Pullman Brown

Our local BA says UPS not only wants the 7 day schedule but is pushing to create a totally flexible schedule in which week to week, you will be scheduled to work any given 5 days. Maybe we'd get the schedule a week or two in advance but we'd have the lifestyle of a retail worker. If you have an important weekend event, you could request weeks in advance and hope for the best. 👎

By the way, he fully expects we're going on strike saying UPS is demanding concessions across the board.

This is ridiculous. They better not even bring this to a vote. It will never pass.

JL 0513

Apparently, UPS sounds completely tone deaf in the negotiations as if the word "strike" hasn't been uttered millions of times this past year and as if no member is still mad over the last contract. Hopefully reality sets in soon.

Apparently, UPS sounds completely tone deaf in the negotiations as if the word "strike" hasn't been uttered millions of times this past year and as if no member is still mad over the last contract. Hopefully reality sets in soon.
You cannot blame UPS for this current contract

Bobby awesome dude I do have some issues on how we was treated during the pandemic

PT Car Washer

Our local BA says UPS not only wants the 7 day schedule but is pushing to create a totally flexible schedule in which week to week, you will be scheduled to work any given 5 days. Maybe we'd get the schedule a week or two in advance but we'd have the lifestyle of a retail worker. If you have an important weekend event, you could request weeks in advance and hope for the best. 👎

By the way, he fully expects we're going on strike saying UPS is demanding concessions across the board.
Going to be a lot of retirements this Fall if a strike last that long.

542thruNthru

They wanted the same thing last contract also. No way we ever agree to it.

noril

I expect every sup to have no forced sixth punch language.
This raises a question in my mind...in general, what issues are covered by the NMA and what goes in the supplementals? If every supplemental has no forced sixth punch, why not just put that in the national?

AKCoverMan

Yeah but that’s the way it starts. We ask for the Sun and the Moon with every other Friday off and a free puppy in our proposal. Oh, and a turkey. Definitely a turkey. 🤣

Meanwhile their proposal brings back leg irons and bull whips. That was first round. Methinks the logjam is starting to break up…slowly. Ideally the closer we get to July 31 the more that trend will continue.

Sean has been very clear: no contract extensions this time around.

Thebrownblob

Yeah but that’s the way it starts. We ask for the Sun and the Moon with every other Friday off and a free puppy in our proposal. Oh, and a turkey. Definitely a turkey. 🤣

Meanwhile their proposal brings back leg irons and bull whips. That was first round. Methinks the logjam is starting to break up…slowly. Ideally the closer we get to July 31 the more that trend will continue.

Sean has been very clear: no contract extensions this time around.
Wait a minute I’m down with a leg irons I’ll have a great excuse why I’m over allowed, and I’ll have some great thighs.

AKCoverMan

This current they was proposing three 13 hour days
Ok nearly 30 years ago I worked a union airline job in Denver.. we had schedules we could bid that were three 12 hour days and a 4 hour day. The short day was either the PM of first day of week or AM of the last day.

I don’t have old contracts anymore no idea how it was written in. I remember it was all straight time till 40 hours.

The people who liked it were younger single people who liked using the three and a half days off to play. With airline travel benefits back then you could take a lot of cool weekend trips with a 3 1/2 day weekend.

AKCoverMan

This raises a question in my mind...in general, what issues are covered by the NMA and what goes in the supplementals? If every supplemental has no forced sixth punch, why not just put that in the national?

Generally I see stuff like vacations, holidays, sick leave, etc and working rules like schedules, days off, etc all written at local level which is why the forced sixth punch language will need to go there too. Could very well see National language proposed too it‘s a pretty hot topic issue.

The why of what goes where in the contract is a pretty complex answer.…short version is the contract is kinda a living document that has been modified over and over again. At once point there was no National Master just individual local contracts…when we went into a National Master they left room for locals to still negotiate local working rules locally.

It was a weird thing to me coming in…. 30 years ago I worked in the airline industry, our union had one single contract that covered everyone at every station the airline served.

Generally I see stuff like vacations, holidays, sick leave, etc and working rules like schedules, days off, etc all written at local level which is why the forced sixth punch language will need to go there too. Could very well see National language proposed too it‘s a pretty hot topic issue.

The why of what goes where in the contract is a pretty complex answer.…short version is the contract is kinda a living document that has been modified over and over again. At once point there was no National Master just individual local contracts…when we went into a National Master they left room for locals to still negotiate local working rules locally.

It was a weird thing to me coming in…. 30 years ago I worked in the airline industry, our union had one single contract that covered everyone at every station the airline served.
Watch this. It will explain why.

UPS wasn't always a nationwide company
Thread 'New Video! Is our contract needlessly COMPLEX?' New Video! Is our contract needlessly COMPLEX? | UPS Union Issues

AKCoverMan

I’ve been told by party I feel can be believed that there has been talk of trying to just make one contract but it would be a heavy lift.. many locals would not agree to completely giving up their autonomy.

We have local language for grievance process if it’s over something in our local supplement we don’t have to docket the case at West or National we have our own State panel. This means we hear cases quicker and it happens at home instead of a trip to the lower 48. Probably don’t want to give that up.

But the complex contract makes It hard for members to understand. IMO we need to do more to educate the membership on what contract says in practical, non contract language terms. Giving a member a thick multicolored contract book is not enough.