cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Mack%2BTrucks%2B-%2BMack%2BDog-734786.png

We had a feeder driver retire years ago, and was presented the brass one off his flat-nose Mack.

Bigfoot11

So I've been in package for about 2 years but have a long term goal of getting into feeders. Everytime I see the feeder bid there seems to always be two of them. 1.) For anyone who already has a class A which is never signed) and 2.) For guys that have a :censored2: ton of seniority and ups will train you. (The signatures are to the floor)

If I wanted to get into feeder sooner would it be better to just go get trained on my own for my class a? Or would seniority still prevail?
Thanks guys!

Driver7906

So I've been in package for about 2 years but have a long term goal of getting into feeders. Everytime I see the feeder bid there seems to always be two of them. 1.) For anyone who already has a class A which is never signed) and 2.) For guys that have a :censored2: ton of seniority and ups will train you. (The signatures are to the floor)

If I wanted to get into feeder sooner would it be better to just go get trained on my own for my class a? Or would seniority still prevail?
Thanks guys!

Seniority prevails. Don't spend your own money on the license when the company does it for you when it's your turn to go.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Thanks guys!
Just keep signing, you'd be surprised how many senior guys sign the list and then bail at the last minute or don't make it through the training.

Indecisi0n

Thanks guys!
No, getting a CDL on your own gives you no advantage.

Johney

So I've been in package for about 2 years but have a long term goal of getting into feeders. Everytime I see the feeder bid there seems to always be two of them. 1.) For anyone who already has a class A which is never signed) and 2.) For guys that have a :censored2: ton of seniority and ups will train you. *(The signatures are to the floor)*

Thanks guys!

Depends, we got guys who made it to feeders before they even hit top pay. I know at least two buildings where they're hiring feeders off the street because guys won't sign the list.
I'd agree if it wasn't for this statement from the OP. That tells me it'll be a long time for the OP.

Bigfoot11

So it would still be smart to just wait it out and sign it every quarter?

I only ask because what's the point of a bid sheet for package car drivers that already have a class a and just the seniority sign up sheet?

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I only ask because what's the point of a bid sheet for package car drivers that already have a class a and just the seniority sign up sheet?
I don't really get that part, we don't do that here. We just have one bid sheet.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?

Here’s what I’d do:

Read the sections of your supplement that is in effect now then see if there are changes coming in your new supplement.

I’d find out who the feeder steward is and have a “how does this actually work” conversation with him. The steward also more than likely has a pretty good idea on what staffing needs due to seasonal fluctuations and what retirements are soon to come.

It’s posible that how things have worked in the past may be changing once the new contract is implemented.

Set yourself up to be in the best position possible but I’d be hesitant to drop your own money for training if it’s not going to do much for you long term. Sign every single bid and list until you’re in feeders.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

So with all this snow going on I wonder, what do you do if you are on an interstate/turnpike and a commerical restriction goes into effect? If you see a sign for commercial restriction to you quickly pull off or just continue on? What if there is my way back from where you are going without using the interstate?