Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So I saw something new lastnight with a guy building a set. He had the dolly in front of the kit, had the lead on hook. He then proceed to back the lead trailer into the dolly then pushed the dolly under the kit and it hooked. I was like WTF and kept rolling. I guess you can still move forward slightly and hook the dolly to the lead while its hooked to the kit? Very odd. In my mind I figure its a great way to damage the airlines but what do i know?

Can't do it that way, at least not without a spotter to push the dolly down a little as he backs the lead to attach the dolly to it.

I've seen a few not put the flapper down, and the dolly pop up as it hooked. The dolly pintle is about 2-4 inches above the pintle hook. It can be pushed down and lined up as the driver backs the lead, but impossible to do it by yourself and stupid to have someone push it down while you back.

He did one of two things.

1. He thought he had already put the dolly on the hook of the lead box.

2. He did not realize that he already hit the dolly, as he was backing to it to hook it, and was pushing it.

Brown Now

but I just never engage the trailer brakes when I’m parking.

Neither do I.
Different situations call for different actions.

-At a destination hub, I don't dry the brakes. Once I spot the trailer, it's their problem.
-At a podunk extended center, I might dry the brakes...it depends on how the people treat me.
-If I'm parking, for a short period of time, and will continue on with the same trailers...I don't set the trailer brakes.
-At a meet point, I might dry the brakes just to save the meet driver the hassle.

Whatever the case, don't be afraid to check that tractor park valve several times.

Stay hooked until your meet driver shows up. This is really only an issue when it’s wet/ freezing temps. Do your pretrip and go back in the cab and wait. When he or she arrives, wait for them to get ready to pull out, then lower your landing gear , pull your 5th wheel and lines and then pull out. It’s a courtesy. Don’t screw the next guy. Check out Twitter and look up @CachFeeder. Those guys covered that and all kinds off stuff. It’s pretty good.

Brown Now

but I just never engage the trailer brakes when I’m parking.

Neither do I.
Different situations call for different actions.

-At a destination hub, I don't dry the brakes. Once I spot the trailer, it's their problem.
-At a podunk extended center, I might dry the brakes...it depends on how the people treat me.
-If I'm parking, for a short period of time, and will continue on with the same trailers...I don't set the trailer brakes.
-At a meet point, I might dry the brakes just to save the meet driver the hassle.

Whatever the case, don't be afraid to check that tractor park valve several times.

I tell you what. I NEVER set my trailer brakes! It’s not going anywhere. Trust me. I’ve been doing this crap for almost 30 years. It’s also a great way to hear air leaks as you’re walking back to your unit, and if some dip:censored2: try’s to disconnect your lines, it’ll make a lot of noise and alert you if you’re one of them who gets back in the truck and takes off without checking your equipment ( not wise).

Johney

I tell you what. I NEVER set my trailer brakes! It’s not going anywhere. Trust me. I’ve been doing this crap for almost 30 years. It’s also a great way to hear air leaks as you’re walking back to your unit, and if some dip:censored2: try’s to disconnect your lines, it’ll make a lot of noise and alert you if you’re one of them who gets back in the truck and takes off without checking your equipment ( not wise).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone disconnects your lines even if you set your trailer brakes you're going anywhere.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I'm not gonna stir the pot but...
It's a good idea to check the service side in case someone thought it would be cute to pop a service line.
I agree. I like to check PAL every time before I reenter the cab. Eventually someone will mess with you.

PAL= pin/fifth wheel , airlines/light cord, legs raised

Brown Now

Anytime that vehicle is out of your sight, you do a walk around when you get back. Check all couplings,air lines and valves.

If they disconnect your service ( Blue) line, you won’t know until you hit your brakes. I jump in the cab, pull my trailer brake down ,turn all lights and 4 ways on and do a quick walk around. On my last trailer( if I’m pulling doubles or triples) I open the valves and make sure I’ve got air coming out.

I’ve had my meet man on more than one occasion bring me my set of triples with no service line air going to the 3rd trailer.

The equipment doesn’t move until I’m satisfied. It’s peace of mind. I don’t take chances.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
This happened Friday morning where we drive. It boggles my mind how so many people drive in these conditions like it is a bright, sunny day. That includes truckers, too.

King Of The Mountain

down in a holler
This happened Friday morning where we drive. It boggles my mind how so many people drive in these conditions like it is a bright, sunny day. That includes truckers, too.

And this is why they close or restrict heavily half the major highways in PA when it starts coming down. 12 hours of no travel is way better than the three days of wreckers cleaning up fedex ground doubles on i-81.

Indecisi0n

Mack%2BTrucks%2B-%2BMack%2BDog-734786.png