into a quasi feudal serfdom.

Any attempt at restructuring the tax code without addressing the upward funnels of wealth that are corporations is mostly a red herring to distract us from the real problem. Too much wealth in the hands of too few people stunts economic activity.

There is no talking common sense with this guy. He is brain washed. He will preach the crap over and over. He is wrong. Cause all he can do is attack all who disagreed with him. First sign of a dope

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Who limits athletes salaries????

The respective commissioners of each sport, I guess. I thought the commissions were established by congress, but I can't find any confirmation of such. So, pretty much the owners of all the teams govern themselves and establish a salary cap. There are league minimums, so, even though any one athlete could potentially make significantly more than the average player, there is an absolute limit any one player can make, and any team can compensate their players. That's my understanding. Anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me.

Also, apparently some people don't think the salary cap should exist, but I think their opposition to it is purely theoretical.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The respective commissioners of each sport, I guess. I thought the commissions were established by congress, but I can't find any confirmation of such. So, pretty much the owners of all the teams govern themselves and establish a salary cap. There are league minimums, so, even though any one athlete could potentially make significantly more than the average player, there is an absolute limit any one player can make, and any team can compensate their players. That's my understanding. Anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me.

Also, apparently some people don't think the salary cap should exist, but I think their opposition to it is purely theoretical.

This is not necessarily true------yes, there is a salary cap, but teams who voluntarily choose to exceed that cap are forced to pay a luxury tax to their respective league on the amount over the cap.

Benben

There is no talking common sense with this guy. He is brain washed. He will preach the crap over and over. He is wrong. Cause all he can do is attack all who disagreed with him. First sign of a dope

I will listen to you just as soon as you bring some, ANY, facts to the discussion! All you have done thus far is regurgitate crap you have heard the FAUX news entertainment mouthpieces cry about. You do realize that right? You have made 6 posts in this thread and not one of them had a fact within it. You tried to post a fact in 1 about, "no use since Reagan" and I had to correct you about that lie!

There is a problem 3 done 3 to go. You and many, many people in this country can not tell the difference between a fact and an opinion you all got from Faux or the pill popper Rush. This problem is compounded when our society refuses to call out a lie as being a lie!

Until we, as adults, start demanding those in power act like adults and hold them to a higher standard I do not think we will get anywhere!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
I will listen to you just as soon as you bring some, ANY, facts to the discussion! All you have done thus far is regurgitate crap you have heard the FAUX news entertainment mouthpieces cry about. You do realize that right? You have made 6 posts in this thread and not one of them had a fact within it. You tried to post a fact in 1 about, "no use since Reagan" and I had to correct you about that lie!

There is a problem 3 done 3 to go. You and many, many people in this country can not tell the difference between a fact and an opinion you all got from Faux or the pill popper Rush. This problem is compounded when our society refuses to call out a lie as being a lie!

Until we, as adults, start demanding those in power act like adults and hold them to a higher standard I do not think we will get anywhere!
here is something you are already wrong, the effective tax rate, although some do pay little but here is the list
Actual Tax Rate Paid to U.S. Government - The Complete List - NerdWallet

Jkloc420

and gdp growth in the 80's was 3.5 percent with supply side economics, while contending with high inflation, 2 recessions and the cold war

And yet, all you have done is state your opinion.

Jkloc420

and on top of the tax cuts worked under jfk

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny

After the new yr. You will see who you have been listening to and following like a little sheep. Will make you realize your snowflake self has been lied to for yrs. Time is coming for you to be WOKE.

Benben

here is something you are already wrong, the effective tax rate, although some do pay little but here is the list
Actual Tax Rate Paid to U.S. Government - The Complete List - NerdWallet

You don't see how this page means absolutely nothing? This is THE PROBLEM! This is THE PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!!!!

I hit multi quote and was going to address each post but this deserves it's own address. This page lists a bunch of numbers with no, I REPEAT NO CRITERIA to what those numbers actually represent and gives no reference to who's arse the numbers were pulled out of!! You have got to start thinking for yourself! My god, this author can't even be bothered to list the year or time frame in which she is trying to lie about! But then she couldn't could she? As soon as she does people with 1/4 of a brain will call her out on her crap! Kinda of like me telling you as a UPS driver I make over a million dollars and I am under paid! prove me wrong sucker!

This is what we are seeing in today's "news" programs. "Faux news" channel masquerades as factual news when almost it's entire daily 24 hour programming is actually entertainment and opinion "shows." Hannity, O'brian, Carlson et al. are not reporting news. They are talking heads giving their OPINIONS on entertainment programs. Rush pillhead does the same thing. They will state that something happened then spin it using inflammatory words and phrases. Dog Whistle politics! They will toss out meaningless numbers and irrelevant points disguised as "facts" to try and make their arguments and that their points appear valid. People who refuse to engage their brains just eat that crap up. Then when the sheeple get called out on it they run to the internet, google search a word or a phrase then pick 1 hit out of 10 pages and say, "see I am right you are wrong." It is the old gospel, since it is on the internet it must be the truth right?!?!

Hey Jkloc420, With your "fact" reference how do you think United States Steel Corp manages to always pay a US tax rate of 548% and stay in business? You do understand if a company pays out over 100% of what they make year in and year out they go bankrupt right? Kind of like what our president has done numerous times. Use your head friend, please for your own sake and for your family's sake also!