A lot of talk but...

Tony Q

It's not difficult.

You want to hear an answer, that soothes your soul.

Have you gone Mano-a-mano with your Local officials, asking those questions ?

Like at a monthly meeting.... in front of God and everyone else ?

-Bug-
If not he should. Its not like it Was in the sixties and seventies. You would get thrown out, now you don't have to worry about getting beat down. Different area.

BigBrown1234

Guess you’re not going to answer my question

That’s ok didn’t figure you would

He didn’t respond to me either

That's kind of the problem.(This kind of thinking is the problem, why no one goes to the Union meetings or gets involved or votes.)

Elected Union Officials, are not your employees. (I pay a part of their wages so I become the CUSTOMER and everyone knows the CUSTOMER is always RIGHT!)

They are elected by majority vote of the membership. (The majority of the members DONT VOTE! So the elected officials really only represent the 10% of the opinions(for lack of a better term) of the votes that got them elected)

If they are not performing up to your expectations, by all means....voice your opinion and be part of the solution.
(I am)

But in no way, shape, or form.... are you their "employer".(see above)

Don't try and act as such. That's what the ballot box is for. (In my opinion the voting system is corrupt through the concept of SLATE voting, and appointing members to elected positions through board approval.)

The system is obviously failing with your current philosophy. Union membership and participation is at an all time low. The ME GENERATION and the old ARROGANT guard are like oil and water. But like a said before if the Union leadership does not adopt the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT concept then I can GUARANTEE the CUSTOMER will always WIN. Everyone understands that without the customer you don’t exist

-Bug- (My response)

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

That's kind of the problem.(This kind of thinking is the problem, why no one goes to the Union meetings or gets involved or votes.)

Elected Union Officials, are not your employees. (I pay a part of their wages so I become the CUSTOMER and everyone knows the CUSTOMER is always RIGHT!)

They are elected by majority vote of the membership. (The majority of the members DONT VOTE! So the elected officials really only represent the 10% of the opinions(for lack of a better term) of the votes that got them elected)

If they are not performing up to your expectations, by all means....voice your opinion and be part of the solution.
(I am)

Don't try and act as such. That's what the ballot box is for. (In my opinion the voting system is corrupt through the concept of SLATE voting, and appointing members to elected positions through board approval.)

The system is obviously failing with your current philosophy. Union membership and participation is at an all time low. The ME GENERATION and the old ARROGANT guard are like oil and water. But like a said before if the Union leadership does not adopt the CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT concept then I can GUARANTEE the CUSTOMER will always WIN. Everyone understands that without the customer you don’t exist

-Bug- (My response)

Wow.

Maybe before your next post.... you could try breaking the prozac in half.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

(I am)

-Bug- (My response)
Once national RTW kicks in, the truck drivers turned union reps will view their membership a bit differently. Regardless, the oldschool "all for one, one for all" mentality is long gone, along with the horizontal approach to power. Might as well be Wal-Mart.

BigBrown1234

The members of course but they are elected and once this happens they make decisions on your behalf.

They aren’t given a blank check to make random decisions.
Get familiar with the Labor Management Reporting And Disclosure ACT found under the Department of Labor.
Also look up union members bill of rights.
All decisions are subjected to a process of democracy.
Have you read your locals bylaws?
Have you studied the Teamsters Constitution?
Are you familiar with the job description of each elected official?
Are you familiar with the standards they are held too?

If you answered NO to any of the above then, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

BigBrown1234

It's not difficult.

You want to hear an answer, that soothes your soul.

Have you gone Mano-a-mano with your Local officials, asking those questions ?

Like at a monthly meeting.... in front of God and everyone else ?

-Bug-

I have called our representatives out for not following our bylaws/constitution plenty of times.

Unfortunately the DOL won’t enforce certain titles under the Union members bill of rights.

The feds told me I had to get a personal attorney to force them to comply with things like holding stewards elections and making motions on the floor during a general membership meeting. Very sad.

And yes I even wasted more of my precious time attempting to appeal to the JC then to the International. It’s all the same mind/people.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have called our representatives out for not following our bylaws/constitution plenty of times.

Unfortunately the DOL won’t enforce certain titles under the Union members bill of rights.

The feds told me I had to get a personal attorney to force them to comply with things like holding stewards elections and making motions on the floor during a general membership meeting. Very sad.

And yes I even wasted more of my precious time attempting to appeal to the JC then to the International. It’s all the same mind/people.
Knowing what I know about my local union, it's best just to step aside and not waste precious time and money trying to do good and right for people. The new union mentality, do what works best for #1. Because no one else is going to, unless it involves enough votes being at stake.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When you are serving in an appointed position on a committee, you follow the rules

or you're not part of it anymore.... and that's exactly what happened. Real simple.

And, how would they know (if anything) is happening "behind closed doors" ?

Truth be told, they are afraid of their own members and are using the situation to look like

martyrs, for their own political gain and survival.

-Bug-
If this is indeed the case, why is Sean O still on this "Committee"???

Denis (Hoffa, lets be real here) has not displayed a consistency in enforcing these "committee rules" with these "martyrs", if you follow the progression.

I have posted frequently here that I believed that once the negotiations started, and they were actually at the table, those involved need to keep their cards close to their chests.
Membership invovlement comes in the form of proposals and the subsequent vote.

The one exception being when the notion of a strike authorization is raised.
When it gets to the point where strike authorization is put to a vote, now we need to see "the cards" and be informed as to what impass(es) are being encountered in these negotiations.
Due to past negotiations, carte blanche for these negotiators is not an option, sorry.

~Bbbl~™

UnconTROLLed

perfection
A steward is a thankless position. I would never call any steward a lowly steward. They catch enough flack.
Steward being "thankless" and catching flack, and also at the bottom of the power chain, is a lowly place to be. WIth todays unions there is a very vertical power structure thus you are working for the BA's, working for the members, along with working for UPS management. It's a terrible position to be in, not that it should be.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Steward being "thankless" and catching flack, and also at the bottom of the power chain, is a lowly place to be. WIth todays unions there is a very vertical power structure thus you are working for the BA's, working for the members, along with working for UPS management. It's a terrible position to be in, not that it should be.

That was disappointing to see @burrheadd refer to himself as that, but I can

certainly relate to it. Being in any elected position can be a thankless job.

The old rule of thumb is;

Today you're a hero.... tomorrow your a zero.

But it doesn't mean you give up.

-Bug-

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If this is indeed the case, why is Sean O still on this "Committee"???

Denis (Hoffa, lets be real here) has not displayed a consistency in enforcing these "committee rules" with these "martyrs", if you follow the progression.

If I had to guess, the ones that got dismissed were attributed to the info

being put out by FZ and TDU. Sometimes disinformation can be used to track

the source of a leak.

I have posted frequently here that I believed that once the negotiations started, and they were actually at the table, those involved need to keep their cards close to their chests.
Membership invovlement comes in the form of proposals and the subsequent vote.

The one exception being when the notion of a strike authorization is raised.
When it gets to the point where strike authorization is put to a vote, now we need to see "the cards" and be informed as to what impass(es) are being encountered in these negotiations.

I can't disagree with any of that.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
They aren’t given a blank check to make random decisions.
Get familiar with the Labor Management Reporting And Disclosure ACT found under the Department of Labor.
Also look up union members bill of rights.
All decisions are subjected to a process of democracy.
Have you read your locals bylaws?
Have you studied the Teamsters Constitution?
Are you familiar with the job description of each elected official?
Are you familiar with the standards they are held too?

If you answered NO to any of the above then, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!

I'll give you a friendly piece of advice.

The more adversarial you are with your Local officials, the more resistant

they are going to be. They run the Local and control the executive board.

You come in waving the LMRDA flag, going to the JC, IBT, or DOL....

they are going to fight you every step of the way.

And right now.... it looks like they're winning.

-Bug-