Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I usually stay on daily coverage and have quite a few weeks close to or over 3,000 miles.

We have quite a few runs that you will be right at your 11 hours drive time because of beach traffic or rush hour in a major city.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You can have that stuff, I like my local run.
As you work your way up in feeder seniority, you can get more of what you want in a run. Some guys want 60 hours, some want 40. Some want the most miles with the least amount of TA's. Some drivers wanted days, some nights. Some want to be paid mileage, some hourly. I personally liked working locally and nights. Drivers would come up to me and ask me why, with my seniority (19 out of about 150) I chose to work local and at night? It fit my home schedule. Nights are a lot cooler. Less suits walking around to get into your business. Less traffic. And quite frankly, on long runs, I had a tendency to get drowsy. To each his own. We have one run that is 646 miles round trip. No thanks.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
As you work your way up in feeder seniority, you can get more of what you want in a run. Some guys want 60 hours, some want 40. Some want the most miles with the least amount of TA's. Some drivers wanted days, some nights. Some want to be paid mileage, some hourly. I personally liked working locally and nights. Drivers would come up to me and ask me why, with my seniority (19 out of about 150) I chose to work local and at night? It fit my home schedule. Nights are a lot cooler. Less suits walking around to get into your business. Less traffic. And quite frankly, on long runs, I had a tendency to get drowsy. To each his own. We have one run that is 646 miles round trip. No thanks.
Those long runs are worse for you physically as well, all that extended sitting down is really bad for your health. A lot of the senior guys with those long runs are also in the worst shape healthwise. Over weight, high blood pressure, diabetic or pre diabetic. It's not like I'm busting my ass on my run, but I'm never in the seat for more than an hour without getting out and walking around, makes a big difference.

ManInBrown

Yeah. I’m a spare which means I work every single day, but don’t have a job. Spares bid weekly here to cover vacation and dis/comp. I prefer night also but I like the long runs but all the spares with more seniority take the long runs so I usually get stuck with local work. Looking forward to the day where I have enough seniority to bid and get the long runs.

brostalss

I'm only a year in Feeder. My favorite run so far is Hub to Hub runs. A good to 10 hour day is perfect for me.

I'll do a sleeper when I want a long weekend.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
With a year, you have enough seniority to bid sleeper vacations??
Where I was, The senior driver picked who he wants to be his co-driver. It didn't matter if you had been a driver for 3 weeks or 30 years. I had several people ask me to be a co-driver, but I always passed. I had doubts I could sleep in a sleeper, and I think I'd stay awake all night being sure the other driver wasn't taking a nap going down the road. That's where the money is in this department, tho.

Indecisi0n

Where I was, The senior driver picked who he wants to be his co-driver. It didn't matter if you had been a driver for 3 weeks or 30 years. I had several people ask me to be a co-driver, but I always passed. I had doubts I could sleep in a sleeper, and I think I'd stay awake all night being sure the other driver wasn't taking a nap going down the road. That's where the money is in this department, tho.
Can I be your Co driver ?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's how it is here. Years ago the A driver could even choose a part timer to take with him (as long as the he/she had their class A) and get them their full time seniority without them having wait their turn for a bid, this caused a lot of bitterness and there were supposedly cases where sleeper team drivers would even charge money to take a guy with them on a bid just so he could get his full time seniority. They fixed that loophole maybe 15-20 years ago.