eats packages

Deranged lunatic
No but they can be laid off till needed and have to do two PT shifts.
Layoffs involve contacting the union hall and either scheduling a return date next week or sending a certified letter in the mail.
Some locals do not have temporary layoff languge, what would that entail? you ask me.

542thruNthru

Layoffs involve contacting the union hall and either scheduling a return date next week or sending a certified letter in the mail.
Some locals do not have temporary layoff languge, what would that entail? you ask me.
I'd have to see your layoff language. I do know most say they have to be for at least a week. Recall language should be in it all so.

AKCoverMan

I'm a 22.4 and i'm aware we're negotiating on removing this position on the next contract all together. Does anybody have an insight on what would happen to current 22.4s such as myself if my job classification were to be removed on the next contract? Transfer to RPCD? 22.3? Back to part time?
Don’t worry, eliminating the classification does not eliminate the packages you’ve been moving. You’ll most likely have a new title, new pay rate, and better work rules.

AKCoverMan

We have daily layoff by seniorit. Our ”cover drivers” are RPCDs with no bid route…if Not enough bid Drivers off or splits to assign the lowest seniority drivers are “on the bench”. Language allows senior guy to voluntarily take junior guys layoff day.

I hope we have a bench tomorrow I’m on a “one day weekend”. 🤣🤣

AKCoverMan

I think 22.4 will go away. But with it will go the idea that RPCD is strictly a Mon-Fri gig. Like it or not a demand exists to move packages on weekends. There’s money to be made and operating beyond five days a week means more Teamster Jobs, more contributions to pension.

Seniority will be the drivers path to securing the days off that work in your life. For many, weekends off may be the goal. If we had service on Saturday I’d actually prefer Sunday Monday for my weekend as I have an activity on Monday evenings. Eight hour days don’t get me there on time.

Thebrownblob

I think 22.4 will go away. But with it will go the idea that RPCD is strictly a Mon-Fri gig. Like it or not a demand exists to move packages on weekends. There’s money to be made and operating beyond five days a week means more Teamster Jobs, more contributions to pension.

Seniority will be the drivers path to securing the days off that work in your life. For many, weekends off may be the goal. If we had service on Saturday I’d actually prefer Sunday Monday for my weekend as I have an activity on Monday evenings. Eight hour days don’t get me there on time.
Yep and this is exactly what Obrian said was on the table. Told us to take it back to our barns and let the people know that’s what we’re pushing for.

AKCoverMan

Saturday and Sunday as firm, hard days off was rated as “wildly important“ to the Full Time drivers five years ago and was big reason we got 22.4. The upside was it made a bunch of full time positions with full time pension and benefit packages for work that was being performed by a lot of part time classifications with a variety of names it different locals working full time hours when the were called to drive. The downsides of 22.4 are well documented and I won’t repeat them here.

Five years later the RPCDs who look at Saturday and Sundays as “holy days” are mostly all senior enough that they will get it anyway. Younger, newer drivers have grown up in “open seven days a week” society. IMO it’s an easier sell to the membership this time around.

Sporhwhore

The irony is that perhaps the single biggest issue being fought for is making 22.4's RPCD's, but a strike would likely mean many of them would be laid off permanently. This because of the damage a strike would do to the business. Imagine being a 22.4 driver with a steady job and the union strikes for your sake, and you end up in the unemployment line instead. Ouch.
Very good point actually!!!!

Pullman Brown

Saturday and Sunday as firm, hard days off was rated as “wildly important“ to the Full Time drivers five years ago and was big reason we got 22.4. The upside was it made a bunch of full time positions with full time pension and benefit packages for work that was being performed by a lot of part time classifications with a variety of names it different locals working full time hours when the were called to drive. The downsides of 22.4 are well documented and I won’t repeat them here.

Five years later the RPCDs who look at Saturday and Sundays as “holy days” are mostly all senior enough that they will get it anyway. Younger, newer drivers have grown up in “open seven days a week” society. IMO it’s an easier sell to the membership this time around.

The contract still has to have stronger safe guards on six punch even if 22.4s go away and some RPCDS go to Tues- Saturday because you still have to staff the operations on Monday and the company is notorious for low balling staffing.

AKCoverMan

The contract still has to have stronger safe guards on six punch even if 22.4s go away and some RPCDS go to Tues- Saturday because you still have to staff the operations on Monday and the company is notorious for low balling staffing.
I expect every sup to have no forced sixth punch language.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
I personally don't see Sunday delivery happening anytime soon. I could be wrong.

With that being said, in my previous career I always had Wed and Thursday off, and that had it's advantages. Drs Appts, school stuff for the kids, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to a T thru Sat schedule. Life is all about perspective, I'm not going to get a brain bleed over that.

Thebrownblob

I personally don't see Sunday delivery happening anytime soon. I could be wrong.

With that being said, in my previous career I always had Wed and Thursday off, and that had it's advantages. Drs Appts, school stuff for the kids, etc. I wouldn't be opposed to a T thru Sat schedule. Life is all about perspective, I'm not going to get a brain bleed over that.
We have seniority drivers now who would not mind working Saturday but they don’t want to have to come in Monday if they do so.

JL 0513

We would continue to be the only carrier not delivering on Sunday. Remarkably, the Post Office delivers Sunday (parcels) and I never thought I'd see the day. I agree though that I don't see it happening this contract because of all the other heat being put on the company to avoid a strike. They'd have to have some balls to push Sundays.

Having a weekday off does have it's benefits like you mentioned. I always have to fill up certain vacation weeks with appointments to do things you can't get done on the weekend.

We would continue to be the only carrier not delivering on Sunday. Remarkably, the Post Office delivers Sunday (parcels) and I never thought I'd see the day. I agree though that I don't see it happening this contract because of all the other heat being put on the company to avoid a strike. They'd have to have some balls to push Sundays.

Having a weekday off does have it's benefits like you mentioned. I always have to fill up certain vacation weeks with appointments to do things you can't get done on the weekend.
I don't think they'd really have to push to get Sunday service in. There's language abound for it, and if we get a majority of what we're "demanding" it's an easy give. The union isn't interested in trying to tell UPS they can't work any certain days, they're just making sure they're covered in people's five (or maybe even four) day work week.

JL 0513

Our local BA says UPS not only wants the 7 day schedule but is pushing to create a totally flexible schedule in which week to week, you will be scheduled to work any given 5 days. Maybe we'd get the schedule a week or two in advance but we'd have the lifestyle of a retail worker. If you have an important weekend event, you could request weeks in advance and hope for the best. 👎

By the way, he fully expects we're going on strike saying UPS is demanding concessions across the board.

Pullman Brown

Our local BA says UPS not only wants the 7 day schedule but is pushing to create a totally flexible schedule in which week to week, you will be scheduled to work any given 5 days. Maybe we'd get the schedule a week or two in advance but we'd have the lifestyle of a retail worker. If you have an important weekend event, you could request weeks in advance and hope for the best. 👎

By the way, he fully expects we're going on strike saying UPS is demanding concessions across the board.

Yeah that’s not happening! Well, if that is what it takes!