retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Got a call from HR about training for feeder driving. I’ve never driven a tractor trailer before. How do I prepair for this? Do you have to memorize the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits and all of that crap? How tough is the week of actual training? I heard it’s pretty tough. Do you have to have your CDL learners permit?
The training time is difficult. Back when I took it, we worked 3 consecutive weekends of 12 hour days, in addition to your regular workweek in package. Part of the training process is to weed out people who aren't serious about the training. (some people take the training just for the learning aspect, then dq them selves on the last day. Some take the training just because their seniority allowed them to get into the school.) The washout rate back then was over 80%. UPS would rather you have no previous tractor trailer experience going in. They would prefer you don't have any bad habits developed pre-school. They want you to learn it the UPS way.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Some places are so desperate for Fdr drivers , they will pay a school to teach you , some places run a school ,, either way , if you want to go to feeders bad enough , go get your cdl permit so they know your serious !! seniority don’t matter if they need somebody and your ready to go !!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Well I passed my road test in the brown truck, but did get deducted points a few times for not using engine breaking. Other than that he said I did pretty well. I havent driven a stick in over 3 years and never used engine breaking to come to a stop so i stuggled with that bit I passed and start feeder class on Sunday.
Congrats,,, I hope your left handed ,,, we are short now of right handed pin pullers ,, but you’ll manage ,, good luck bud :clap:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Some places are so desperate for Fdr drivers , they will pay a school to teach you , some places run a school ,, either way , if you want to go to feeders bad enough , go get your cdl permit so they know your serious !! seniority don’t matter if they need somebody and your ready to go !!
They've done it both ways here, UPS actually hates sending people to an outside school because it costs more money and all the school does is teach you how to pass the CDL test, they basically spend the whole week working on the pretrip, backing test and driving test and nothing else so they won't do it unless they really need a bunch of people and don't have the time to train them all in house. We had one guy who was DQed twice by UPS so he went and paid for a CDL school and got his Class A on his own, tried a 3rd time and UPS DQed him again.

Johney

Congrats,,, I hope your left handed ,,, we are short now of right handed pin pullers ,, but you’ll manage ,, good luck bud :clap:
*you're* Come on Bubba!

gatorkev85

Thanks I appreciate it. How tough is the class I've heard it' not all that bad from people and I've also heard it's pretty hard. What all does does the ups class intel? Will we even get in a truck? Or is it basically just learning the pre trip?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Thanks I appreciate it. How tough is the class
Back when I went, they had plenty of people on the bid list, so they could be selective. There was a little over 20 drivers in my class, and I think 4 or 5 made it all the way through. If I remember correctly, the first day, or maybe day and a half was all classwork, and they threw a lot at you. There was homework every night (memorization). We got into the tractor at the end of the second day after learning the pre-trip word for word. Then it was like a half day of just driving around the yard and backing in a straight line, then coupling and hitting the road around the building to practice shifting while driving. You are bombarded with so much intel, there is no way to comprehend it all. People dropping like flies here, and second-guessing their choice to go into feeders. You actually learn how to apply a lot of your new knowledge while driving down the road. The classwork begins to make sense. This part was actually easier than the classwork to me. You learn a lof about this job once you get on your own and there is more pressure off you. It gets easier every day after that.