Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I got this wonderful news this morning while standing in a PCM attended by about 150 drivers. Our Division Manager actually said, "We weren't planning for what happened this week". And I thought that planning is his job. My Center alone was having more Left In Buildings than a major Hub nearby. I have never seen such poor planning in all my years. We were also told that Saturday is mandatory for everybody the next four weeks. All of this with a contract vote coming up.
Weren't planning for this. These are the types of things that make me wonder if this company will make it til I retire.

Every ups hourly employee in America has seen the writing on the wall for at least 4-5 years.

Capacity is something you don't just spend some money blink your eyes and it's there. Capacity takes at least a couple of years to plan and build. So while this year may be bad. I fully expect next year to be worse.

Last edited:

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Weren't planning for this. These are the types of things that make me wonder if this company will make it til I retire.

Every ups hourly employee in America has seen the writing on the wall for at least 4-5 years.

Capacity is something you don't just spend some money blink your eyes and it's there. Capacity that takes at least a couple of years to plan and build. So while this year may be bad. I fully expect next year to be worse.
I’m really hoping not, but this year may be worse than 2013

YUOVER95

One of our Supervisors found it hilarious that as we were being told about the 60 to 70 hour change he was up on a bench watching smiling and taking photos and videos with his phone of us and our reaction to the news. :censored2:bag!!!

35years

Gravy route
One of our Supervisors found it hilarious that as we were being told about the 60 to 70 hour change he was up on a bench watching smiling and taking photos and videos with his phone of us and our reaction to the news. :censored2:bag!!!
Somehow I don't think he will be smiling when he sees how "productive" those extra 10 hours are.

Box Ox

Misery loves company.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Make them pay!!!

They want us in there on Saturday then make them regret it. Do your job by the books.....no shortcuts....only park on the curb....only walk the designated walk path....only cross behind the truck....three points of contact....face bulkhead door....drive the speed limit....use existing tools....everything to the letter of the law. Then when you reach your 70.... pull over and call for them to pick you up.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
70 isn’t even possible. I don’t work Saturdays, which means if they did switch to 70 they could work me 14 a day. With lunch that’s 15 a day. You wouldn’t have a 10 hour reset. Someone explain to me what I’m missing. Is the 70 only so people can work Saturday? You can’t be worked 70 in 5.

If you're working 14 a day, 15 with lunch you'll have a short peak season. That would be a DOT violation every day.

You can only work 14 hours each day and that includes breaks and lunch (unless you qualify for the extension which is 16 hours once per week). After you finish you subtract your break and lunch time from the 14 you worked.

If you work through midnight it's a little tougher, just be sure to write down when you took meal and break and for how long. That way you can figure it out at anytime.

Yes I said subtract break time. I know half will day I am wrong but it is subtracted because you are off duty and free to do whatever you want to do.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
One of our Supervisors found it hilarious that as we were being told about the 60 to 70 hour change he was up on a bench watching smiling and taking photos and videos with
If you're working 14 a day, 15 with lunch you'll have a short peak season. That would be a DOT violation every day.

You can only work 14 hours each day and that includes breaks and lunch (unless you qualify for the extension which is 16 hours once per week). After you finish you subtract your break and lunch time from the 14 you worked.

If you work through midnight it's a little tougher, just be sure to write down when you took meal and break and for how long. That way you can figure it out at anytime.

Yes I said subtract break time. I know half will day I am wrong but it is subtracted because you are off duty and free to do whatever you want to do.
Nope...lol

Turdferguson

Just a turd
The Southern Regional Supplement defines the work week as 5 consecutive 8hr days or 4 consecutive 10hr days. Nothing about a 6 day work week in there.
Teamsters National just posted this memo..

https://teamster.org/sites/teamster..._finalb.pdf#overlay-context=users/david-white

"Any employee who works on the sixth (6th) report shall be paid
time and one-half (1-1/2) the straight time hourly rate for all work
performed on that day. Any employee who works on the seventh
(7th) report shall be paid double (2) the straight time hourly rate for
all work performed on that day.
An employee who is on a four (4) ten (10) hour day schedule and
works on the fifth (5th) and/or sixth (6th) report may, at the option
of the Employer, be scheduled for a minimum of eight (8) hours on
such reports."
There it is, it's Article 58 section 1 subsection (B).
Under overtime

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree. Use your supplement and local laws. 1 Example, in RI, state law states you can refuse to work on a Sunday so the 70/8 rule will never apply to us.

Suppose one of your co-workers decided that they wanted to work------would they be given extra work on Monday or would they go out with what they have left over from their original dispatch?

This is one of the reasons I am leery of volunteering to work on a Saturday------I deliver most of what I have on my car only to be given work from a neighboring route.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
It is, but the Company still has a choice.
The only reason they are allowed to do this is if feeders is operating on Sundays. I still think they are violating the rules as package does not operate on Sundays. But if they are using the operations are 7 days a week it is only through peak and would not be able to implement it outside of peak

What'dyabringmetoday???

The only reason they are allowed to do this is if feeders is operating on Sundays. I still think they are violating the rules as package does not operate on Sundays. But if they are using the operations are 7 days a week it is only through peak and would not be able to implement it outside of peak
Actually, Feeder department does have seven day a week operation year round. Maybe not in each location, but in general, there are feeder runs out there on Saturday and Sunday somewhere in the country. But there is no need to go to 70 hour rule. Other than not being able to figure out when Christmas is. Lol.

vvv

Sad to say.... I feel this is nothing more than posturing.

What are we gonna do? Strike? I mean it's cut and dry. Just call in sat. Problem solved. I don't need a letter to tell that to me.

As a matter of fact, yes I do believe we should. For this and a handful of other reasons. They are in desperate need of an attention getting action PRIOR to the near end of this contract.

We must dig in and get a far better deal. Or as you see things slide by little by little in many facets and then it becomes the norm and it's hard to go back on.

vvv

Sad to say.... I feel this is nothing more than posturing.

What are we gonna do? Strike? I mean it's cut and dry. Just call in sat. Problem solved. I don't need a letter to tell that to me.

As far as Saturday goes by me they were asking but not forcing. Having said that you shouldn't need to call in not to work Saturday if you were being forced in......it just shouldn't be in play PERIOD.
And this is partially what that letter wants to prevent.....amongst what else was written in there.