A lot of talk but...

Tony Q

They aren’t given a blank check to make random decisions.
Get familiar with the Labor Management Reporting And Disclosure ACT found under the Department of Labor.
Also look up union members bill of rights.
All decisions are subjected to a process of democracy.
Have you read your locals bylaws?
Have you studied the Teamsters Constitution?
Are you familiar with the job description of each elected official?
Are you familiar with the standards they are held too?

If you answered NO to any of the above then, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!
I'm well schooled in them all. I do appreciate you trying to enlighten me!

upschuck

That was disappointing to see @burrheadd refer to himself as that, but I can

certainly relate to it. Being in any elected position can be a thankless job.

The old rule of thumb is;

Today you're a hero.... tomorrow your a zero.

But it doesn't mean you give up.

-Bug-
My take from him saying that, is that compared to your perceived position, that he was a steward, and not what your arrogant persona indicates you to be.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My take from him saying that, is that compared to your perceived position, that he was a steward, and not what your arrogant persona indicates you to be.

Until yesterday, I didn't know he was a Steward.

His self description, was a little disheartening and I tried to show him

a little tough Teamster love ?

Sometimes you have to motivate the troops.... to ascend the hill.

It's nothing personal.

-Bug-

upschuck

I have to agree,how can we have a strike authorization vote without any info on what is going on?
It is not to strike, it is to put added pressure on the ups negotiating team, that if need be, we will walk. If it does get voted down, ups will drag its feet, and no offer its best, since a walk out is not possible.

Most people on here don't even think that Hoffa has the balls to call a strike anyways.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He's also retired

31957814_10209761446027735_4152215317658992640_n.jpg

BigBrown1234

I'll give you a friendly piece of advice.

The more adversarial you are with your Local officials, the more resistant

they are going to be. They run the Local and control the executive board.

You come in waving the LMRDA flag, going to the JC, IBT, or DOL....

they are going to fight you every step of the way.

And right now.... it looks like they're winning.

-Bug-

I have attempted to get more members involved and support officials. Yet the senior members say the union is a waste of time, corrupt, rude, ignorant, arrogant and don’t want to hear anything that may contradict them. The younger members could care less. They think the union is controlled/part of the company and that the BA is part of the company’s HR and they don’t really trust him, lol

If I can’t help the officials and be part of the process because they have made it a closed system then I’m not going to waste my time.

Can I win? Pretty sure I have solid cases. Do I want to spend my own money and years to force them to do what is right? They have a group out there called TDU that already does that. Although I have filed numerous ULP’s and forced them to bend.
My experience has been that the current union leadership rather sink the ship than budge.

The amount of people opting out of being a teamster is growing. Many people rather just donate their union dues to charity.

I really do hope NRTW kicks in. Then union officials will be forced to have closer relationships with the members for them to justify paying dues. Or they will simply fade away. Refusing to evolve to the current times will be 100% fault of their own.

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have attempted to get more members involved and support officials. Yet the senior members say the union is a waste of time, corrupt, rude, ignorant, arrogant and don’t want to hear anything that may contradict them. The younger members could care less. They think the union is controlled/part of the company and that the BA is part of the company’s HR and they don’t really trust him, lol

If I can’t help the officials and be part of the process because they have made it a closed system then I’m not going to waste my time.

Can I win? Pretty sure I have solid cases. Do I want to spend my own money and years to force them to do what is right? They have a group out there called TDU that already does that. Although I have filed numerous ULP’s and forced them to bend.
My experience has been that the current union leadership rather sink the ship than budge.

The amount of people opting out of being a teamster is growing. Many people rather just donate their union dues to charity.

I really do hope NRTW kicks in. Then union officials will be forced to have closer relationships with the members for them to justify paying dues. Or they will simply fade away. Refusing to evolve to the current times will be 100% fault of their own.

I understand your concerns now.

You're a part-timer, wanting full-time wages.... without putting in the work.

Got it.

-Bug-

BigBrown1234

I understand your concerns now.

You're a part-timer, wanting full-time wages.... without putting in the work.

Got it.

-Bug-

Did I mention
You are sooo smart
You get me every time
Nothing gets past you :lol:

Are you insinuating PT work is not work or less work than FT?

Last edited:

Nike

The union should focus on wages and keeping the health insurance.
Everything else is secondary.
Period.

Nike

Pension too, you forgot about the pension
I agree pensions are an important issue, they help keep employees here long term, something I believe UPS may be struggling with.
But compared to wages which everybody receives, and healthcare which everybody signs on for, it's still secondary. I actually think UPS won't do anything with what's going on with the pensions tbh.
Most of our PTers don't know anything about pensions, and the same can be said with many fters.
You think these people are going to raise hell over something they know nothing about?

BigBrown1234

I agree pensions are an important issue, they help keep employees here long term, something I believe UPS may be struggling with.
But compared to wages which everybody receives, and healthcare which everybody signs on for, it's still secondary. I actually think UPS won't do anything with what's going on with the pensions tbh.
Most of our PTers don't know anything about pensions, and the same can be said with many fters.
You think these people are going to raise hell over something they know nothing about?

Unfortunately you may be correct :thumbdown

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
If I had to guess, the ones that got dismissed were attributed to the info

being put out by FZ and TDU. Sometimes disinformation can be used to track
Ok....fair enough, and for the record, I suspected a "misinformation attempt" for awhile....

....and the strike authorization/Local Officials voting rumor raised my ears.
I thought the authorization comes form the membership???

That being said, again, why does Sean O get a pass for talking away from the table???

~Bbbl~™

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That being said, again, why does Sean O get a pass for talking away from the table???

Personally, I haven't seen anything Sean O has said or done that equaled what

the others have. Lets face it.... splashing negative info all over facebook and

giving it to TDU, was probably what did it for the ones that got dismissed.

32153712_10209767905749224_4784290819794272256_n.jpg

This is a great way to communicate with the members, and show respect to the IBT

without getting too detailed. I don't have all the answers, on this issue.

Also (the ones dismissed) were there as an extension of the "olive branch"

to begin with, but again couldn't follow the rules.

-Bug-

twoweeled

Just my two cents. I do not see anything different than the past several contracts, except this will most likely be voted down mainly because of the involvement of social media. What will be the same is, work under the old agreement until enough people finally say friend it, give me Retro Junior and DT will never call a strike . I believe some of these folks were kicked off because they made too much noise about what is going on behind closed doors
1. Don't be so sure about being voted down. People have an ability to rationalize things in order to avoid a strike. UPS knows this. People talk big early on, then the reality of a strike gets people thinking. The the .35 cents doesn't sound so bad! Aborigines don't get these kind of raises! What am I complaining about? Stupid me! Management is too kind!
2. There have always been leaks during negotiations. ALWAYS! It's more a matter of, is the correct BS being leaked. It's not a matter of leaks, it's a matter of what is being leaked. Apparently, someone with much authority didn't like what was being leaked.

opie

The national being voted down, doesn't mean there will be a strike. Strike would be costly on both sides. So IMO it would be unlikely. But the national being voted down, I think it is very possible.

Last edited: