58F63A97-3932-46C9-9D71-AB99706E5D66.gif
B372CB4A-85D0-4B38-95E8-F3BF17384DE3.gif
B4C4857B-5CB0-46EA-9B89-FE72D5550F71.gif
04BC98E0-F615-4C35-B473-8E55A7341668.gif
74CB545B-D8D0-4080-A273-20932A7A59A9.gif
D765069A-B8ED-4C6B-A71D-8F3F94D77CD9.gif

Indecisi0n

Translation:
Make sure you set the tractor brake (not the hand lever) when you get out of the truck.
Lol. Always.

The other night the handvavle was popping back and I pushed in the red and kept the tractor brake on and it held down. Guess each tractor is different.

trickpony1

Another helpful hint for Inde:
It's really important that the fifth wheel "slap" the underneath of the trailer as you SLOWLY back under it. This lets you know the trailer is not too high.

If the trailer is too high and you back under it and "jump" the pin you'll run the front of the trailer into the cab. Instant disqualification.

At some point you'll be able look at a trailer and tell if it's too high until you reach that point you need to slow down and be aware of your surroundings.

Please get rid of the package car mindset that everything has to be done real fast.

Kick it back.

Indecisi0n

Another helpful hint for Inde:
It's really important that the fifth wheel "slap" the underneath of the trailer as you SLOWLY back under it. This lets you know the trailer is not too high.

If the trailer is too high and you back under it and "jump" the pin you'll run the front of the trailer into the cab. Instant disqualification.

At some point you'll be able look at a trailer and tell if it's too high until you reach that point you need to slow down and be aware of your surroundings.

Please get rid of the package car mindset that everything has to be done real fast.

Kick it back.
Thank you for the heads up. I did witness a guy "jump the pin" already in the yard. He was cranking the trailer up super high and I went over to see if he was ok and super enough he explained it to me. Some older guy said he just wasn't paying attention (on headset).

Johney

Thank you for the heads up. I did witness a guy "jump the pin" already in the yard. He was cranking the trailer up super high and I went over to see if he was ok and super enough he explained it to me. Some older guy said he just wasn't paying attention (on headset).
Watch for the trailer to "lift up" when you back under and you should avoid this, also let me add if you ever have to back under a trailer at an angle(and you will at the rail yard)stop and double check that the kingpin is in the fifth wheel notch before completely hooking up.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Watch for the trailer to "lift up" when you back under and you should avoid this, also let me add if you ever have to back under a trailer at an angle(and you will at the rail yard)stop and double check that the kingpin is in the fifth wheel notch before completely hooking up.
Good point, Johney. When you come at an angle, it looks deceiving. As many years as I did it, it was still sketchy. "When in doubt, get out" and eyeball it. Don't just back till you hear a crunch.

trickpony1

...if you ever have to back under a trailer at an angle(and you will at the rail yard)...

I saw a driver back under a trailer at an angle at the railyard and REALLY bent the legs. If in doubt bobtail to the check point and tell them you can't get under it and request the hostler move it.

Do0n't succumb to the, "well....super driver "so and so" does it...why can't you?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm never coming back !!!!
That's what I said after my first day by myself. I was on the Q list for about 6 months after qualifying and never went back to package, there was a couple weeks where feeders told me they didn't have any work for me and I could go back to delivery if I wanted and I was like "No thanks, I'll just be on call".

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
That's what I said after my first day by myself. I was on the Q list for about 6 months after qualifying and never went back to package, there was a couple weeks where feeders told me they didn't have any work for me and I could go back to delivery if I wanted and I was like "No thanks, I'll just be on call".
Funny how your mindset changes once you experience feeders. You'd rather go to the worst job in feeders (on call) than go back to the best job in package car. (assuming you had one of the better jobs in your center via seniority.) I've seen drivers take layoffs (or vacations in lieu of layoffs) for weeks rather than go back. Speaks volumes.

Indecisi0n

Funny how your mindset changes once you experience feeders. You'd rather go to the worst job in feeders (on call) than go back to the best job in package car. (assuming you had one of the better jobs in your center via seniority.) I've seen drivers take layoffs (or vacations in lieu of layoffs) for weeks rather than go back. Speaks volumes.
I would honestly rather take layoff then go back. I despise everything package has become.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Truth. I had a pretty sweet route in delivery, cover drivers looking for work used to call me at home to see if I wanted the day off. Never missed it once I went to feeders.