over9five

Staff member
I'm big on the power nap. When I first came out to Feeders, the bigwig told me "If you get too tired, pull over and take a nap. Better a late load than a crash".
I pull over, set my cell alarm for ten minutes. That's usually enough. If not, I'll do it again later.

barnyard

KTM rider
I listen to podcasts. Sometimes funny, sometimes serious. If they are engaging, they keep me awake and alert. I also get a good day's sleep, so that helps too.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
7FAFAC91-CEC9-4A2F-9913-C247F0B86619.gif
this is supposed to be a serious thread for serious feeder driver questions. if you don't have anything constructive to add, just go play in your sandbox thread.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
to get the most sleep during the day we darkened the bedroom with heavy curtains and used fans so outside noises would not awaken.

power naps was also mentioned. with practise you learn to sleep 10-15 minutes at a time in a pinch or combine your meal and breaks for a longer nap. however, sometimes you wake up more groggy from these longer naps.

I would make more frequent stops to walk around the trailers and bump tires and check airlines. bosses didn't like that sometimes but too bad if i needed to be refreshed.

also fresh air by opening the windows on a cold night.

running around the trailers also helped wake me up if i could feel myself getting stale. gets the blood flowing to the brain.

coffee and energy drinks help a little but if you are real tired it really doesn't help. nothing usually works but real rest like a power nap.
I’ve never had anyone sup call me out on taking a long lunch or having to stop for an additional tire bump...it’s a hell of a lot better than running the loads off the road and killing myself or other people...I know when I get to that point when I start “micro sleeping”...and this is when I head for the next exit to take a nap or get out and walk around....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm big on the power nap. When I first came out to Feeders, the bigwig told me "If you get too tired, pull over and take a nap. Better a late load than a crash".
I pull over, set my cell alarm for ten minutes. That's usually enough. If not, I'll do it again later.
The real question is did you punch out on a break or lunch????

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I’ve never had anyone sup call me out on taking a long lunch or having to stop for an additional tire bump...it’s a hell of a lot better than running the loads off the road and killing myself or other people...I know when I get to that point when I start “micro sleeping”...and this is when I head for the next exit to take a nap or get out and walk around....
I had the same supe hassle me a couple times about extra stops during the night. usually monday and tuesday nights were the hardest to get thru. friday night was the best because a lot of us would take a 2-3 hour meal to nap so we did not have to sleep during the day that much on Saturday.

my run was 10 pm til about 9-930 in morning. sleep from noon to 6-7pm. catch up on weekends.

forget about the idiots that think they run the BC.

I post here for the feeder drivers who actually want help. with 34 years experience, 23 in feeders, I feel I have something to contribute.

and the thanks I get from new members that contact me in private conversations ( probably afraid to post publicly in fear of ridicule ) prove that.

Indecisi0n

I had the same supe hassle me a couple times about extra stops during the night. usually monday and tuesday nights were the hardest to get thru. friday night was the best because a lot of us would take a 2-3 hour meal to nap so we did not have to sleep during the day that much on Saturday.

my run was 10 pm til about 9-930 in morning. sleep from noon to 6-7pm. catch up on weekends.

forget about the idiots that think they run the BC.

I post here for the feeder drivers who actually want help. with 34 years experience, 23 in feeders, I feel I have something to contribute.

and the thanks I get from new members that contact me in private conversations ( probably afraid to post publicly in fear of ridicule ) prove that.
If you feel wronged let me know. I'll handle it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What helped me the most was sticking to the same sleep schedule on the weekend. When I first came up I used to try and switch back to days on the weekend and then back to nights on Monday and I was always struggling a lot on my last leg. Once I started sticking to a night schedule on the weekend that problem went away, now I only switch back to days when I'm on vacation.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
What helped me the most was sticking to the same sleep schedule on the weekend. When I first came up I used to try and switch back to days on the weekend and then back to nights on Monday and I was always struggling a lot on my last leg. Once I started sticking to a night schedule on the weekend that problem went away, now I only switch back to days when I'm on vacation.
wife doesn't like that though

jaker

trolling
Yeah, I hear that from some of the other fellas whenever this subject comes up. My wife's totally cool with it though.
That is why I love the swing shift , I start at 1445 and I am able to get enough sleep and take a power nap and I am able to get trough the whole day easily

For the weekends I really don't have to change my sleep schedule at all

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
we tried that of course but it's hard on the kids, grand kids and spouse. but ya, that is the best way to do it.

over9five

Staff member
Probably the best way to do it, but I can't. I like to live like a normal human being on the weekends.